Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    754 Global Posts

Default Double GB promotion and data package question

I am excited about the 4GB for $30 and may consider switching from Sprint. Due to the nature of any changes to a data plan in the future and the promotion going away, there is the potential for losing the double data. I am curious how the data and hotspot plans work.

If I were to get the $30 4GB data option now and at some point after the promotion ends, I want to add the hotspot option to my line. Is the hotspot option an entirely new data option or a bolt on to an existing data option?

For example, does Verizon list the base $30 data package and separately a $20 hotspot option or is it one option at $50 for data/hotspot?

Thanks for your input.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Default Re: Double GB promotion and data package question

i am looking at switching to verizon and this is a big thing for me, how long will this promotion go on? will it last as long as i have my account? will it still be here the end of the month when my current contract is up?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    754 Global Posts

Amazon seems to think that the promo will expire at the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash76 View Post
    I am excited about the 4GB for $30 and may consider switching from Sprint. Due to the nature of any changes to a data plan in the future and the promotion going away, there is the potential for losing the double data. I am curious how the data and hotspot plans work.

If I were to get the $30 4GB data option now and at some point after the promotion ends, I want to add the hotspot option to my line. Is the hotspot option an entirely new data option or a bolt on to an existing data option?

For example, does Verizon list the base $30 data package and separately a $20 hotspot option or is it one option at $50 for data/hotspot?

Thanks for your input.
    My understanding is the mobile hot spot is an add on. You can take it away at any time. The double data can go away at any time but I feel it'll stay probably until you change your plan.

Quote Originally Posted by h20squirter View Post
    i am looking at switching to verizon and this is a big thing for me, how long will this promotion go on? will it last as long as i have my account? will it still be here the end of the month when my current contract is up?
    I would like to think it'll last as long as you keep the plan but I could be wrong.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    754 Global Posts

That's how I understand it as well.

You have to buy a 4G phone to get the 4GB of data for $30. If you do and you get the 4GB of data then it will be the length of your two year contract. The promotion at this point and time is only going until the end of the month. Also, the hotspot feature is an add on feature that you can add on or take off at any time.
    @missjennell
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    754 Global Posts

Where do you read that it is only good for the length of the contract? Thanks for the info.

Where do you read that it is only good for the length of the contract? Thanks for the info.
    I sell vzw plans and phones.
    @missjennell
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    754 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MissJennell View Post
    I sell vzw plans and phones.
    I have talked with three stores and they have all told me that as long as you don't switch data plans or go to a 3G device, that you will continue just like the unlimited folks.

Sent from my EVO 3D

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamus View Post
    My understanding is the mobile hot spot is an add on. You can take it away at any time. The double data can go away at any time but I feel it'll stay probably until you change your plan.

If you are already on grandfathered unlimited, the 4G Mobile Hotspot is a separate feature and can be added and removed without requiring a change to the original data plan.

However, this doesn't apply to the OP since he isn't grandfathered and would be a new customer.

Verizon Wireless has separate data plans with mobile hotspot and without mobile hotspot for 4G devices.

Currently, they offer the following plans that are double data (promo) with no mobile hotspot.

$30 for 4 GB
    $50 for 10 GB
    $80 for 20 GB

They also offer the following plans that include mobile hotspot and are increased because of the double data promo.

$50 for 6 GB (used to be 4 GB)
    The new plan allows for 4 GB of regular smartphone data and 2 GB Mobile Hotspot

$70 for 12 GB (used to be 7 GB)
    ****This plan allows for the full 12 GB to be used as either smartphone or hotspot IIRC

$100 for 22 GB (used to be 12 GB)
    ****This plan allows for the full 22 GB to be used as either smartphone or hotspot IIRC

What I am not completely sure about are the last 2 plans and how they allow for hotspot to be used.
    I am sure that the 6GB plan has a 2 GB cap for hotspot with additional GB billed at $10

It sucks for the OP because if he has the basic $30 plan for 4 GB and wants to add Mobile Hotspot after the promo has expired, he would have to switch plans and pay $50 for a 4 GB plan that includes 2 GB Mobile Hotspot.

It's great if your grandfathered, of course, because you can keep unlimited data plan and add or remove $30 4G Mobile Hotspot at will for the time being, so you can basically pay $1 per day on the days that you want to use it and during that day you are able to have unlimited usage by virtue of being grandfathered.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    754 Global Posts

After some research and talking to multiple store reps, there is some flexibility in the data plans.

So, if you get the double promo at $30 for 4GB you can later 'bolt on' a 2GB hotspot plan for $20 and remove it without affecting the double promo.

There is also a 'combined' option of 6GB for $50. If you want the ability to add and remove the hotspot option, make sure that they are coded separately ($30 and $20).

I have talked with three stores and they have all told me that as long as you don't switch data plans or go to a 3G device, that you will continue just like the unlimited folks.

Sent from my EVO 3D
    I talked with the verizon rep for my store and then her boss and they both said it was just for the term of the contract. Then if you upgraded to something else then you would have to change your data plan.
    @missjennell
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamus View Post
    The hotspot is a plan add on yes and can be added and removed at any time by the user yes. Unless you are grand-parented in on an unlimited data plan your hotspot will not be unlimited however.

As for the double your data plan it is good through a date in January (I forget what it was) and you have that long to add it to your account, however since it is a special plan code you will get to keep it until you yourself remove it.

This is a great time to switch from Sprint if that is what you want to do.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

I talked with the verizon rep for my store and then her boss and they both said it was just for the term of the contract. Then if you upgraded to something else then you would have to change your data plan.
    Whomever you talked to was misinformed. Upgrading does not take your plan or features away. You get to keep them for the foreseeable future even if you upgrade.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    754 Global Posts

Thanks. Waiting for the Galaxy Nexus and then I will make the switch. I have been thinking about the Rezound for now and then if I still want the Nexus I could pay the $35. Decision, decisions :-)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    Whomever you talked to was misinformed. Upgrading does not take your plan or features away. You get to keep them for the foreseeable future even if you upgrade.
    Just putting a different phone on the line won't take away the 4GB of data. But signing a new contract will.
    @missjennell
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

So what the hell is the point? it makes no sense to run the promotion if it's for only for one contractual period unless you're misinformed.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    754 Global Posts

Just putting a different phone on the line won't take away the 4GB of data. But signing a new contract will.
    That doesn't match what I have been told in multiple chats with Verizon.

Sent from my EVO 3D
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

No it wont. I have confirmed this with my VZW rep/trainer. It's like the unlimited data, yours until you remove it as long as you keep an LTE smartphone.

Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

That doesn't match what I have been told in multiple chats with Verizon.

Sent from my EVO 3D
    I work as an Indirect Verizon sales rep and have confirmed with both my VZW rep/trainer/contact and an in store rep I am friends with that this is like the unlimited data plans. As long as you keep an LTE smartphone on the line and don't change the feature yourself it is yours indefinitely.

@ MissJennell: Please stop spreading inaccurate information. When you renew a contract on VZW you renew under the same plan/features/terms you were under before unless you change them. The only exception I have ever seen was when they moved everyone off of the old America's Choice 2 plans a few years ago, and even that was linked to changing to a new device that was "incompatible" with America's Choice II.

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    ROM
    depends on the time

Can u answer one for me then? If I get ththis but I don't live in a 4g area will I still be throttled after 2 gigs of 3g.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by NOMster View Post
    Can u answer one for me then? If I get ththis but I don't live in a 4g area will I still be throttled after 2 gigs of 3g.

3G/4G "areas" are irrelevant. It only matters that you have a 4G capable device.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    3G/4G "areas" are irrelevant. It only matters that you have a 4G capable device.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk
    Exactly. And VZW does not throttle people who go over 2GB. That's TMobile. Verizon throttles the top 2% of data users on the network which is basically the people using Pandora, Netfix, and things like that all day long. Most of us will never have to worry about that.

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    ROM
    depends on the time

Let me rephrase because I don't think you u derstand the question. Currently for unlimited data users Verizon throttles 3g at 2 gigs. (Check the fine print) I'm wanting to know if this is also practiced on the tiered data plans. It hardly seems right but then, not much does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast