View Poll Results: Which Carrier is Best Overall?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • T-Mobile

0 0%
  • AT&T

5 10.20%
  • Sprint

10 20.41%
  • Verizon

34 69.39%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By anthony2558
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which Carrier is Best Overall?

[*]The contracts on my Sprint family plan accounts are expiring soon and I wanted to hear from others what U.S. cell phone carrier people think is overall the best.

Consider:
    • 4G Speed/Reliabilty
    • 3G Speed/Reliability
    • Data Allowances/Price
    • General Pricing
    • Coverage
    • Evilness/Less Evilness

Let's hear it!

Global Posts
    1,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It all comes down to where you live and who supplies the best service to that area. If there's no or poor coverage regardless of what it cost it worthless. I'm not gonna say Verizon is the best in my area cause someone is gonna jump all down my throat with their useless negative comments.

Tapatalk via Razr Maxx or GNex
    Last edited by anthony2558; 02-17-2012 at 01:10 AM.
    wpavlik2 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

Default Re: Which Carrier is Best Overall?

In my city, I've tried them all. Verizon is the best and Sprint a close second. But I like having service everywhere that others don't. Especially 4G.
    Thanked by:

You definitely want to test drive the other carriers network first. I found out the hard way. lucky I was able to port back To my original carrier. Test out the network with a temp number first before porting all your lines.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anthony2558 View Post
    It all comes down to where you live and who supplies the best service to that area. If there's no or poor coverage regardless of what it cost it worthless. I'm not gonna say Verizon is the best in my area cause someone is gonna jump all down my throat with their useless negative comments.

Tapatalk via Razr Maxx or GNex
    Exactly!
    There are areas around my town that have drop outs for one or another carrier.
    Same thing with data speeds, etc.
    Take the time to test drive the service you want to use, in the areas you want to use it. The nice thing about Sprint is they have cross roaming with Verizon so, you do have nationwide coverage even if you aren't on their towers all the time. That and their prices are lower than the other national carriers for like services.

I think for a LOT of people, Cricket Wireless is the perfect option. (or Boost/Virgin mobile, even)
    Palm Pilot Pro->Palm V->BlackBerry 8100->PalmTreo650->PalmTreo680->OG iPhone->Palm Pre->OG Evo4G->EVO4GLTE,HTC ONE!
    Thanked by:

Verizon gets my vote. T-Mobile is another good option if they have service in your area, though.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I, myself am a bit torn between all four and below are my thoughts about each of the carriers:

Sprint
    I still have unlimited data with Sprint, but I'm moving to the Dallas area and Sprint is a little spotty in coverage there. Sprint 3G speeds are consistent, but I'd like a 4G option that works. For a family plan with 5 smart phones, I haven't found a better deal than Sprint's.

AT&T
    AT&T is at the top of my list right now because of their dual "4G" technologies. When you're not in LTE coverage (Dallas is AT&T HQ, so that may not be an issue), there's a good chance you'll be covered by a nice HSPA+ network. AT&T family plan can be cheap if you match your plan to your needs. If I put my mom on a dumb phone, it could actually be cheaper than Sprint, but with a lesser plan. I've heard people have problems with AT&T with dropped calls and the like. Probably my first choice considering the Dallas area (Plano specifically). Being able to switch phones by switching the SIM card in/out is nice, especially because you can use a smartphone without a data plan. AT&T hasn't really had any Nexus devices (unless you count Nexus S at BB or importing Unlocked Galaxy Nexus from Europe), but GSM Nexus devices seem to get updated faster than CDMA ones. I'm still waiting for ICS on my NS4G (although I have been running CM9 for awhile).

Verizon
    Definitely the best coverage overall for voice, 3G and 4G. I don't like EVDO 3G speeds or the price of Verizon's plans. I also don't like the battery drain of LTE. When Verizon is VoLTE, I think LTE phones will be a lot better on battery life. Or perhaps they'll figure out how to make the LTE radios more battery friendly.

T-Mobile
    I used to have T-Mobile and I was always happy with them. Their HSPA+ network is nice, but with no news of LTE, I'm not sure I'm ready to sign up for 2 years. Their prices are great in general. One hangup is that my wife would prefer to have an iPhone on our next carrier; although she is willing to go back to Android given the right size, quality, and speed. Also, having a SIM card is convenient, especially if you want a smart phone without a data plan. T-Mobile Nexus devices always seem to get updated first, which is definitely a pro for me since I'd like to go Nexus whenever possible.

I definitely see the pros and cons of all four carriers, which is why I wanted to hear everyone else's opinions.

Also, I posted this same thread and reply in all four carriers. Hope I'm not considered a spammer.

Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.0.4

VZW is the only carrier with 4G LTE in my area but the coverage is spotty and when you drop down to their 3G network, it is slow. However, if I want 4G LTE, and I do, it is my only choice. I also wanted the newest Nexus phone, and VZW is the only one to have it so far, although Sprint will get it soon. Sprint, though, doesn't have as good of penetration into buildings for voice calls, which is important to me.

I can't complain about VZW customer service, and I don't think my plan price is out of line compared to ATT. For a family plan with 2 lines, I pay $105/mo for 700 peak minutes, unlimited any mobile-to-any mobile, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited text and for an additional $30/mo I get unlimited data.

So the only thing I am limited on is calling land lines from 6am - 9pm Mon-Fri. It hasn't been a problem for me since I make it a point to use people's cell phone numbers, which most people I know prefer anyhow.

The any mobile-to-any mobile is only available in Florida for now, but it should be available in more markets at some point.
    Thanked by:

I just left AT&T for Verizon. Several reasons - biggest is the way they are treating their old "loyal" customers. What is the point of an unlimited plan that is throttled. Also, they only have 3G in my area, HSPA is coming sometime this spring. LTE, according to the Local AT&T offices, no sooner than 18 months and could be 24 months. Verizon is LTE in the area.

I left a ton of roll over minutes and my unlimited plan. No regrets, I had wanted to get my daughters smart phones, so going Verizon they each now have 4GB and great LTE phones (Amazon $.01 deal). Very happy with the service and coverage.

When we first moved to the area we had Sprint, very weak signal from my house. We could make calls but not clear ones and they dropped all the time. My old area Sprint was great, so I think they are a good option if you live in an area with good Sprint support.
    Thanked by:
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Here is the process I used:

#1 -- Buy into a network that has good coverage where you work, live and play. What good is any network if you can't use it where and when you need it.

#2 -- Consider the cost of service. This is the real cost over time. On contract phones range from free to $300.00. Over the life of a contract you can spend well over $1400.00 o more. Don't get caught up on the price of your phone. The real cost is your service.

#3 -- Does the carrier have devices that will fit your needs.

For me, Verizon fits the bill. They cost more, but they have coverage everyplace I go.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

if u get good service with sprint stay there. Unlimited data., cheaper price on phone updates and service compared to vzw

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

What everyone else has said: Your mileage will vary.

I have been a Verizon customer since the Airtouch days. When I was buying my first Airtouch phone, another guy walked up looking at Powertel (now T-Mobile). He started asking about my selection, and not wanting to hose a sale for the vendor who just cut me a deal, I started explaining CDMA, GSM, TDMA, etc. The vendor asked me if I wanted a job.

More recently, Verizon called me up and asked me why I answered one of their surveys to the effect that VZW was not an automatic recommendation. Coverage, budget, and what the user needs and expects all are factors.

ROM
    Stock

Just fyi, since you posted this poll in the Verizon forum, that means that Verizon is the best.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyNex 0.7.6/Imoseyon's

Quote Originally Posted by ilongbored View Post
    I, myself am a bit torn between all four and below are my thoughts about each of the carriers:

Sprint
    I still have unlimited data with Sprint, but I'm moving to the Dallas area and Sprint is a little spotty in coverage there. Sprint 3G speeds are consistent, but I'd like a 4G option that works. For a family plan with 5 smart phones, I haven't found a better deal than Sprint's.

AT&T
    AT&T is at the top of my list right now because of their dual "4G" technologies. When you're not in LTE coverage (Dallas is AT&T HQ, so that may not be an issue), there's a good chance you'll be covered by a nice HSPA+ network. AT&T family plan can be cheap if you match your plan to your needs. If I put my mom on a dumb phone, it could actually be cheaper than Sprint, but with a lesser plan. I've heard people have problems with AT&T with dropped calls and the like. Probably my first choice considering the Dallas area (Plano specifically). Being able to switch phones by switching the SIM card in/out is nice, especially because you can use a smartphone without a data plan. AT&T hasn't really had any Nexus devices (unless you count Nexus S at BB or importing Unlocked Galaxy Nexus from Europe), but GSM Nexus devices seem to get updated faster than CDMA ones. I'm still waiting for ICS on my NS4G (although I have been running CM9 for awhile).

Verizon
    Definitely the best coverage overall for voice, 3G and 4G. I don't like EVDO 3G speeds or the price of Verizon's plans. I also don't like the battery drain of LTE. When Verizon is VoLTE, I think LTE phones will be a lot better on battery life. Or perhaps they'll figure out how to make the LTE radios more battery friendly.

T-Mobile
    I used to have T-Mobile and I was always happy with them. Their HSPA+ network is nice, but with no news of LTE, I'm not sure I'm ready to sign up for 2 years. Their prices are great in general. One hangup is that my wife would prefer to have an iPhone on our next carrier; although she is willing to go back to Android given the right size, quality, and speed. Also, having a SIM card is convenient, especially if you want a smart phone without a data plan. T-Mobile Nexus devices always seem to get updated first, which is definitely a pro for me since I'd like to go Nexus whenever possible.

I definitely see the pros and cons of all four carriers, which is why I wanted to hear everyone else's opinions.

Also, I posted this same thread and reply in all four carriers. Hope I'm not considered a spammer.
    It's expensive but you can buy unlocked iPhones to put into t-mobile. Just a thought.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Verizon has the best network, but they have the least flexibility. For many years I was a happy Verizon customer.

I was told that I would have to teach at a remote Air Force base in Texas for 8 months. I contacted Verizon customer service to see what I would need to do to keep my service and comply with the terms of my contract. The rep told me that they didn't have service in that area so I would have to change my $40/500 min plan to their nationwide roaming $70/300 min plan but I would be able to change back to my old plan when I finished my tour.

Everything worked as advertised until I finished my mission and returned to my home. When I attempted to switch back to my old plan I was told that the plan was no longer offered so I wouldn't be able to switch back. I explained that I called before I left and was told by customer service that I would be able to switch back - tough. I explained that I wasn't a confused teenager unable to decide on a plan I was on active-duty with the US Air Force and could supply copies of my orders - tough.

After several frustrating conversations with Verizon customer service I wrote a letter to Verizon explaining my plight and asking for help from someone higher up on their food chain. Three days later I got a call from a high-speed customer service ninja. She thought she was anyway but she was a recent college grad whose grades were so poor she worked in customer service. She was focused on getting me the best plan from the plans Verizon had available. Switching me to my old plan wouldn't be possible since that plan was no longer offered.

I counted the days until I would be out of contract. I was lied to by their customer service. I was exploited while serving my country. No one at Verizon cared. I woke at 3:30 on the morning my contract was up and called to cancel. When I told retentions why i was leaving the first thing out of his mouth was, "No problem, we can just put you back on your old plan!". Really?

While you folks are enjoying your 4G red network put "Verizon pays no taxes" into your favorite search engine and see what comes up. No taxes paid, $1 billion in rebates given.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

I would say Sprint. I had sprint for the last four years. Great coverage. Great plans. And unlimited data!! I never had a problem on Sprint. No dropped calls like T-Mobile. And not paying an arm and a leg for Verizon service (even though I'm on Verizon now, wife wanted an iphone).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Swype Beta on Tapatalk!

Quote Originally Posted by SERO wireless View Post
    Verizon has the best network, but they have the least flexibility. For many years I was a happy Verizon customer.

I was told that I would have to teach at a remote Air Force base in Texas for 8 months. I contacted Verizon customer service to see what I would need to do to keep my service and comply with the terms of my contract. The rep told me that they didn't have service in that area so I would have to change my $40/500 min plan to their nationwide roaming $70/300 min plan but I would be able to change back to my old plan when I finished my tour.

Everything worked as advertised until I finished my mission and returned to my home. When I attempted to switch back to my old plan I was told that the plan was no longer offered so I wouldn't be able to switch back. I explained that I called before I left and was told by customer service that I would be able to switch back - tough. I explained that I wasn't a confused teenager unable to decide on a plan I was on active-duty with the US Air Force and could supply copies of my orders - tough.

After several frustrating conversations with Verizon customer service I wrote a letter to Verizon explaining my plight and asking for help from someone higher up on their food chain. Three days later I got a call from a high-speed customer service ninja. She thought she was anyway but she was a recent college grad whose grades were so poor she worked in customer service. She was focused on getting me the best plan from the plans Verizon had available. Switching me to my old plan wouldn't be possible since that plan was no longer offered.

I counted the days until I would be out of contract. I was lied to by their customer service. I was exploited while serving my country. No one at Verizon cared. I woke at 3:30 on the morning my contract was up and called to cancel. When I told retentions why i was leaving the first thing out of his mouth was, "No problem, we can just put you back on your old plan!". Really?

While you folks are enjoying your 4G red network put "Verizon pays no taxes" into your favorite search engine and see what comes up. No taxes paid, $1 billion in rebates given.
    I am sorry for the inconvenience you dealt with. Anytime changes are made on anything get a name and a badge ID if possible. Also ask that your account be documented on what was discussed and promised. Retention is the dept that makes the changes happen for the customers.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

ROM
    Tiamat 2.1.0 Manta Ray

I agree its all about location. I use a Sprint hotspot with constant 4g signal, it works well. Verizon is good as well but I'm still on contract with sprint.

I've never found Verizon's coverage to be any better than the other major carriers. Their coverage maps lie, big time. I have them now after having AT&T and all I get are dropped calls and garbled sounds.

If 4g is a factor, Verizon for sure, All other carriers coverage for 4G is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Doh View Post
    I've never found Verizon's coverage to be any better than the other major carriers. Their coverage maps lie, big time. I have them now after having AT&T and all I get are dropped calls and garbled sounds.
    Their maps don't lie, every year each carrier gets rated and tested and ever year Verizon crushes their competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Doh View Post
    Then why do you have Verizon if all they do is drop calls? In the DC area Verizon is tops, especially if you ride the Metro rail where VZW is the only carrier with a signal.

As always go with what works for you. If you stay local to your area then you would probably do fine with a local carrier. If you travel alot like me then I need the power of a large national carrier with 4G coverage and speed for tethering.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk