Text message charges!

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
So my sister told me today that they charged her for going over 5000 text when she had the unlimtied text plan. My guess is the had the Talk 450 min plan with the $20 text addon package. Upon checking the website I noticed it shows the following "5000 texts and Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Texting $20/month/line". Now on the other hand I have the Talk & Text unlimited plan for $89.99 and notice it shows the following "Unlimited Messaging All Nationwide Talk & Text Plans include unlimited text, picture, video and instant messaging to anyone on any network in the U.S." Now why would they charge her for texting if the 2 different plans cost the same but one only offers 5000 text yet the other offers unlimited. If you look at the Talk & Text 450 min plan it is the same cost as the Talk plan with the text message add-on. They expect her to pay about $500 for sending a little over 8900 texts. My guess is when she signed up someone gave her the wrong plan and didn't give her the Talk & Text plan even though she clearly had both services. Is there anything that can be done?

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Yowza...that's almost 300 txt msgs per day...perhaps your sister needs to find something else to do besides sending one word txt msgs :-$
I'd call Verizon Customer Service and explain that your sister was told she had unlimited txt msgs...period. It would seem that the CSR that changed the status of her account apparently chose the wrong account scenario and she would like an adjustment to her bill and a correction to the appropriate account type. She may have to call several times until she finds a sympathetic CSR or ask to speak to a supervisor for relief.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Back before the mandatory data packages with smartphones, I had the pay as you go data for my Motorola Q. My wife used to pay the bill, and never noticed that they had been charging me $30 every month for a data package for about 6 months. I called and told them I had specifically told the Verizon worker that I wanted the pay as you go data and that they put the wrong plan on there. I explained that my wife didn't realize it was on there. After about 1.5 hours of talking to different people and demanding a credit, they finally gave me a credit for almost the whole amount...all but a month or two.

You just have to be persistent in telling them that it was their fault and they need to take care of it. You can always resort to threatening to leave (right now you wouldn't have to pay the ETF. http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-x/98822-cancel-verizon-contract-w-o-paying.html

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I still don't get why the Talk & Text is unlimited and it's the same price. I'll get her to call and complain some more.

Nothing2Lose

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I still don't get why the Talk & Text is unlimited and it's the same price. I'll get her to call and complain some more.

Verizon tries to make money off of unsuspecting customers. Look at their tiered data plans now. It used to be 29.99 for unlimited data and now it's the same price for a 2gb limit.

jSterling

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah my friends have had the same nightmare stories about charges and bills from Verizon they didn't even sign up for, one reason I've never in my life had or will have a Verizon phone.

Sent from my Optimus V running Cynogen 7

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah my friends have had the same nightmare stories about charges and bills from Verizon they didn't even sign up for, one reason I've never in my life had or will have a Verizon phone.

Sent from my Optimus V running Cynogen 7

If people actually paid attention that wouldn't happen.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My max text's messages were 10,000 a few months ago . There was no Xtra charges either .

Last edited:

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
i'd call verizon and tell them that you were over charged or there was a mistake.

went to re-activate my phone (replacement) they put me on the 2gb plan, called national support the next day, they told me more or less "oops, our bad, you are back on it now" went to check, and i was.

i broke from my mom's family plan in may 2010 and started my own contract, so, i had it well before the iPhone even hit verizon

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
i'd call verizon and tell them that you were over charged or there was a mistake.

went to re-activate my phone (replacement) they put me on the 2gb plan, called national support the next day, they told me more or less "oops, our bad, you are back on it now" went to check, and i was.

i broke from my mom's family plan in may 2010 and started my own contract, so, i had it well before the iPhone even hit verizon

What does the iphone being on verizon have to do with anything? I am sure people text just as much on all the phones.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
He was using the IPhone hitting Verizon as a time marker, not anything to do with the phone itself. That means he started his contract before any price tomfoolery happened.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
This will come as a surprise to everyone, but you are once again missing the entire point of the post.

1) He got a replacement phone activated AFTER tiered data took effect
2) His contract started BEFORE the IPhone hit, which was WAY before tiered data, so he should have been grandfathered in and wasn't. He had to call and have them change it back to unlimited.
3) The only reason he mentions the IPhone is to illustrate the point he was WELL BEFORE the grandfather cutoff

Nothing in his post says anything negative about the IPhone, Apple, or text messages. If you are going to pipe up and defend the IPhone with an attitude, DO read the ENTIRE post and DO try to follow along instead of seeing the word "IPhone" and automatically going on the defensive...