Unlimited Data - Funny Story!

RoyEP3

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I was hesitant to share this story considering who might actually read these boards. But I had to share this with the people who I know would find it interesting because it's just too good to be true.

My dad just bought his first smartphone on Black Friday, signing up for the 4gb plan for the price of 2gb. He did this all on his own without knowing anything about androids, data plans, and other services that Verizon tries to include.

Before I continue this story, I should tell you that my parents are of Filipino heritage and have a hard time communicating in English, in addition to the fact that they are not very technologically inclined. So my mom finally gets the bill and sees all these unrecognized charges on my dad's line totaling to $90, and decides to call the Verizon call center to inquire about the charges. I decided to eavesdrop on this conversation since I too was curious on why it was so much, and simply just to entertain myself on how the rep would attempt to explain all these technological terms to my parents LOL.

I kid you not, some of the questions were "What is data?" and "What is this megabytes and gigabytes?" Even if successfully explaining what all that was and how it worked, the rep would still then have to explain the limitations and how to know current data usage and such. So the rep was trying to explain to my mom that she had to dial #DATA and it would text back the data usage. What she got out of that was to send a text message to #DATA. So she just kept asking, "How do I send a text message? Compose message? How do I do that?"

I was both laughing in my head and frustrated for the rep. At any point I could simply step in and save them both the trouble, but I thought -- what if I wasn't there? This is a natural and probably common situation between a technologically challenged person and a Verizon rep, so I decided to just let nature take its course and see what happens.

Well eventually, my mom says, "Why doesn't he have unlimited data? My son has unlimited data. I don't understand this. He doesn't have to pay extra. We've been customers for a long time now." -- Along the lines of that, but in a strong accent and missing words and such. So I'm thinking, "Oh mom, they're not going to give you unlimited data!" But the rep responds, "Okay let me see what I can do." A few seconds later, BAM my dad now has unlimited data. I couldn't believe it! I didn't even know they were capable of making such changes! But apparently so.

Anyway that's my story. It was pure luck. I guess she just spoke to the right rep at the right time, which seems to be the case in everything Verizon. I doubt this will work for any or many of you, but this just shows that it is possible. Boy she made it look easy though... or well, easy from my point of view.

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
That's an awesome story. I'm going to keep this mind if I ever have to travel and live for an extended period in a non-English speaking country. :cool:

5h4un360

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Cool story bro. Lol jk hmm.... I might try that whenever I lose my unlimited one day ha

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So they got phones that required data, signed a contract and still didn't know anything about their bill? I think this goes beyond simple ignorance.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
That's an awesome story. I'm going to keep this mind if I ever have to travel and live for an extended period in a non-English speaking country. :cool:

Good luck finding a country where they don't speak English. :p

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk and Swype, so please forgive any spelling errors.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow, great story, thanks for sharing. :D I will be sure to pass this on those I know without unlimited data.

Brennb#AC

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The rep probably figured if the user didn't know what DATA was putting them on the unlimited would not hurt VZW.... probably stay under the 4g anyway..