Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Default Phone for my wife for Xmas

Hey all. Was hoping for a little help here. I am getting my wife a new phone for Xmas. Wanted to surprise her, so haven't asked her to look at the different available phones. For the most part, I've been picking her phones for her, as we go. We both got the BB Tour, way back when. Then upgraded to the Droid X. I recently just switched over to the Nexus for myself.

So, the question is.. Razr or Rezound? Personally, I think she might prefer the Rezound, because of the better screen. But, would it make more sense to go from Moto to Moto? She is already familiar with MotoBlur.. Never had a HTC phone, so never used Sense, so not sure what the learning curve would be.. Another thing is build quality.. With three kids, anything can happen to our phones. I know the Razr kills it, in that perspective...

I know it's hard to have you tell me what MY wife would like, but in general, what do you guys think? What is the way to go?

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Phone for my wife for Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by dcusick View Post
    Hey all. Was hoping for a little help here. I am getting my wife a new phone for Xmas. Wanted to surprise her, so haven't asked her to look at the different available phones. For the most part, I've been picking her phones for her, as we go. We both got the BB Tour, way back when. Then upgraded to the Droid X. I recently just switched over to the Nexus for myself.

So, the question is.. Razr or Rezound? Personally, I think she might prefer the Rezound, because of the better screen. But, would it make more sense to go from Moto to Moto? She is already familiar with MotoBlur.. Never had a HTC phone, so never used Sense, so not sure what the learning curve would be.. Another thing is build quality.. With three kids, anything can happen to our phones. I know the Razr kills it, in that perspective...

I know it's hard to have you tell me what MY wife would like, but in general, what do you guys think? What is the way to go?
    Well since you guys have always had the same phones, why not just get her a nexus? Besides, if one of you has a problem, maybe the other one can figure it out.
    Thanked by:

I'm like you and picked my wife up the razr yesterday. Although I have the Thunderbolt and really like HTC phones I think the razr was best for her. She had the droid x too so is familiar with moto and plus the razr should be a little more durable with the kevelar back and gorilla glass. Plus the big deal breaker was the lapdock. A guy I work with got one with his bionic and its freaking sweet.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Yeah, I was totally set on the Rezound. Then I went to a Verizon store today, and looked again at the phones. The Razr just seems so much better.. The Rezound looked cheap, and felt like a toy. I guess in the end, you can't beat the Moto build quality. As much as I love the Nexus, I don't think she will like it as much. So, I think the Razr just might be the way to go here. I have come full circle! I get an employee discount on phones, so $50 off.. So I guess if she hates it, I am still okay to eat the restocking fee on the exchange for a different phone..

Of course I have to wait for tomorrow to do this. My upgrade date is up tomorrow. And *611 three times turned me down on moving the date up ONE day. All stored denied it. I just don't get this. I hear of people getting moved up 3+-months for their upgrade, and after 10 years with the company, I can't move my date up ONE lousy day! UGH. Was really trying to avoid fighting those crowds on Xmas Eve. Oh well.

Thanks for the input guys.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for now

So, the question is.. Razr or Rezound?
    I am a female with small hands and the Razr was uncomfortable in my hand. The edges felt sharp and the width made it awkward to hold to the point I was afraid I would drop it. So if your wife has small hands, or even just smaller than yours, which she likely does, that is something to think about. You could put a case on it to make the edges less sharp, but that would only make it more wide.

The Rezound was too thick and heavy to be comfortable to hold with my small hands. And the glass on the screen is so reflective it could be used as a mirror. Definitely you will need a matte screen protector on that thing.

Honestly, the phone that felt the best to me was the Galaxy Nexus. And I loved the screen. Since you are going to have the GN, too, you could teach your wife how to use it.

My glove size is a ladies small if that helps.

ROM
    Stock

Of course I have to wait for tomorrow to do this. My upgrade date is up tomorrow. And *611 three times turned me down on moving the date up ONE day. All stored denied it. I just don't get this. I hear of people getting moved up 3+-months for their upgrade, and after 10 years with the company, I can't move my date up ONE lousy day! UGH. Was really trying to avoid fighting those crowds on Xmas Eve. Oh well.
    I work at a VZW store, and we have the ability to push upgrades seven days early.

I was going to get the Razor and just did not like the way the phone felt in my hand. I also had my daughters come try out phones. They both liked the Rezound. We got a great deal with Amazon a few weeks back and we love the phones. They both find the phone great to hold.

Personally before I would surprise someone with a phone I would have them go and try a few out at the store. Yes takes a bit away from the surprise but this is a device they need to carry for 2 years. I think they should really be comfortable with the choice.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

If she is into social networking at all (ie twitter or Facebook) bet her the Rezound.

If your wife is the kind whi wants her phone to just work and has no patience for things not working right (ie apps force closing) then I would avoid the Nexus. As tempting as it may be to get the newest OS, it often isnt the best choice for people.

RAZR is a really nice phone but the camera isn't too hot (newest OS made it better) and either of the other two are better,
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

That's very odd, in my experience that should have been no proble,. Whenever I have dealt with telesales they have told me as long as I was within 30 days I was good. Another time they got off the phone talked to a manager and updated me almost three moths early.

Different stores seem to have different practices though. I got a phone moved up a week once in store but have seem others turned down similar things. My friend who works there told me they are getting a lot stricter about early upgrades, largely because of the people who abuse the system but I don't get why they cant do it a day or two early during Christmas.

Are you sure you were in a real Corporate store not a ZWireless Premium Retailer? You wouldnt be the first to get them confused.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

One way a customer will know if they are dealing with an indirect is that company name is also suppose to be on the sign. And if they are a premium dealer it will say premium dealer. Corporate stores only have Verizon wireless on their sign. No other name will be with it

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    One way a customer will know if they are dealing with an indirect is that company name is also suppose to be on the sign. And if they are a premium dealer it will say premium dealer. Corporate stores only have Verizon wireless on their sign. No other name will be with it

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    Yep, but unfortunately a log of people see the giant red Z in the ZWireless sign and think they are dealing directly with Verizon when in fact they are not. You have to read very carefully.