Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    KiboeTheDog's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    Buisiness GingerSense 3.0

    Default for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    okay, so, i updated ****, went with the 2gb a month plan. (got it put back)

    okay, so, here's the thing.....if you are really mad about the data, use a wifi location when you are in or near one.

    here is what i think.....do you really need to spend hours on your phone? really?
    i think this is good because it makes people take breaks. i really thing we have become to dependant on technology.

    just my random thought.
    Last edited by KiboeTheDog; 07-12-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Jo5329 likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    4 Email Clients syncing 24/7 (including Good)
    Pandora for music (Gym, Work, Driving)
    Facebook
    Google+
    Surfing web occasionally.
    Some Youtube vids.
    Those random I should Google that.
    Sorry open WiFi not always available in the grand United States
    Occasional need to Tether.
    Tether.com

    -Subtract time lost thanks to Verizon's wonderful Rebooting Thunderbolt.

    Most I have used was 1.6Gigs. Least I have used was 800Mb.
    On a bad month i bet i could bust the 2Gig mark.. If the phone worked.

    The day NetFlix becomes available for my phone without rooting... Thank you Unlimited Data Plan.
  3. #3  
    jahoobob's Avatar

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Quote Originally Posted by KiboeTheDog View Post
    here is what i think.....do you really need to spend hours on your phone? really?
    Some people use their smartphone as their only phone as well as their ONLY internet access. Your question then is "do you really need to spend hours on the internet?"
    Who are we to judge?
    Jo5329 likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Quote Originally Posted by KiboeTheDog View Post
    okay, so, i updated ****, went with the 2gb a month plan. (got it put back)

    okay, so, here's the thing.....if you are really mad about the data, use a wifi location when you are in or near one.

    here is what i think.....do you really need to spend hours on your phone? really?
    i think this is good because it makes people take breaks. i really thing we have become to dependant on technology.

    just my random thought.
    I hate when people THINK that they know what is good for everyone else, like it is any of their business.
  5. #5  
    Linkchomp's Avatar
    Droid Monster

    Posts
    734 Posts
    Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Yes, how dare we complain about Verizon new BS plans that make it hard to enjoy many of Androids features.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    I don't see why people are complaining either. We all knew these plans were coming. If you wanted unlimited then you should have switched before July 7th. Otherwise just pick the one that will work best for what you use. I use about 4GB a month since switching to Verizon and the iPhone. So for me I'd pick the 5GB a month one if I had to and go on as I am now. And I stream music, video, netflix, HBO Go, email, facebook, twitter, google+, many things on Beejive, the internet, skype, google voice and so on and so forth. I think that people just need something to complain about. It's simple to figure out. You look at how much you have been using and then choose which plan best fits with that.
    @missjennell
  7. #7  

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Tiered download quotas are MOSTLY a response to artificial scarcity. Start dusting off your pitchforks for the day Verizon builds no-bandwidth-charge "fast lanes" for VCAST apps.
  8. #8  
    shannonkish's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cynogen Mod

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    I use 2gb monthly easily.

    DroidTV
    Twitter (updates every 30 minutes)
    Google Reader
    Google+
    Netflix (runs maybe once a week)
    Pandora
    YouTube

    I use my phone for both work purposes and personal purposes. I run internet quite a bit throughout the day for work purposes because I am away from my office most days.

    It is easier than you think to reach the 2gb mark.
    Shannon Kish

    Android Convert from BB
  9. #9  

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Quote Originally Posted by shannonkish View Post
    I use 2gb monthly easily.

    DroidTV
    Twitter (updates every 30 minutes)
    Google Reader
    Google+
    Netflix (runs maybe once a week)
    Pandora
    YouTube

    I use my phone for both work purposes and personal purposes. I run internet quite a bit throughout the day for work purposes because I am away from my office most days.

    It is easier than you think to reach the 2gb mark.
    Do you actually monitor your data use or do you just assume your data use?
    @missjennell
  10. #10  
    shannonkish's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cynogen Mod

    Default

    I monitor it. For example, my plan starts on the 10th. As of today, i have used, 0.76 gb of data, in 9 days

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Shannon Kish

    Android Convert from BB
  11. #11  

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Quote Originally Posted by shannonkish View Post
    I monitor it. For example, my plan starts on the 10th. As of today, i have used, 0.76 gb of data, in 9 days

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Most people only use that in a month. I live on my phone though so I use a ton. But for an average user a 2GB plan would be fine. If not then there are other options.
    @missjennell
  12. #12  
    Dark Wizard Matoya's Avatar

    Posts
    2,107 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Quote Originally Posted by shannonkish View Post
    I use 2gb monthly easily.

    DroidTV
    Twitter (updates every 30 minutes)
    Google Reader
    Google+
    Netflix (runs maybe once a week)
    Pandora
    YouTube

    I use my phone for both work purposes and personal purposes. I run internet quite a bit throughout the day for work purposes because I am away from my office most days.

    It is easier than you think to reach the 2gb mark.
    I easily use 2GB a month as well, and I can't afford to pay for more (Verizon's tiered data prices are absurd). That's why the $29.99 unlimited plan was so great. I could use however much data I need/want in a month for one flat price. I'm just glad I got in on it on time. Besides, I hate having to tip-toe around a data cap. Verizon is insane if they think that I'm going to willingly pay more for less, and as soon as my contract is up it's on to Sprint.
    Last edited by Dark Wizard Matoya; 07-20-2011 at 12:58 AM.
    Rooted Droid Incredible
    +CM7
    +MIUI Camrea
    +ADW Launcher EX
    +Launcher2
    +Vignette
    +Synergy Theme
    +Blue Gingerbread ADW Theme
    +Nexus One Boot Animation
    +Widgets. Lots of widgets.
    =Pure awesome.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    KiboeTheDog's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    Buisiness GingerSense 3.0

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Wizard Matoya View Post
    I easily use 2GB a month as well, and I can't afford to pay for more (Verizon's tiered data prices are absurd). That's why the $29.99 unlimited plan was so great. I could use however much data I need/want in a month for one flat price. I'm just glad I got in on it on time. Besides, I hate having to tip-toe around a data cap. Verizon is insane if they think that I;m going to willingly pay more for less, and as soon as my contract is up it's on to Sprint.
    yeah, but where i live, sprint doesn't have data coverage, just their "nationwide network"
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KiboeTheDog View Post
    yeah, but where i live, sprint doesn't have data coverage, just their "nationwide network"
    Hopefully by the time your contract is up they will have coverage in your area.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    KiboeTheDog's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    Buisiness GingerSense 3.0

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    Hopefully by the time your contract is up they will have coverage in your area.
    i doubt it. besides, i mainlywant sprint for two reason, well three

    1. EVO (played with one at a sprint store in KC, MO a few months ago)
    2. NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile (i hate dale jr, he is over-rated)
    3. unlimited data

    but, i doubt it, thing is, my area has had 4 different main carriers in the last 20 years

    in the 80's it was Nebraska Wireless (bag-phone era)
    early 90's was alliant cellular
    mid 90's we went to alltel, then around late 2009 everything went to verizon.
    so, if 3 years from now sprint takes over, who knows, but i highly doubt it, if you look at sprint coverage for Grand Island and nebraska, it's like a line that goes from here on I-80 then explodes around Lincoln and omaha, neither lincoln nor omaha have sprint 4g yet, though.
  16. #16  
    Jo5329's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    We are renewing our contract in the next week (switching phones or we'd be grandfathered to unlimited). After we looked into our average usage (on the Verizon website), we determined the 2g plan is the one we need. I use the internet more and hubby uses the phone and txting more, so it breaks even.

    I wish my cable company would do this really - there are so many channels I don't watch and I'm willing to pay for what I use, rather than for what I don't need.

    Current Phone: Verizon HTC One
    1st Andriod Phone: HTC Thunderbolt on VZW
  17. #17  

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Quote Originally Posted by MissJennell View Post
    I don't see why people are complaining either. We all knew these plans were coming. If you wanted unlimited then you should have switched before July 7th. Otherwise just pick the one that will work best for what you use. I use about 4GB a month since switching to Verizon and the iPhone. So for me I'd pick the 5GB a month one if I had to and go on as I am now. And I stream music, video, netflix, HBO Go, email, facebook, twitter, google+, many things on Beejive, the internet, skype, google voice and so on and so forth. I think that people just need something to complain about. It's simple to figure out. You look at how much you have been using and then choose which plan best fits with that.
    If carriers had started tiered data with the iPhone & Moto Droid, we would not have seen the growth of the smartphone like what has happened. It's an often used analogy but it's true "They're like drug dealers, they get you hooked for cheap and then raise the costs."

    When there weren't things that required data as there is now, they were offering it free. Then they started pushing smartphones like there was no tomorrow (when was the last time you saw a non-smartphone commercial by Verizon, let alone any carrier), but left unlimited data in place.

    Now that smartphones are everywhere they are limiting the amount of data available for the same cost as what was previously unlimited. For a person to get the same capacity as they had before, they'd be paying at least 2/3 more than they currently do for data. Verizon is saying 95% of customers use less than 2GB. If that's the case then why the need to cap it? The reason is that they expect that customers will use more than they currently do in the future, and thus can get more profit when it happens. Upcoming services like Netflix, cloud based services, VOIP, etc., will require more data, and thus more profit for carriers.

    Think of it like renting a car. Say you travel about 80 miles a day. Now say the rental company charges $50 a day with a 100 mile allotment. Then one day they decide to change the allotment to 20 miles because 95% of their customers drive less than that. Would that make you consider another company or other means of transportation?

    The biggest contradiction is that with Verizon the only upgrade choices we currently have is either a 2 year contract or pay full retail (after they got rid of NE2, annual upgrades, and 1 year contracts). The reasoning Verizon used for eliminating old upgrade choices is that it's too confusing for the customer. But then Verizon takes their unlimited data (what could be less confusing than that) and forces you into caps. Now you have to monitor your data usage. Call me crazy, but I think picking between 5 upgrade options once a year is less confusing than monitoring your data every month.
    Last edited by vzwuser76; 07-21-2011 at 05:00 PM.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Quote Originally Posted by vzwuser76 View Post
    If carriers had started tiered data with the iPhone & Moto Droid, we would not have seen the growth of the smartphone like what has happened. It's an often used analogy but it's true "They're like drug dealers, they get you hooked for cheap and then raise the costs."

    When there weren't things that required data as there is now, they were offering it free. Then they started pushing smartphones like there was no tomorrow (when was the last time you saw a non-smartphone commercial by Verizon, let alone any carrier), but left unlimited data in place.

    Now that smartphones are everywhere they are limiting the amount of data available for the same cost as what was previously unlimited. For a person to get the same capacity as they had before, they'd be paying at least 2/3 more than they currently do for data. Verizon is saying 95% of customers use less than 2GB. If that's the case then why the need to cap it? The reason is that they expect that customers will use more than they currently do in the future, and thus can get more profit when it happens. Upcoming services like Netflix, cloud based services, VOIP, etc., will require more data, and thus more profit for carriers.

    Think of it like renting a car. Say you travel about 80 miles a day. Now say the rental company charges $50 a day with a 100 mile allotment. Then one day they decide to change the allotment to 20 miles because 95% of their customers drive less than that. Would that make you consider another company or other means of transportation?

    The biggest contradiction is that with Verizon the only upgrade choices we currently have is either a 2 year contract or pay full retail (after they got rid of NE2, annual upgrades, and 1 year contracts). The reasoning Verizon used for eliminating old upgrade choices is that it's too confusing for the customer. But then Verizon takes their unlimited data (what could be less confusing than that) and forces you into caps. Now you have to monitor your data usage. Call me crazy, but I think picking between 5 upgrade options once a year is less confusing than monitoring your data every month.
    They are a for profit company........

    And they can't force you to have a smartphone. If you don't wanna pay the prices then don't have a smartphone. It is really that simple. Yet people make it out to be like this god awful decision.
    @missjennell
  19. #19  

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Quote Originally Posted by MissJennell View Post
    They are a for profit company........

    And they can't force you to have a smartphone. If you don't wanna pay the prices then don't have a smartphone. It is really that simple. Yet people make it out to be like this god awful decision.
    So nothing is out of bounds for carrier's then? Then why not $100 for 2GB of data? How much is enough, especially when they're making huge profits? The cell carriers are the ones who pushed for everyone to get smartphones. They made them so affordable that it made sense to get them over a featurephone. With the way the economy is going charging more for less flies in the face of what most companies are doing.

    So by your previous statements I can assume that you'd have no problem with a hike in gas prices. Oil companies are for profit also. Would you be ok with $6 a gallon gas. You don't need a car. If you want it you'll pay for it. And before you say a car is a necessity, there are plenty of people who don't have cars. Hell there are probably more people with cell phones than cars.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Quote Originally Posted by vzwuser76 View Post
    So nothing is out of bounds for carrier's then? Then why not $100 for 2GB of data? How much is enough, especially when they're making huge profits? The cell carriers are the ones who pushed for everyone to get smartphones. They made them so affordable that it made sense to get them over a featurephone. With the way the economy is going charging more for less flies in the face of what most companies are doing.

    So by your previous statements I can assume that you'd have no problem with a hike in gas prices. Oil companies are for profit also. Would you be ok with $6 a gallon gas. You don't need a car. If you want it you'll pay for it. And before you say a car is a necessity, there are plenty of people who don't have cars. Hell there are probably more people with cell phones than cars.
    You can choose what you would like to spend your money on. If you want a smartphone and verizon after July 7th then you will have to choose one of the tiered plans. If you don't want that then don't get it. Go to a different company. If you don't like their plans then don't get one. There is no one making you get a smartphone or one of the teired data plans on verizon. YOU can choose if you want to spend your money on one.

    Same with gas. I don't just drive all over the place because I know that I can't afford and would not like to spend my money on gas all the time. It's also why I chose to get rid of my gas hog SUV and opt for a mid size sedan that gets 35+ mpg. It's all about choices. Which is one of the many great things about living in a free market. A free market that is controlled though so it can't get to outrageous.
    @missjennell
  21. #21  
    bkorver's Avatar

    Posts
    801 Posts
    Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    To expand on MissJennell's post, it's not your god given right to have a smartphone with an unlimited plan. If you wanna play, ya gatta pay, as they say. It's also not Verizon's responsibility to provide you with a plan you can afford. It's Verizon's responsibility to make their share holders money, and your responsibility to live within your means. If enough people downgrade or outright leave to another carrier, they will eventually realize they stepped in it and will lower prices until people start buying their product again.
    "In valor, there is hope."
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    KiboeTheDog's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    Buisiness GingerSense 3.0

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    k, i'm still on unlimited data, because i signed up in may of 2010....k? THIS DOES NOT AFFECT EXISTING USERS!, PLEASE LEARN TO READ

    they cap it because they are trying to even the stake out, you guys do realize it does bog down the network? they have share holders to report to, and technicly, Verizon is just a partnership with vodafone and other companies, CellCo Partnership yes, Vodafone OWNS VERIZON!
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    KiboeTheDog's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    Buisiness GingerSense 3.0

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Quote Originally Posted by MissJennell View Post
    You can choose what you would like to spend your money on. If you want a smartphone and verizon after July 7th then you will have to choose one of the tiered plans.
    let me add on to that, if the user is already on unlimited with a smartphone, and is moving to another smartphone, with a contract upgrade, he or she still has unlimited data, they were grandfathered in, just like when verizon took over, alltel plans were grandfathered in (this was back when they had 5 year contracts)

    say, you have a droid x, or somthing, and going to the droid 3...you still have unlimited data if you had that phone before july 7th.
  24. #24  
    Linkchomp's Avatar
    Droid Monster

    Posts
    734 Posts
    Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    A lot of androids most prominent features require unlimited data. It's going to suck upgrading your phone's firmware or using netflix because Verizon wants to be greedy and kill unlmtd data to squeeze more money yet not improve their infastructure. As a customer, people have the right to complain since it effects everyone in the long run.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    KiboeTheDog's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    ROM
    Buisiness GingerSense 3.0

    Default Re: for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Miz View Post
    A lot of androids most prominent features require unlimited data. It's going to suck upgrading your phone's firmware or using netflix because Verizon wants to be greedy and kill unlmtd data to squeeze more money yet not improve their infastructure. As a customer, people have the right to complain since it effects everyone in the long run.
    i already redacted my statement, existing users are grandfathered in, when they upgrade their contracts, they still have unlimited data.
    Verizon is greedy? as if, they are doing it because the flipping iZombies have bogged down the network to the point that it's a blindingly SLOW crawl.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions