Keeping unlimited plan when buying from store other than Verizon

techx4

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I know there are plenty of stores to purchase phones from like amazon which has some nice deals. I am up for my 2 year contract renewal and are ready to upgrade but when I go to check out I do not see my grandfathered unlimited data plan as an option. Does this mean that I can ONLY purchase my phone upgrade directly from Verizon if i want to keep that plan because these other stores can't sell me a plan that is no longer available?

Thanks

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Keeping unlimited plan when buying from store other than Veri

Most 3rd party sites require you to get certain plans or add certain features in order to get the phones at the price they offer. Look into the fine print before you buy.

techx4

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

Most 3rd party sites require you to get certain plans or add certain features in order to get the phones at the price they offer. Look into the fine print before you buy.

Ahh ok, that kind of sucks so I'm pretty much stuck getting phones from verizon with their prices if I want to keep my unlimited data.

Thanks

sherri

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Not always true. Renewed my daughters unlimited plan at Best Buy to get her a free Droid 2 (last year....)Same unlimited plan she had before. Called "extension" of plan, or renewal. Not a new plan.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

But Best Buy is an authorized retailer. Sites like Amazon and such add different terms to the contract.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

it also could be a system limitation. Sometimes newer ESN's trigger a rate plan change anyway.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

I was wondering the same thing as OP. I'm thinking about getting a Galaxy Nexus from Wirefly, but I'm concerned about losing my old unlimited data plan.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

it also could be a system limitation. Sometimes newer ESN's trigger a rate plan change anyway.

You should be fine visiting any big box store (BB, Radioshack, Walmart, Target, ZWireless, etc.), but depending in their systems they may not be able to see what features you have on your line so make sure to tell them you have grand-parented in unlimited data and want to keep it.

Ad as for Wiirefly, just go in their site and start an order and if it prompts to change your plan then just cancel.