Swapping between two phones

callmebob

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
How hard is it to swap between two phone? I currently have an Incredible and am going to purchase a Galaxy Nexus. What I would like to be able to do is to swap back to the Incredible in situations where I might run increased risk of damaging the Nexus. Is there an easy way to switch between phones and are there any penalties from Verizon from swapping equipment regularly?

ChanceNC

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
It's easy and can be done on their website. I went through a month-long spell where I wound up using four different phones and had no problem activating them myself. Just have the MEID HEX numbers handy when you're on the website and it will be smooth sailing. Then all you have to do is make a *228 call and go through the usual OTA activation process.

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
As you may know, the Incredible is a 3G phone and the Nexus will be a 4G phone on Verizon. You need to keep in mind that 4G phones on Verizon use sim cards, whereas they don't on 3G phones. If you go from a 4G back to a 3G phone, the sim card in your 4G phone will become "retired" (deactivated) in their system and will not work if you go back to a 4G phone again. You'd have to throw that card away.

In that case, you'll have to get a new sim card. Luckily, you can get a brand new sim card free from any official, corporate Verizon store.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I was told by Verizon that you can't use the activation number on the phone when switching between 3G and 4G networks. It's best to call customer service and have them make the change, that way everything will go smoothly.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
The only pain is that cs reps will ALWAYS remind you that it can be done online, even when it can't. When I first moved from bb tour to Droid x, I went back and forth a few times. Because the (seemingly identical) $30 unlimited data plans are separated in their system as Android, bb, and iPhone, the switch can only be done by them.

The second time I switched, I called and told the rep exactly what needed to be done and why. Her response: "well sir, you seem to have gotten some bad information. All of our data plans are identical. Let me just sw..... Hm, that didn't seem to work." Hah!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

elitemarine

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
As you may know, the Incredible is a 3G phone and the Nexus will be a 4G phone on Verizon. You need to keep in mind that 4G phones on Verizon use sim cards, whereas they don't on 3G phones. If you go from a 4G back to a 3G phone, the sim card in your 4G phone will become "retired" (deactivated) in their system and will not work if you go back to a 4G phone again. You'd have to throw that card away.

In that case, you'll have to get a new sim card. Luckily, you can get a brand new sim card free from any official, corporate Verizon store.
Is this true? I'm contemplating on getting the 4G charge and currently have the iphone 4 and may go back and forth between the two depending on the situation..

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It's easy and can be done on their website. I went through a month-long spell where I wound up using four different phones and had no problem activating them myself. Just have the MEID HEX numbers handy when you're on the website and it will be smooth sailing. Then all you have to do is make a *228 call and go through the usual OTA activation process.

Yep, but if you had unsurance in any of the lines you need to call CS to make sire theat it didnt drop off as it usually does when you do an ESN swap. To do avoid this I usually just have them do it.

I was told by Verizon that you can't use the activation number on the phone when switching between 3G and 4G networks. It's best to call customer service and have them make the change, that way everything will go smoothly.

And you need a new 4G SIM card since those cant be reused once deactivated

The only pain is that cs reps will ALWAYS remind you that it can be done online, even when it can't. When I first moved from bb tour to Droid x, I went back and forth a few times. Because the (seemingly identical) $30 unlimited data plans are separated in their system as Android, bb, and iPhone, the switch can only be done by them.

The second time I switched, I called and told the rep exactly what needed to be done and why. Her response: "well sir, you seem to have gotten some bad information. All of our data plans are identical. Let me just sw..... Hm, that didn't seem to work." Hah!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Each platform used to have it's own plan but, the put all smartphones regardless of platform on the same plan codes when they eliminated unlimited data, but yes I have gone through this too. BB does need an extra provisioning code for BIS or BES though so I can see how that would hiccup. It's not inaccurate information, just incomplete.

spookiewon

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
It is true. It's a true PITA to switch from 3G to 4G and back. You don't want to do it. When you make the leap to 4G (and it's well worth it) just jump with both feet and never look back. Sell you old phone.

ctt1wbw

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about using a bonus in a few months to buy the HTC Droid DNA and swapping back and forth from that and my iPhone 5. I saw that option on the website as well but wasn't quite sure what it was for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital