Help - Upgrading my Mom's to smartphone

allisonv7

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Looking for some advice,

Going to be upgrading my mom tomorrow (hopefully) to a smartphone. She's not real techy, but would like to be able to google, look up directions, just your basic internet stuff, maybe a free game or two.

I'm looking at two for her at RadioShack.

1) Droid Incredible 2 - $19.99 - I have the first Incredible and love it, she seems to like mine so I think this would be a great option.

2) Samsung Stratosphere - $49.99 - This is my second choice mainly because of the 4G and the price point. She's not going to want to pay much for a phone (she thinks they should all still be free). Also, they have a deal running where you get double the data for the same price.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to get the Stratosphere basically for the double data deal that's going on now if you get a 4G phone? She's not going to be streaming movies or anything like that. Also, one of the main reasons she wants a smartphone is so she can access the internet from our lake home. I doubt they even have 4g there.

I don't know enough about the 3g/4g thing to make a solid decision for her. I do know that 3g works perfectly for me and she won't be doing more on it than I do.... but since she will have this phone for awhile is it wise to look at getting a low-priced 4g phone????

Any help is appreciated. I just want her to be happy with it for the next couple of years.

Thanks, Allison

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Get a phone with double data. May not be real useful now, bit who knows what she may use her phone for a year or two from now. Better to be prepared, and for the same price, you can't go wrong. For my mom I would go for the Samsung, thunderbolt(which is getting ICS), or a bionic, with the bugs worked out. Go for the double 4g data though, it'll be worth it in the long run. But of price really is a factor. For under a 100 bucks the Samsung or the Dinc are both good choices. I'd go 4g though, a little more future proof than a 3g only phone these days.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

allisonv7

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys for the insight. After reading more about the Stratosphere I'm thinking that's probably not going to be the phone for her. I would like to go with 4G though, so hopefully I can talk her into spending a bit more on one.

The specs on the Stratosphere vs. the Incredible just weren't great. I think I'd rather have a 3g Incredible than a 4g Stratosphere, especially knowing at this point her internet use is basic.

I'm hoping that Verizon running these double data deals (looked like there was one at the end of last year too) they'll have similar deals in a couple years.... Or more data than 2gb on their lesser plan.

We shall see when we go to the store in a bit what happens!!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thunderbolt is still an amazing phone. Does 3g and 4g. I have it. Love it

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy