1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Default Overage Minutes Obliterated Me Last Month

My family has never went over on minutes before. However, because of some work meetings (I work from home) I went excessively over minutes last month. I did not receive an alert or warning about this (that's how they get you, isn't it? :P) so I did not know about this massive overage until the day after the last billing cycle ended. I even upgraded my voice plan by 700 minutes that night to lessen the overage charges, but that doesn't seem to have done anything.

That said, I have an excessively huge bill to pay. Is there anyway I can plead to VZW to somehow get the overage penalty reduced in some way? Any other suggestions on how to proceed without having to take this excessive hit?
    Last edited by Mapex; 12-14-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Default Re: Overage Minutes Obliterated Me Last Month

Just call and ask them.....you'd be amazed at how far please and thank you will get you sometimes.

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

ask them to up your minutes plan for that month. no idea how they agree to do this, but not only will they lose money, they will let you change your minutes back to the lower plan the very next month at no penalty. This is the one and only feature of verizon where they used lube and you enjoy it.

So you want them to let you out of paying your bill with your overages because you weren't paying attention to how many minutes you were using?
    @missjennell

ROM
    Depends on my mood ^^

Either go into a store or call customer care. At least if you decide to backdate to a higher minute plan, they will reduce some of the overage charges, I believe between 25% to 50% of it.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Just an update (I was putting this off for a bit :P).

I was able to get 35% of the overage fee axed, luckily (they couldn't retroactively upgrade the plan because I called after the billing cycle ended). It's still quite a bit I have to pay but at least I know for next time to be more mindful of my minutes. I also upgraded to the 2k minute plan to provide extra minutes to ensure we don't get screwed over (as badly) if this happens again.

Thank you all for the advice. It was greatly appreciated.

One day via VoLTE (and a non-criminal carrier) we'll have unlimited everything for a reasonable price. One day...

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Mapex View Post
    I also upgraded to the 2k minute plan to provide extra minutes to ensure we don't get screwed over (as badly) if this happens again.
    Yeah, that extra few bucks a month becomes chicken feed after being hit with a high overage bill. One other thing I do to stay within my minutes is that I put a lot of my IT client's software vendors on my "Friends and Family" list. These are vendors with dialing queues like... "All of our Rocket Scientists are helping other callers right now, your wait time is 1.2 hours. Please continue to hold"! Haha...!

It works.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

I upgraded to the 900 minutes and have 5 friends and family I can have free. Sometimes I use a lot. Sometimes I don't. But am glad to know I am safe.
    You can set up a notification that will let you know when you are close to your minutes. It is our own responsibility not the carrier's. Nice of them to give you a break on it though. And they do try to help.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

Most phone carriers will let you backdate an upgraded phone plan in order to cover your overage. Just be courteous and you can get it done

Quote Originally Posted by Cares View Post
    Most phone carriers will let you backdate an upgraded phone plan in order to cover your overage. Just be courteous and you can get it done
    If within the month. Yes. But after the end of the cycle. No. Can't backdate on a closed cycle because it is in the process of being billed.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1