Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts

Default Is the success of Android on Verizon slowing down their 3G?

First off this is NOT a bash on Verizon. They have the best coverage of 3G without a doubt and with the exception of when I owned the Storm 1, I have never had a dropped call.

Now I've been noticing that the download speed with Verizon has progressively been getting slower. When I first purchased my Droid (late November) I typically had download speeds around 1-1.2 Mbps at my home but now I am getting is the range of 200-500 Kbps. In fact I almost never get 1 Mbps download anymore no matter where I am.

Has anyone else noticed a decrease is download speed? I live about 15 miles outside of Boston and have excellent coverage in my area. Just curious if this is typical.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

It might very well be that everyone with android is bogging down the network. I know that when I had my tour I used about 100mb's per month, but so far in this billing cycle I have used 89mb's(2 days into the cycle). I know that I am not alone in using more bandwidth with the new device.

What would be frightening is if the iphone does come to Verizon. I have always heard(having no experience myself) that the iphone is major hog, and might be mostly accountable for ATT's crappy service in major cities.

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I live in Vancouver WA and I am actually seeing an increase in speed on my Moto Droid, where I live. As I work in Beaverton OR, and depending on the type of building my data service is either higher or lower then where I live.

Verizon has said that it has been throttled the data service depending the on the demand in a given area. I also read that when ever they do get the iphone, they will increase the service as well.

Quote Originally Posted by j7469 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed a decrease is download speed?
    Not in Houston.

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

As with all 3G, performance will vary depending on the load on a single site, not the entire network. You may have more users on just your site, or there could be a problem with that particular site. I'd imagine VZW is adding more backhaul where they need to but hasn't started some heavily loaded sites yet.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

It's the same as it's always been here in Iowa!

Southeast PA seems ok.

No problems in the Houston area.