taking somesones upgrade not on your plan?

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
my friend has a family plan with several phones. not so much a tech junkie and has 2 upgrades coming. i have about 10 months left on my droid but want something new in the next few weeks with all the great releases. can she buy the new device at the promo price, and give it to me and i can i then activate it? how exactly can this be done? also, technically since i didnt use my upgrade can i get the new phone promo in 10 months?

thanks!

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I done that once before. You can do it but your friend would have to activate the phone on their line and accept the new contract terms. Then they can reactivate the old phone on their line and you can activate the new phone on your account.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
So ya coolbreeze I think your right. I was at costco today though and the weird thing is she told her she's not 100% but if I had a warranty issue Verizon wouldn't cover it? Seems kinda odd what's the difference? But she said it would be covered under the manufactures warranty so I could use that but vzw does make it easy. Thoughts?

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You would be able to get the phone on your line with no issues. They would be extending their contract on the line you upgraded and the phone would have no warranty on your line.

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
why is it that the phone will no longer have warranty? can i get the protection then....for a monthly fee? seems odd, its new. What happens if within say a month the thing stops working properly...which has happened to me on occasion.......happened with my droid pro. had 3 before it worked correctly.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's system would see that it wasn't a phone that you had personally purchased from them...in their mind you're purchasing it from your friend instead which voids their warranty. If their protection plan is like T-Mobile's then the protection would cover any phone, whether you purchased it from them or someone else.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I have been told by Verizon that the monthly protection plan covers your line, regardless of the phone you have activated.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Warranty is for original buyer only. Also, if you use your friend's line to upgrade to a smart phone the line will need a data plan to be active for two years. If the line has a smart phone already then its no problem. And you will still be eligible for an upgrade in ten months since you didn't use it.

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Warranty is for original buyer only. Also, if you use your friend's line to upgrade to a smart phone the line will need a data plan to be active for two years. If the line has a smart phone already then its no problem. And you will still be eligible for an upgrade in ten months since you didn't use it.

This is not true. I currently have three lines on my family plan. I bought a cheapo dumbphone for my stepson off-contract. My wife's BlackBerry met with a vicious water puddle, and she needed a new phone. Since her line was not yet eligible, I used the upgrade for my stepson's line to get her a Droid Pro. I activated the new Pro on her line using his upgrade. The only thing that was affected was that I now have an ETF if I cancel my stepson's line. I was not required to buy a data plan for his line, but the ETF is the hefty $375 (or somewhere thereabouts) for a smartphone. So even using his upgrade, his phone remains $10 a month, and our two unlimited data smartphones are $30 apiece. YMMV,

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Agree. Finding out u don't necessarily need data to get a smart phone. Add a phone for 10 would also allow me to get a new phone at the promo price but is 120 a year worth having 2 upgrades just to have the latest equipment? :)

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I done that once before. You can do it but your friend would have to activate the phone on their line and accept the new contract terms. Then they can reactivate the old phone on their line and you can activate the new phone on your account.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Correct. However...

So ya coolbreeze I think your right. I was at costco today though and the weird thing is she told her she's not 100% but if I had a warranty issue Verizon wouldn't cover it? Seems kinda odd what's the difference? But she said it would be covered under the manufactures warranty so I could use that but vzw does make it easy. Thoughts?

Warranty is for the original purchaser/activator and transferring phones will void that, and you will not be able to add insurance to the line..

You would be able to get the phone on your line with no issues. They would be extending their contract on the line you upgraded and the phone would have no warranty on your line.

Correct

why is it that the phone will no longer have warranty? can i get the protection then....for a monthly fee? seems odd, its new. What happens if within say a month the thing stops working properly...which has happened to me on occasion.......happened with my droid pro. had 3 before it worked correctly.

The difference is that warranty's cover the ORIGINAL purchaser ONLY. Read the fine print. Once the phone moves to another account the warranty is void.

Verizon's system would see that it wasn't a phone that you had personally purchased from them...in their mind you're purchasing it from your friend instead which voids their warranty. If their protection plan is like T-Mobile's then the protection would cover any phone, whether you purchased it from them or someone else.

Technically they track what line and account the phone was first activated under, but essentially correct.

TMobile and AT&T have different rules than Verizon.

I have been told by Verizon that the monthly protection plan covers your line, regardless of the phone you have activated.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

No, unfortunately it doesn't. In fact it wont even let them add the insurance if the phone has been activated before and even when you do an ESN swap you have to call in and have them manually verify that the phone was literally just removed from another line because it drops off if the customer does it themselves. If anyone is manually adding insurance anyway then they are violating policy.

Actually no. They need to add the data plan in order to activate the smartphone BUT they can remove it when they switch back to an older, non smartphone, but the higher ETF would still be in effect.

This is not true. I currently have three lines on my family plan. I bought a cheapo dumbphone for my stepson off-contract. My wife's BlackBerry met with a vicious water puddle, and she needed a new phone. Since her line was not yet eligible, I used the upgrade for my stepson's line to get her a Droid Pro. I activated the new Pro on her line using his upgrade. The only thing that was affected was that I now have an ETF if I cancel my stepson's line. I was not required to buy a data plan for his line, but the ETF is the hefty $375 (or somewhere thereabouts) for a smartphone. So even using his upgrade, his phone remains $10 a month, and our two unlimited data smartphones are $30 apiece. YMMV,

Correct.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12