Opinions on who to switch to

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I've decided after more than a decade of VZ "service" to switch. Their network coverage is good and the $2 charge they announced then renounced really had nothing to do with it.

With 5 lines, one with unlimited data grandfathered in, I've held on longer than I think I should. Several issues, will not be detailing those. Just time to move on.

Anyway, would like some input from users of other US carriers to get opinions on which they think would be the best.

AT&T is the next best I suppose, but are there other options? I'm considering T-Mobile now that the merger with big T is off. Had some problems with coverage on a business phone line on Sprint about 6 years ago. Has it improved?

I'm in Denver, CO and I need the coverage in the mountains and plains from Montana to New Mexico, Kansas to California.

Any thoughts and input is welcome.

Thanks for you time.

btc0526

I wish I worked at google
May 25, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I would say to stay with Verizon. I moved from to Verizon to every other carrier out there. After going from the best to the worst its just hard to get used to. My Verizon phone was *y but I have to say they have the BEST service. I'm tired of not being able to connect inside my home with At&t and T-mobile

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've decided after more than a decade of VZ "service" to switch. Their network coverage is good and the $2 charge they announced then renounced really had nothing to do with it.

With 5 lines, one with unlimited data grandfathered in, I've held on longer than I think I should. Several issues, will not be detailing those. Just time to move on.

Anyway, would like some input from users of other US carriers to get opinions on which they think would be the best.

AT&T is the next best I suppose, but are there other options? I'm considering T-Mobile now that the merger with big T is off. Had some problems with coverage on a business phone line on Sprint about 6 years ago. Has it improved?

I'm in Denver, CO and I need the coverage in the mountains and plains from Montana to New Mexico, Kansas to California.

Some carriers offer to pay the ETF if you switch to their service. The local bell system where I live offers this service. I have not investigated it yet. Its hard to believe they would fork out $350.

Thanks for you time.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Why not just look at the coverage maps for each carrier and make you decision based on that? If you don't believe the coverage maps talk to people who have to travel your area in their jobs and ask them who's next best. But when I did that I was told VZ was #1 and everyone else sucked. Unfortunately, it's true for my areas.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for you time.

You will regret your decision to leave. Just look at coverage maps
Where you travel you are on the best. And they have always been the best

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Strange that you would "quote" me with an edit and yet not add anything of your own.

Why the attempted hijack?
Hijack? Seriously?

Actually, he did reply -- in the middle of your quote...
Here...
Some carriers offer to pay the ETF if you switch to their service. The local bell system where I live offers this service. I have not investigated it yet. Its hard to believe they would fork out $350.

Personally, I'm in the camp that you should try to keep your Verizon service. However I know your original post said you weren't interested in discussing that. I suppose AT&T would be next. Beats me. I had AT&T before I switched to VZW over 10 years ago. I thought they kinda sucked.

-Frank

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hijack? Seriously?

Actually, he did reply -- in the middle of your quote...
Here...

Personally, I'm in the camp that you should try to keep your Verizon service. However I know your original post said you weren't interested in discussing that. I suppose AT&T would be next. Beats me. I had AT&T before I switched to VZW over 10 years ago. I thought they kinda sucked.

-Frank

Yeah, saw his reply in the middle of my quote. That's what makes it look like a hijack. Appears his reply is part of my original. Oh well, - meh- LOL

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
My only thoughts are to maybe try a couple of pre-paid lines with AT&T and T-Mobile and see about the coverage before you switch.

If you wind up determined to switch, you could call Verizon and tell them you are about to dump 5 lines of service, you may wind up with a customer retention CSR who has more flexibility in what they can offer you. You might not stay anyway, but it's probably worth a shot, seeing as you are going to need 5 new handsets since both AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM not CDMA.

When I switched years ago from then BellSouth Mobility to Airtouch because of the "true" no roaming no long distance on Airtouch, BellSouth's only argument was I'd have to give up my phone number and get a new one. I gave them two opportunities to counter-offer, both over the phone and in-person at a corporate store, they didn't budge, so I walked.

With number portability these days, that's less of an issue for you.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
My only thoughts are to maybe try a couple of pre-paid lines with AT&T and T-Mobile and see about the coverage before you switch.

If you wind up determined to switch, you could call Verizon and tell them you are about to dump 5 lines of service, you may wind up with a customer retention CSR who has more flexibility in what they can offer you. You might not stay anyway, but it's probably worth a shot, seeing as you are going to need 5 new handsets since both AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM not CDMA.

When I switched years ago from then BellSouth Mobility to Airtouch because of the "true" no roaming no long distance on Airtouch, BellSouth's only argument was I'd have to give up my phone number and get a new one. I gave them two opportunities to counter-offer, both over the phone and in-person at a corporate store, they didn't budge, so I walked.

With number portability these days, that's less of an issue for you.

I would be switching only the Primary line with unlimited data at this time. Another line would become the primary. unfortunately, new phones and new contracts for Everyone but me so far this year so they will stay on VZ for another 2 years. Unlimited data may be the beat all to end all, but unless I'm using it for a tablet, then I would never use it. My blackberry with corp and personal email never used up 1GB a month even when I used it a lot (I thought)

Just a Guy

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I've had a few issues with Verizon myself lately, but just can't see myself leaving. Where I'm at its basically Verizon or AT&T except for the 2 people I know with sprint and 1 person with T-mobile. I absolutely refuse to go back to AT&T after the way they jerked me around about 6 years ago and I don't think the coverage with the others are good enough compared to Verizon. It just sucks sometimes knowing that they realize they have some of the best service and can hold that against you lol.