Few questions

ReiMei

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
So I am definitely sold on the Galaxy Nexus but I have a few Verizon questions.

Data:

I have a wifi connection where I can get 10-15 Mbps down and 5-8 up. So my first question is could I turn of Verizon data while at home and only use my Wi-Fi thus allowing me to get a cheaper plan?

Plans:

I text way more often then I talk on my current Android Phone. So it would be a safe bet for me to get like 1 few minutes of talk time. But speaking of which will I be able to just use Google Voiced to text message instead of buying unlimited texting from Verizon? I would really like to spend as less as possible.

I was considering getting the lowest talk & text bundle and only 5gb of LTE data do you think this is safe? I am a heavy data user.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can turn off mobile data and just use WiFi.

As for Google Voice, give your Google phone number out to all your friends and you won't be charged for those texts.

Thanks, Robrecht

Reactions: ReiMei

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
There's a widget that will monitor your data usage for you, keep an eye on it and you can always upgrade/downgrade as you see fit. Apparently the Nexus itself will also monitor usage and set alarms, but since the widget pulls right from your billing data and there are a lot of ways to count data (packet payload only, IP header, LTE overhead, ICMP rides for free, etc.) I trust it a bit more.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
There's a widget that will monitor your data usage for you, keep an eye on it and you can always upgrade/downgrade as you see fit. Apparently the Nexus itself will also monitor usage and set alarms, but since the widget pulls right from your billing data and there are a lot of ways to count data (packet payload only, IP header, LTE overhead, ICMP rides for free, etc.) I trust it a bit more.

Google has a disclaimer that it your carrier may have different readings and that it shouldn't be taken as 100% accurate, but it should at least be close. You can even have mobile data shut off at certain points I believe.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
by default if you have a WiFi connection with internet, your phone will use it over 3g/4g no need to turn off data.

This is kind of misleading. That is how it should work, but is not in reality.

Currently by default on current Gingerbread, wifi turns itself off after 15 minutes of the phone being idle. Once that happens, data turns back on.

I have been fighting with my Thunderbolt the last few days trying to figure out the abnormal(even for it) battery drain. So I have learned some interesting things.

So turning data off will save battery, and if you are concerned on your usage, save your butt.

bubbanoy

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
yeah, the minimum is 29,99 and thats for 2 gig of data

You're better off being on Wifi throughout the day then to have your phone searching for a 3G/4G signal all day long. Your battery will Thank you.

ReiMei

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
yeah, the minimum is 29,99 and thats for 2 gig of data

You're better off being on Wifi throughout the day then to have your phone searching for a 3G/4G signal all day long. Your battery will Thank you.

Here in Omaha we have amazing LTE :D coverage I hear

Oh above posters GB won't be a problem I'm getting the GN

:D