Quad Core Phones

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Are phones even fully taking advantage of multil core yet? Probably not when computers aren't either.

-----------------------------------------------------

"Programming truly multithreaded code often requires complex co-ordination of threads and can easily introduce subtle and difficult-to-find bugs due to the interweaving of processing on data shared between threads (thread-safety). Consequently, such code is much more difficult to debug than single-threaded code when it breaks. There has been a perceived lack of motivation for writing consumer-level threaded applications because of the relative rarity of consumer-level demand for maximum use of computer hardware."

Multi-core processor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-----------------------------------------------------

In all the research I had done in the past, I read that multi cores were good for things like encoding video, but, things like gaming and applications, not so much. I have a quad core at home and in my testing, I found this to mostly be the case. I was definitely never really utilizing four cores. I know I was utilizing three at one point (I forget what I was doing, I think I was gaming actually), but, never four.

And, I think by default, Windows 7 set my machine up to hyper thread. Four cores seems like plenty for a computer nowadays. I sure don't need four cores split into eight logical cores.

While I wouldn't be surprised if four core phones are right around the corner, it does some like overkill.

danfinger

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Is it even needed? What game or app are you using that you sit there waiting, thinking to yourself "I wish this were faster.."

I'd rather have really efficient ram and a dual core that doesn't kill my battery than a quad core.

Don't get me wrong I like advancing tech in any field- I'd just rather see advances in battery tech or power efficiency than faster processing scores.

I'm not playing skyrim on my phone. I'm not ripping DVDs on my phone. But I often leave my phone in my jacket pocket over night- it'd be great if it rang the next day without a charge.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Is it even needed? What game or app are you using that you sit there waiting, thinking to yourself "I wish this were faster.."

I'd rather have really efficient ram and a dual core that doesn't kill my battery than a quad core.

Don't get me wrong I like advancing tech in any field- I'd just rather see advances in battery tech or power efficiency than faster processing scores.

I'm not playing skyrim on my phone. I'm not ripping DVDs on my phone. But I often leave my phone in my jacket pocket over night- it'd be great if it rang the next day without a charge.

Good points, I agree with you on the battery part and advancing other areas. While I'm happy with the battery life on my phone, it could be better. But, if I had to carry around several extra batteries with me just to get through the day, I'd do it. I love my phone. :D

And, even if you were playing Skyrim on your PC, it probably wouldn't effectively utilize all four cores anyway. Hardware advancements ares far outpacing software advancements nowadays. That gap is just keep going to get bigger and bigger at the rate it's going.