is verizon 3g really capped

megagamer44

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Whats the deal some people say 3g is capped at 5 gb but i used 7gb last month and i had no service cutoffs or extra fees so whats the deal

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
There is a 5gb cap that is in the terms & conditions. But they only actually enforce it on aircards and tethering plans.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
There is a 5gb cap that is in the terms & conditions. But they only actually enforce it on aircards and tethering plans.

As far as I know, there is no cap for smartphone data plans - it is truly unlimited. There is for the MyFi and data modem mobile broadband plans (which say "5 GB" right at the selection page, rather than "unlimited"), but no cap for phone data plans.

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Everything that is listed in the sales guides show unlimited. So if they tried to charge you for something explain to them about false advertising, unless you are tethering, be it VZaccess, or pdanet, or one of the other ways to do it. that is a different story.

G

GenericMessage

If ya'll would read VZW's TOS you'd realize that NOTHING is truly unlimited.

There isn't a 5 gig "cap."
But if you happen to reach 5+ gigs in a month they'll put you on a watch list. So now your account is being watched.

If you continue to do so, Verizon will contact you and state that you are going over a predetermined amount of data, and to stop it. For they assume that this is the direct result of abusing their services.

If you STILL continue to do so, they can limit your speeds, add a cap, or even cancel your services and demand your early termination fee. As well as possible court issues over stealing from them.

So you want the honest truth? Don't over-do it. If you think you're doing something data wise you shouldn't: DON'T! Download at your own risk. But just using your phone in the way it was intended and paid for, you will probably NEVER wind up on their watch list.

Last edited:

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
Actually there is. They may not do anything the first time, but I think if keeps happening (you keep going over) then they charge you extra and crap like that.

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
If ya'll would read VZW's TOS you'd realize that NOTHING is truly unlimited.

Their isn't a 5 gig "cap."
But if you happen to reach 5+ gigs in a month they'll put you on a watch list. So now your account is being watched.

If you continue to do so, Verizon will contact you and state that you are going over a predetermined amount of data, and to stop it. For they assume that this is the direct result of abusing their services.

If you STILL continue to do so, they can limit your speeds, add a cap, or even cancel your services and demand your early termination fee. As well as possible court issues over stealing from them.

So you want the honest truth? Don't over-do it. If you think you're doing something data wise you shouldn't: DON'T! Download at your own risk. But just using your phone in the way it was intended and paid for, you will probably NEVER wind up on their watch list.

Beat me to it by seconds!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Actually there is. They may not do anything the first time, but I think if keeps happening (you keep going over) then they charge you extra and crap like that.

Again, you are both not completely correct. It may be that overusage raises a flag, but there is nothing in terms of service that mentions any sort of data usage byte limit. You are limited to specific activities, such as email, web browsing, gaming, audio, video, and VOIP; you are prohibited from running any sort of server; they reserve the right to protect their network and limit your access if you do violate the terms by using non-allowed protocols. However, they do not mention in their TOS that you will be flagged for overuse.

I would strongly suggest, however, that anybody who uses more than 5 GB of data per month not use any sort of tethering app if you are worried about being shut off, because that is something that is not allowed by TOS.

Here are the TOS: Terms & Conditions

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
I stand corrected. About a year ago there was a 5gb cap written into the terms and conditions. It's good to see that its been updated with no cap.
Again, you are both not completely correct. It may be that overusage raises a flag, but there is nothing in terms of service that mentions any sort of data usage byte limit. You are limited to specific activities, such as email, web browsing, gaming, audio, video, and VOIP; you are prohibited from running any sort of server; they reserve the right to protect their network and limit your access if you do violate the terms by using non-allowed protocols. However, they do not mention in their TOS that you will be flagged for overuse.

I would strongly suggest, however, that anybody who uses more than 5 GB of data per month not use any sort of tethering app if you are worried about being shut off, because that is something that is not allowed by TOS.

G

GenericMessage

Actually I am completely correct thank-you very much

And you will be flagged for over-use. If you read it:

"The Data Plans or Features are for individual use only and you may not offer them for resale. We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network. We may monitor you compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers, with these terms and conditions, but we will not monitor the content of your communications except as otherwise expressly permitted or required by law"

So you don't even have to over-use it to be flagged or watched. But trust me, if you go over 5 gigs every month, they'll start watching you, and warn you, and terminate your service with little or no warning. They have that ability

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
Actually I am completely correct thank-you very much

And you will be flagged for over-use. If you read it:

"The Data Plans or Features are for individual use only and you may not offer them for resale. We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network. We may monitor you compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers, with these terms and conditions, but we will not monitor the content of your communications except as otherwise expressly permitted or required by law"

So you don't even have to over-use it to be flagged or watched. But trust me, if you go over 5 gigs every month, they'll start watching you, and warn you, and terminate your service with little or no warning. They have that ability

Dammit you beat me to it again. I swear I had that part already copied haha.

Yea, if you wanna test it out, go over 5gb every month and see how it goes for you. Oh, and dont worry, you don't have to tether in order to go over.

rb68

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
From the TOS:

Unlimited Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans and Features
These Wireless Email plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

So where is the 5GB cap that doesn't exist?

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
From the TOS:

These Wireless Email plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device?s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

Like I said, go ahead and test it out yourself and post back your results :cool:

G

GenericMessage

From the TOS:

These Wireless Email plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device?s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

Just because VZW doesn't hold your hand and spell it out for you doesn't mean it isn't there.

But go ahead! Try to go over, and you'll have your account permanently terminated and possible criminal action taken against you.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to see somebody show me someone whose smartphone (not broadband) data plan was terminated, or even received this warning, for this very reason since they went unlimited last year.

G

GenericMessage

I'd love to see somebody show me someone whose smartphone (not broadband) data plan was terminated, or even received this warning, for this very reason since they went unlimited last year.

I guess you can argue with us until you're blue in the face, but we speak the truth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt