Buying a phone of eBay/C-List

mylasthope

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have a question about buying a phone off either C-List or eBay. Say if I buy a phone off C-List, call Verizon to check the ESN for me, and activate the phone under my account, a week later can the person report the phone lost/stolen and then I'm screwed? Or what if the phone was even stolen, but I still bought it and activated it on my account? Also, how would this work on eBay?

Also, do the manufacturer's warranties carry over so long as I get a receipt or box (as proof of purchase) from the person selling the phone?

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
If the seller does not have the ESN or MEID posted on the auction page, contact the seller and have him email you the ESN. Call Verizon before you bid to make sure the ESN is "clean". Then you can use your receipt from the auction as your proof of purchase so they can't say the phone is stolen. Keep any and all correspondence with the seller so you have something in your hand to take to small claims court if it comes to that.

mylasthope

May 13, 2010
Visit site
If the seller does not have the ESN or MEID posted on the auction page, contact the seller and have him email you the ESN. Call Verizon before you bid to make sure the ESN is "clean". Then you can use your receipt from the auction as your proof of purchase so they can't say the phone is stolen. Keep any and all correspondence with the seller so you have something in your hand to take to small claims court if it comes to that.

Hmm, what if the phone was actually stolen or lost? What if someone loses their phone, and I end up buying a phone said phone on ebay, which is then later reported as lost. Would small claims court / ebay buyer protection (does ebay buyer protection even cover this?) by my only recourse?

What about if I were to purchase the phone off C-list (these tend to be cheaper than ebay from my experience).

Last edited:

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
It's kind of on you to make sure the seller provides you the ESN and to call Verizon before you bid. I have bought a phone off clist before and I had the seller meet me at the VZW store and made sure it activated before cash exchanged hands.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

mylasthope

May 13, 2010
Visit site
It's kind of on you to make sure the seller provides you the ESN and to call Verizon before you bid. I have bought a phone off clist before and I had the seller meet me at the VZW store and made sure it activated before cash exchanged hands.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Hmm, what if the activation goes perfectly for a c-list phone, but the phone is actually a lost phone? Example: I lose my phone. Someone finds my phone and sells it on C-list the very next day (meets up with the buyer and the buyer activates it at a verizon store or calls in to activate it). Day after this happens, I report my phone lost. Is the buyer of the phone then out of luck?

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
If you buy a phone and activate it (keep any and all correspondence from the seller) and it is in fact stolen, when the REAL owner goes to report it lost, they will be told that phone is active on another line and can't be deactivated by them. It's rare that someone would not know where their phone is for the week that it took someone to sell it and not say something to the carrier. If YOU lose your phone, it is YOUR responsibility to report it to Verizon as soon as possible, not the day after it happens. If you find it later you can always call Verizon and have the ESN block lifted. Hope that helps...

mylasthope

May 13, 2010
Visit site
If you buy a phone and activate it (keep any and all correspondence from the seller) and it is in fact stolen, when the REAL owner goes to report it lost, they will be told that phone is active on another line and can't be deactivated by them. It's rare that someone would not know where their phone is for the week that it took someone to sell it and not say something to the carrier. If YOU lose your phone, it is YOUR responsibility to report it to Verizon as soon as possible, not the day after it happens. If you find it later you can always call Verizon and have the ESN block lifted. Hope that helps...

Awesome! I was worried that if I bought a phone off C-List that the seller could just report it stolen after I buy it from him. Guess not. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC