Mobile hotspot or USB wireless card

winste

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
My company is changing it's reimbursement policy and I have to get rid of my company supplied wireless card.

So I am looking at either

1. upgrading from my Droid X to a 4g phone and adding hotspot functionality or
2. buying a 4g USB modem and adding the $50 data plan to my account

My question is in theory, would their be a difference in the quality of the service?

Do USB modems tend to get better signals than phone? What about the data transfer between the two?

I've never used tethering. I don't do any gaming. I am on an unlimited data plan so if I just upgrade phone, I can at least keep that. But I also think 5gb would be more than enough.

Either option is close enough to my monthly expense limit so that is not a factor.

The biggest advantage of using a modem would be I could let me wife use it on our laptop when I am not around.

Can you use VZ Access Manager with tethering?

Thank you.

pingplayer01

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
If you did the hotspot through your phone, you would only get 2GB of usage for $20, even though you have unlimited data on your phone. You might as well get the mobile hotspot jetpack (modem) device for 5GB for $50 if the company pays for it. The mobile hotspot jetpack (modem) device would be faster anyway, because if you run it through your phone, your phone has to receive the signal, compress it, the release it out again. Also if you do the hotspot through your phone, you cannot make or receive phone calls while its turned on. And with the mobile hotpsot jetpack (modem) device, you don't need the stupid VZ Access Manager.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy