Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    J_5

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

Default 4G SIM card question

I am thinking about buying an HTC Thunderbolt to replace my Droid X. My question is, do I need to also buy a 4G SIM card? If I buy the phone off say eBay and it does not have a 4G SIM card do I just need to buy one from Verizon?

Thanks.

ROM
    Team BAMF, ICS 4.0.3

Default Re: 4G SIM card question

Check with the nearest Verizon corporate-owned stores (not sure if authorized dealers carry them) for availability. Supposedly, you can get them online, but I never could find the location for them. Otherwise, you can call customer service and get one sent to you. To my knowledge, there's no fee for the SIM card.
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,043 Global Posts

You will probably have to buy a new SIM card. I think they cost $20.00
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

Disregard the last comment, the 4G SIM cards are free.
    Thanked by:
    p08757 
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,043 Global Posts

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know where I got the $20.00 from??!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I don't know where I got the $20.00 from??!?!?
    You used to have to pay for global sim cards if you lost or didn't have one, can't rememebr the price, but this might be where you confusion is coming from.

ROM
    Depends on my mood ^^

The sim cards should be free, at least if you go to a corporate store. You can also get customer care to ship you one, if you care to wait, or if you do want to pay for overnight shipping (maybe a nice rep can even waive that, like I used to.)

Just to let you know, if you move from a 4G phone to a 3G phone, the LTE sim card in your 4G phone will become "retired" in VZW's system and will never work again. So, if you move back to a 4G phone, you'll need to get a new sim card. Its inconvenient, but just a heads up.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

They are free in corporate stores and from customer service. If you go to an indirect retailer you will probably have to pay for one. Like $24

Should receive my new Note 2 tomorrow. I currently have a 3G android phone with Verizon, and of course get only 3G service. When I go to a Verizon store to remove the 3G phone and activate the new Note 2, will they give me a 4G/LTE sim for the Note 2 free? I'm also wondering whether I would still be on 3G service, keeping my current plan, or whether I would actually, then, get 4G service.

Corporate Verizon store would give you a new sim free. You would get 4glte if in a 4GLTE service area

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro