Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Worry Free Guarantee vs exchange for defects

Bought a GNexus at Costco with upgrade on the 14th. 6 days later returned it because the battery didn't hold a charge and the network would drop out or be nonexistent most places. They gave me a new one. The new one still drops calls and searches for a network where other vzw network phones have full bars. The next day (today) i called 611 and vzw cs is telling me I can't switch it out for any other model(RAZR max) because I've used up my one time worry fee guarantee exchange. I'm within the 14 days, I've only exchanged a defective phone for a replacement. I should be able to still decide that the Galaxy Nexus is not for me. Isn't that the point of the 14 day worry free guarantee?

Only thing that I can think of is that Costco put it in the system as a switch to new type of phone.

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk

Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    Carrier
    stock 4.0.4

Default Re: Worry Free Guarantee vs exchange for defects

You are correct. The second GNex was a warranty replacement. Perhaps Costco did not put it in as a warranty replacement?

Tell VZW you have not had a worry free exchange, just a warranty replacement. See how that goes.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Warranty even if it's a brand new in-box nexus?

Banned

Global Posts
    2,781 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Does Costco have the Maxx now?

Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    Carrier
    stock 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by kirkiscool View Post
    Warranty even if it's a brand new in-box nexus?

Yes, initially they don't have refurbs available for a new device so all they can give you is another new one. That is what happened to me - my replacement GNex was brand new in-box and it was processed as a warranty replacement because that is what it was.

To have CLNR, they have to first get returned devices and then they have to be refurbished and tested. That takes awhile considering the GNex was released Dec. 15th and we had until Jan. 15th to return them under the extended holiday return period. Then you have to factor in the time to refurbish and test the devices. They are just now starting to have CLNRs available.

I bought directly from VZW, though, so maybe it is different if you buy from Costco.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

No. But the whole reason I called vzw was to ask if i returned the nexus at Costco would i still be able to get the upgrade price at a vzw store. She initially said yes until she looked up my account and said I'd already used my Worry Free Guarantee.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

I love when people don't read their terms. You get one exchange or return. You don't get both. Costco gave you a new in box phone. That's an exchange. Welcome to the phone you're going to have for two years!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Even if the first one was effed up?

Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    Carrier
    stock 4.0.4

No. But the whole reason I called vzw was to ask if i returned the nexus at Costco would i still be able to get the upgrade price at a vzw store. She initially said yes until she looked up my account and said I'd already used my Worry Free Guarantee.
    Call them back and tell them that Costco entered it wrong. You did a warranty return.

I know, this is what I did and it was processed as a warranty return. Costco processed it wrong.

Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    Carrier
    stock 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Mario View Post
    I love when people don't read their terms. You get one exchange or return. You don't get both. Costco gave you a new in box phone. That's an exchange. Welcome to the phone you're going to have for two years!
    This is false. You get as many warranty returns as needed to replace defective/malfunctioning devices as long as you are in warranty or have insurance. If they keep sending you effed up devices, you can keep returning them for refurbs.

When a phone is new, they do not have refurbs to give you so you get a new one for a warranty return. Eventually they will have refurbs to replace a warranty return with, but that usually takes a couple of months.

The other way I know this is false is because I did a warranty return on my GNex and received a new one. This one is still having problems and they offered me a Razr Maxx rather than another GNex. I declined and told them I will wait for the OTA update and if that doesn't fix the problem, then I would try one more time with another GNex. They said fine and put the notation in my account.

Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    Carrier
    stock 4.0.4

Even if the first one was effed up?

Ignore him, he is wrong. Just do what I said and call VZW back and tell them they need to correct Costco's mistake. This was a warranty return for a defective device and they need to correct your account records. Ask to speak to a supervisor if the rep you get doesn't understand.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Guy at the vzw store said to just return the nexus at Costco and the contract upgrade date should go back. Then go to vzw and pick a new phone. Hope he's right.

Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    Carrier
    stock 4.0.4

Guy at the vzw store said to just return the nexus at Costco and the contract upgrade date should go back. Then go to vzw and pick a new phone. Hope he's right.
    Yes, this is how it should work.