1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Potential new VZW customer here. Help!

Here's the deal guys...my wife is absolutely fed up with Sprint. The service has been bad and her phone seems to be defective and Sprint has no interest in fixing it. She's ready to break the contract and move to Verizon as soon as this week.

My problem is that I'm completely unprepared to buy a new phone for myself, so I'm hoping to get some opinions on the best options. I'm currently using the Epic 4G and I've liked it so far. The only major problem I've had with it is spotty 4G reception. I'd like to have another 4G phone...I've heard good things about LTE. Other than that I'm pretty flexible. I definitely don't need the QWERTY slider as I never used it on the Epic. I'd like to have a phone that will handle Netflix. I had been waiting for that for a while and now that I have it I don't want to lose it.

I haven't heard great things about the Thunderbolt, but I don't know how widespread the problems are on it. In a perfect world I think I'd try to wait until the Galaxy S II comes to Verizon, but it's hard to tell when that's going to happen. Is there a way that I could join up to Verizon now and wait to get my phone when that one comes out?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Potential new VZW customer here. Help!

I have had a TBolt since launch and have had 0 issues. Granted, I am rooted and running the most updated Gingerbread ROM I could find, but even before I rooted it was a great phone. I haven't been on the forums complaining because I have nothing to complain about. Mass producing tech is going to lead to a small percentage having issues, weather it be cars, tv's, dishwashers, whatever. It has LTE and supports Netflix hack free. I would say your chances of getting a defective device are exrememly slim.

Edit: If you wait for the GSII and want LTE, flip a coin because there have been no SOLID indications that it will be on board...
    "In valor, there is hope."
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    I have had a TBolt since launch and have had 0 issues. Granted, I am rooted and running the most updated Gingerbread ROM I could find, but even before I rooted it was a great phone. I haven't been on the forums complaining because I have nothing to complain about. Mass producing tech is going to lead to a small percentage having issues, weather it be cars, tv's, dishwashers, whatever. It has LTE and supports Netflix hack free. I would say your chances of getting a defective device are exrememly slim.

Edit: If you wait for the GSII and want LTE, flip a coin because there have been no SOLID indications that it will be on board...
    Thanks bkorver. I hadn't heard speculation one way or the other about LTE being on the GSII, so I guess that's going to be up to chance if I go that route. I'm going to look more into the TBolt though.

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts

I agree with bkorver I also have a tbolt and have had 0 problems with it

Before you jump ship and I am with Verizon so don't get me wrong about understanding your issues.
    Have you asked to speak to Retention dept (Sprint) And it is good to be polite and not lose your temper.
    It is worth the try before paying the ETF Just trying to save you some money.

If not, then you need to check out exactly how much data you are using because July 7th Verizon stopped carrying the unlimited data plan and has gone forward with tiered data plans.........and a 10.00 fee I believe if you go over the data use.

Verizon is a great carrier. I have been with them for a number of years. Their customer service is awesome but they are expensive..........

I would certainly look into the Thunderbolt............HTC products are the best. I have the Incredible and will probably upgrade to the TB when I am due.

Do try to talk to someone in Retention and you can mention you are thinking of walking away..
    One thing they want is not lose customers.
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    Before you jump ship and I am with Verizon so don't get me wrong about understanding your issues.
    Have you asked to speak to Retention dept (Sprint) And it is good to be polite and not lose your temper.
    It is worth the try before paying the ETF Just trying to save you some money.

If not, then you need to check out exactly how much data you are using because July 7th Verizon stopped carrying the unlimited data plan and has gone forward with tiered data plans.........and a 10.00 fee I believe if you go over the data use.

Verizon is a great carrier. I have been with them for a number of years. Their customer service is awesome but they are expensive..........

I would certainly look into the Thunderbolt............HTC products are the best. I have the Incredible and will probably upgrade to the TB when I am due.

Do try to talk to someone in Retention and you can mention you are thinking of walking away..
    One thing they want is not lose customers.
    Hey Jude, (I've always wanted to say that)

Thanks for the advice. For my wife it was already beyond talking to the retention department. We had our first child back in March and she did not like the problems we had with the Sprint phones because she was afraid we'd not get an important call from daycare, etc. We did end up jumping ship last night. I ended up going with the Droid Charge. It seemed to suit my needs and I'm relatively happy with Samsung, despite their slow Android updates. I'm a bit disappointed that I'm not going to be able to get the Galaxy S II when it arrives...especially now that some of the photos are starting to leak out of the American versions. I suppose I'll get over it and hope that I can get a Galaxy S 4 or whatever is out when my next upgrade is due!

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NIUHuskie View Post
    Here's the deal guys...my wife is absolutely fed up with Sprint. The service has been bad and her phone seems to be defective and Sprint has no interest in fixing it. She's ready to break the contract and move to Verizon as soon as this week.

My problem is that I'm completely unprepared to buy a new phone for myself, so I'm hoping to get some opinions on the best options. I'm currently using the Epic 4G and I've liked it so far. The only major problem I've had with it is spotty 4G reception. I'd like to have another 4G phone...I've heard good things about LTE. Other than that I'm pretty flexible. I definitely don't need the QWERTY slider as I never used it on the Epic. I'd like to have a phone that will handle Netflix. I had been waiting for that for a while and now that I have it I don't want to lose it.

I haven't heard great things about the Thunderbolt, but I don't know how widespread the problems are on it. In a perfect world I think I'd try to wait until the Galaxy S II comes to Verizon, but it's hard to tell when that's going to happen. Is there a way that I could join up to Verizon now and wait to get my phone when that one comes out?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    huskie, so sorry to hear....im in chicago and sprint has lost tons of roaming agreements and all they do is deny deny deny. I've called to complain many times. They blame my phone or blackberry network outage(unfounded). I got tons of delayed vm's, emails, sms. I inquire about losing roaming agreements and they act like they don't know. I hate to paymore but I am done with sprint as I have lost couple sales due to the delayed emails. my gf switched to vzw and I plan on switching as soon as GSII releases. The difference of network has been NIGHT and DAY, let me tell you...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by dc1225 View Post
    huskie, so sorry to hear....im in chicago and sprint has lost tons of roaming agreements and all they do is deny deny deny. I've called to complain many times. They blame my phone or blackberry network outage(unfounded). I got tons of delayed vm's, emails, sms. I inquire about losing roaming agreements and they act like they don't know. I hate to paymore but I am done with sprint as I have lost couple sales due to the delayed emails. my gf switched to vzw and I plan on switching as soon as GSII releases. The difference of network has been NIGHT and DAY, let me tell you...
    Sprint did the same thing to us dc...deny and spin. They told us if we switched our phones to "Sprint Only" mode they'd work better. That experiment was a major failure. We've now been with VZW for 6 days and I have to agree, the network is MUCH better. I haven't had a dropped call yet. And the LTE absolutely blows away WiMax. I'm not sure if that's entirely the network or if it was a product the Epic not staying connected to WiMax, but whatever, I'm much happier with LTE.

Good luck with the GSII. I'm jealous. I wanted to hold out for it but I couldn't make my wife wait any longer to switch carriers. My last hope is that rumored August 12th launch date...I'd still be able to pay the restocking fee and exchange my Droid Charge. I'm not holding my breath though, and if it doesn't happen I'm fine. I'm pretty happy with the Charge so far.

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NIUHuskie View Post
    Sprint did the same thing to us dc...deny and spin. They told us if we switched our phones to "Sprint Only" mode they'd work better. That experiment was a major failure. We've now been with VZW for 6 days and I have to agree, the network is MUCH better. I haven't had a dropped call yet. And the LTE absolutely blows away WiMax. I'm not sure if that's entirely the network or if it was a product the Epic not staying connected to WiMax, but whatever, I'm much happier with LTE.

Good luck with the GSII. I'm jealous. I wanted to hold out for it but I couldn't make my wife wait any longer to switch carriers. My last hope is that rumored August 12th launch date...I'd still be able to pay the restocking fee and exchange my Droid Charge. I'm not holding my breath though, and if it doesn't happen I'm fine. I'm pretty happy with the Charge so far.
    well glad to hear it...I switched my gf and her mother to vzw rightaway from att and paid their etf...they' got the iphone 4 but couldn't stand att's network either...what does it matter what phone your have when your network is worthless? Now their networks are crystal clear.

Countin down the days and Im not gonna look back.