1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Default On the border of LTE coverage? Will I regret getting 4G phone?

According to the Verizon coverage maps I'm about a quarter mile inside the edge of the 4G range at my house. Will I regret getting a 4G phone? What is folks experience when living on the fringes of the coverage? Does it come in reliably or is it pretty spotty depending upon the day/weather/price of gold in China? :-)

Thanks,
    Eric

P.S. I'm just north of Philadelphia.

Default Re: On the border of LTE coverage? Will I regret getting 4G phon

Quote Originally Posted by ecfinn View Post
    According to the Verizon coverage maps I'm about a quarter mile inside the edge of the 4G range at my house. Will I regret getting a 4G phone? What is folks experience when living on the fringes of the coverage? Does it come in reliably or is it pretty spotty depending upon the day/weather/price of gold in China? :-)

Thanks,
    Eric

P.S. I'm just north of Philadelphia.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe if one is on the Fringe of 4g, the phone bounces back and forth between 3g and 4g eating up a lot of battery. In which case people elect to turn off 4g and just use 3g.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Get 4G.

I remember when people (including me)...

-Didn't want to accept DOS 4 (over DOS 2 and 3)
    -Didn't want to use a Mouse (over the good ole' keyboard)
    -Didn't want to "migrate" DOS to Windows
    -Didn't want to "abandon" XP
    -Didn't want to leave a Motorola phone because of its rep for good reception (in the olden days)
    -Didn't want to abandon Word Perfect
    -Did I forget Novell? Whatever.

JUST DO IT!

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Believe me, I want 4G. I just want to know if it'll be a problem being on the fringe of the coverage area. If its bouncing back and forth that's a problem I'd rather avoid until they get up a new tower. Can anyone confirm the bouncing back/forth from 3G to 4G problem?

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The 3G/4G switching can eat up your battery charge. However, only by getting a phone and actually testing it out can you see if the coverage map is right or not. Verizon allows 14 days for you to return a phone without invoking the Early Termination Fee.

Even if it turns out you are living in an area where your phone is constantly swapping between the two signals, if you spend a lot of time in the 4G coverage you can set the phone to 3G only while you are home, and toggle to 4G when you are in solid coverage.

Also, Verizon plans to have LTE rolled out all across their network by the end of 2013. If you are in a suburban fringe, as they expand those coverage areas, it may be sooner that that.

But that's all speculation. Get one and try it for 13 days and make the decision on the 14th day. Only by trying one yourself where you live, work, and play will you know.

I'd go with a 4G phone just based on the fact that most of the nice phones going forward are LTE enabled. Like it was stated above, just turn on 3G, enjoy your phone, and hang out till Verizon's LTE lights up in your area.

You shouldn't regret it, especially if you plan to keep it until you become eligible for an upgrade. Verizon has rolled out much of its LTE, AT&T is just getting started, and Sprint will begin soon. Personally, I wouldn't get a phone without an LTE radio in it at this point. I went with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus over the GSM version for just that reason. LTE is the future, like it or not.

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    ROM
    Orville Redenbacher

Get it, then run a speed test. You'll love it.
    2005 GSXR 1000

I will say their map is not 100% accurate. BUT the inaccuracies I've seen have been in favor of 4G. There are areas in Ohio not labeled as 4G but my phone says 4G....

My point is that even if you're on the "edge" of 4G, it may actually be larger than depicted.

No 4G in my area yet. I didn't get my Rezound just because it's 4G ready. I got it because I like the phone and I was sick of dealing w/my TBolt's battery sucking issues. I think buying a phone means making decisions on more than one thing.

Sent from my Rezound via TapaTalk
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.