Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Default Re: Little Rock/Central AR LTE

Just read it!

I was starting to worry that they forgot about the whole 4G network.

It's awesome that Arkansas is getting some lovin'

Too bad it's not in my corner. But who knows, I don't remember seeing anything about Searcy till I saw it on the coverage map. The road in front of the tower was closed and I had to detour on lunch, and they had a lot of stuff dug up and cables sticking up out of the ground..had the road busted up...probably working on something else though...like our crappy public bleach (cough cough I mean water) supply.

They're still not impressing me with the 2012 rollout, maybe I expect too much.

I want to see a REAL announcement, like contiguous 4G LTE from Little Rock to St. Louis.

Or Memphis to New Orleans.

At least it's something. I'm glad they're getting it going down there and expanding to cover more people. I was so shocked when Jonesboro and Ft. Smith got it before Little Rock.

Jonesboro's coverage seemed better last week. I have a friend that lives on the edge of town, and last time I was there, less than 2 months ago, even if I set it to LTE Mode, it wouldn't get LTE. Now it bounces back and forth, 3G/4G at her place now. She was and still is in a dark red 4G area, several miles from "extended" so I know the maps aren't quite right. She has a tower right by her house, but it's only 3G for the time being, based on the map for that area, and the location of that tower, it appears Verizon's map shows that tower as 4G when I know in fact, it is not.

I'm betting Benton, Bryant, Hot Springs, and maybe down towards Pine Bluff. I saw a tower in Redfield that appears to have been upgraded for 4G.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

ROM
    Team BAMF, ICS 4.0.3

Searcy was one of those silent launch areas. I believe they launched in December.

I don't think the 2012 launch announcements are going to be like they were in 2011. Most of the large markets have already happened. A lot of what they're going to do is expand existing markets and add smaller cities.

I was shocked, as well, when Fort Smith and Jonesboro got LTE before Little Rock. Jonesboro was the first market I tested in all of Arkansas, though I tried LTE in at the DFW airport first, then in L.A., San Diego, Phoenix, and then Las Vegas in that order.

As I mentioned, if they haven't activated other cities in AR early, yet, I really don't expect LTE, but I want to know how much closer they are to my location. I'm sick of getting 0.20-0.50Mbps download speeds (yeah, I do hit 1+Mbps sometimes, but not often).
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  

ROM
    Team BAMF, ICS 4.0.3

Quote Originally Posted by ghc37 View Post
    I'm betting Benton, Bryant, Hot Springs, and maybe down towards Pine Bluff. I saw a tower in Redfield that appears to have been upgraded for 4G.
    They also have LTE antennas on at least one site in Arkadelphia. We'll see. how far they expand the coverage. I was really shocked, when Benton and Bryant were not included in the November launch.

Searcy was in December. On the launch Thursday in December, I went to the map to look and see how many more (and how many got bigger) dark reddish brown blobs there were on the map and thought something was odd, zoomed in, and sure enough, Searcy was on the map. And I swore I hadn't seen or heard it announced anywhere.
    So you just confirmed that for me....Thank you! Thought maybe I'd lost a few more of my marbles.

My first experience with LTE was on my ThunderBolt in Memphis. I was near the airport, but it wasn't long before the official Memphis launch. I noticed I had LTE here and there around the city, but went out by the airport specifically for LTE. The very first test clocked over 20 down and over 15 up. My next experience was in August, but not Jonesboro, in St. Louis. I went and stayed a week with family that lives just across the river in Illinois. I stayed up till 2 or 3 each morning streaming 1080p YouTube, and used nearly 18 GB in one week. Next of course was Jonesboro, a few days prior to the official launch, and it was already up and running.

I think you're right, One Radical Dude, in that we won't be seeing huge announcements like we did through 2011, but it would be nice to know. I usually don't get under 1.5 or 2, even during peak use times, but I still want more.
    My boss is from Sheridan or Arkadelphia, I can't remember, but I know he hangs out in that general area on the weekends a lot, I may have to pull the T-Bolt out of the drawer and send it with him to see what he can get down there.

Bryant has had it for about a month now. But, it is not on my end of Springhill/Sparks yet. Hoping tomorrow is the day. I'm in extended right now, but it isn't usable when it pops on. They tested it months ago, and I got 18 down, out here. So, I know it's coming. I am hoping they get HS in this launch as well. Can't wait til 3am to check the coverage map haha
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

ROM
    Team BAMF, ICS 4.0.3

Quote Originally Posted by tim242 View Post
    Bryant has had it for about a month now. But, it is not on my end of Springhill/Sparks yet. Hoping tomorrow is the day. I'm in extended right now, but it isn't usable when it pops on. They tested it months ago, and I got 18 down, out here. So, I know it's coming. I am hoping they get HS in this launch as well. Can't wait til 3am to check the coverage map haha
    Yeah, I'll be watching that coverage map, also. If my city isn't covered (I bet I'll still be waiting), I really hope the wait is not long. I hate having to continue paying for sluggish data at home.

Quote Originally Posted by One Radical Dude View Post
    Yeah, I'll be watching that coverage map, also. If my city isn't covered (I bet I'll still be waiting), I really hope the wait is not long. I hate having to continue paying for sluggish data at home.
    Where do you live?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  

ROM
    Team BAMF, ICS 4.0.3

Quote Originally Posted by ghc37 View Post
    Where do you live?
    I live in Malvern. I know of two sites that have VZW antennas. The last time I saw, I didn't really see anything upgraded, as of last week, though on one of them, it looks like they added a microwave antenna (I didn't remember seeing it before). That's pretty much it.

Update: According to the updated LTE map, it looks like Bryant (Benton, for the most part, is not covered), Alexander, Shannon Hills, East End, and from Cabot, Beebe and towns from there to near Searcy. So, yeah, I knew my location would be waiting. So, Hot Springs, Benton, Pine Bluff, still waiting.
    Last edited by One Radical Dude; 02-16-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: 4G LTE update.

Well my neighborhood made the dark red but if you drive 3 miles south toward benton it's extended coverage. Not real impressed I have to say

Of course I wasn't expecting it here, but I wasn't impressed with this new "rollout". I have a screenshot of the map yesterday, compared to today. It's definitely progress, but I think everyone was hoping for more.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  

ROM
    Team BAMF, ICS 4.0.3

I wasn't too impressed, either. Then again, I didn't expect the expansion to go far south, since one cell site near Benton just got upgraded, and there may be a few sites in Hot Springs that don't have LTE (the one on Malvern Rd / MLK Expressway doesn't look like have LTE antennas, and there may be other VZ sites, too. I haven't seen all of Hot Spring's VZ antennas). I have a feeling we'll be waiting 2-3 more months. I hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by One Radical Dude; 02-16-2012 at 04:09 PM.

I wasn't too impressed, either. Then again, I didn't expect the expansion to go far south, since one cell site near Benton just got upgraded, and there may be a few sites in Hot Springs that don't have LTE (the one on Malvern Rd / MLK Expressway doesn't look like have LTE antennas, and there may be other VZ sites, too. I haven't seen all of Hot Spring's VZ antennas). I have a feeling we'll be waiting 2-3 more months. I hope I'm wrong.
    Most of the rural sites in this area were upgraded last March or April. The 2 in Paragould were in March. If you look at SBA and American Tower websites you see a lot of the towers that include pictures show the dates of March and April. I'm not sure if they were adding LTE or bolstering 3G coverage. I know for sure the 3G coverage either stayed the same or got worse after the upgrades in Paragould. The noticable difference when they did those upgrades was a 2nd sector on most of the towers, or higher density (more panels) on the VZW sectors.

I got over 40 mbps several times in Jonesboro yesterday evening! So it's still running strong over there.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  

ROM
    Team BAMF, ICS 4.0.3

Quote Originally Posted by palmdroid1 View Post
    Most of the rural sites in this area were upgraded last March or April. The 2 in Paragould were in March. If you look at SBA and American Tower websites you see a lot of the towers that include pictures show the dates of March and April. I'm not sure if they were adding LTE or bolstering 3G coverage. I know for sure the 3G coverage either stayed the same or got worse after the upgrades in Paragould. The noticable difference when they did those upgrades was a 2nd sector on most of the towers, or higher density (more panels) on the VZW sectors.

I got over 40 mbps several times in Jonesboro yesterday evening! So it's still running strong over there.
    Dang! I actually surpassed 20Mbps earlier in West Little Rock several different times. I hit over 28Mbps at the max. It was the first time I've seen speeds that high ever in person.

Dang! I actually surpassed 20Mbps earlier in West Little Rock several different times. I hit over 28Mbps at the max. It was the first time I've seen speeds that high ever in person.

Same for me!

Before I experienced LTE, the fastest I'd ever seen was the T3 we had at my old job.

I was sitting in Ruby Tuesday in Jonesboro when I got my fastest speed ever. It was 53 down and almost 20 up, back in September when the network was a little newer and less loaded. I imagine I had a goofy grin on my face when my phone pulled in a higher rate than a T3 is capable of.

Sitting here in LR now on my GNex. This 4G is ridiculous. I'm getting 28 dl. Love this!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  

ROM
    Team BAMF, ICS 4.0.3

Still no LTE equipment in my city, I heard Sheridan is getting upgraded, if they haven't already. Does anyone know if one of the towers near JJ's Truck Stop got upgraded? I think it did, but I was driving, so I didn't get a good look at it (I think Verizon might be the one somewhere with the multiple antennas). I saw earlier today that the site nearest to the Martin Luther King Expressway and Malvern Ave. in Hot Springs added a fourth set of antennas (the addition is between the second set and the bottom), I'm guessing that's going to be Verizon's LTE antennas (it would be separate from VZ's CDMA/EVDO antennas), which I think are on the bottom set. If so, that would be a unique placement for the antennas. I wasn't able to get a photo, though. Does anyone else have any news or updates for areas of Arkansas that have not officially launched LTE service?

I was surprised to see anyone still posted on this thread, glad you're still posting what you see, One Radical Dude. As far as I can tell, all the hardware upgrades on the towers in Paragould, Jonesboro, and Blytheville (and all the towns in between) are done. Jonesboro has had LTE since August or September, but the rest of us are still waiting. The 3G in Paragould is still dismal. I was sitting beside one of the two towers, at intersection of AR49 and US412 in Paragould and two speed tests never got over .5 down and .7 up, obviously an overloaded network as the ping was crazy high and the upload bests the download. 3G here in Blytheville still rocks, still sub 100 MS ping and 2+ MBPS down. Since they did the hardware upgrade on the tower in February here, I'm hoping it'll be soon. Verizon support said it should be soon, he pointed out, It's all around me, just not here yet.

The last time I went to Memphis, I got 4G a lot sooner, usually it doesn't hit until I'm close to the bridge, about to cross into Tennessee, the last two times, I had 4G before West Memphis, and kept it till past West Memphis, used to drop it shortly after crossing back into Arkansas. They're working on it, but I wish they'd hurry up!!!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  

ROM
    Team BAMF, ICS 4.0.3

My data speeds have been a little better lately, though I still get below average speeds at times. Ping is usually around 110-150ms. Maybe the next Arkansas rollouts will be a big one. I hope, anyway. The last Little Rock expansion was not very impressive. It didn't even cover all of Benton (where you are borderline LTE/EVDO near Alcoa). I'm dying to take a photo of my city's sites with Verizon equipment, but so far, I haven't seen the LTE antennas, yet.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #70  

ROM
    Team BAMF, ICS 4.0.3

Last night as I was heading to Little Rock, my ThunderBolt showed 4G near Haskell right off Interstate 30 Eastbound (near the US 70 exit). As I arrived in Benton, however, it went back to 3G. They must be doing a bit of testing in some areas.

I also went to American Tower's website, and appears to have LTE antennas. DeQueen isn't even near an Interstate highway, so I found that interesting to see a site get upgraded to LTE.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #71  

ROM
    Team BAMF, ICS 4.0.3

Default Pine Bluff, Van Buren, and Siolam Springs are next.

The states that Pine Bluff, Siolam Springs, and Van Buren will get LTE on Thursday.

seriously?!? still no hot springs??!?!? ridiculous.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #73  

ROM
    Team BAMF, ICS 4.0.3

Quote Originally Posted by kingoftherapids View Post
    seriously?!? still no hot springs??!?!? ridiculous.
    No Malvern or Benton, either -- I'm surprised all of Benton is still without LTE. I know one site was still being upgraded in Hot Springs about a week ago (right near Malvern Rd. and the MLK Expressway). At least there's LTE being installed in HS. I still have not noticed any upgrades in Malvern.

I'll be glad when Camden or El Dorado get it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

you figure that they would have rushed to get it in hot springs before the big summer lake season when there are 20k visitors there every day.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast