New Upgrade Fees

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I have an issue, they will say do a factory reset. I have asked, when your computer has an issue, do you reformat, they say "no". Then they don't plan on doing more troubleshooting until I do a reset. It's annoying as hell. I have never once had an issue go away because of a factory reset. I remember my BB9950 had issues with the earpiece and they always ask for a factory reset. I always ask what does software have to do with hardware. They never give an answer. They are dumb as rocks.
Out of all the times I have had issues, I had one rep that said she knew of the issue and is sending a replacement out. No reset done, nothing. I told her my issue and within minutes, she had one put on order for me and I told her about how I always get asked to do a master reset, she just said "it's hardware, nothing to do with the OS or software or anything that the user can do".

My original RAZR before the MAXX started having the black trim pop out of place. No physical damage, just popping out as if it had unclipped. What was I asked to do? Reset my device and than if the issue persisted, continue with a factory reset. This was technical support and I had to keep explaining that all of that is not sense. The trim is just popping out and won't back in. How will resetting anything do a thing?!

...Can a person really be that stupid?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That's VZW tech for ya. I hate dealing with them. They provide top of the line phone service but deliver 3rd world country tech support. At least for the price they are putting on everything, we can get some decent tech support.
I doubt I will ever leave VZW because of my job and VZW just plain works. Most of the time, I use my personal phone because my AT&T work phone doesn't get service. But some places, my AT&T gets service and my VZW doesn't but that's like maybe 1 out of every 25 places I go to.

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Lol, nice. That is a great quote.

I agree, and, completely understand. You'll at least maybe get your point slightly more across if you do that venting to a supervisor though. No sense in chewing out a first line CSR.

The days of thinking you'll get farther with a supervisor are long long gone. Reps have more empowerment then ever, the only thing supervisors will do is reiterate what the rep has told you. I saw someone say earlier to "threaten to leave".......that's probably the oldest, most worn out threat in retail.

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I have an issue, they will say do a factory reset. I have asked, when your computer has an issue, do you reformat, they say "no". Then they don't plan on doing more troubleshooting until I do a reset. It's annoying as hell. I have never once had an issue go away because of a factory reset. I remember my BB9950 had issues with the earpiece and they always ask for a factory reset. I always ask what does software have to do with hardware. They never give an answer. They are dumb as rocks.
Out of all the times I have had issues, I had one rep that said she knew of the issue and is sending a replacement out. No reset done, nothing. I told her my issue and within minutes, she had one put on order for me and I told her about how I always get asked to do a master reset, she just said "it's hardware, nothing to do with the OS or software or anything that the user can do".

I enjoy reading all of these comments regarding reps being dumb. If you could only hear some conversations I have with fellow Verizon Wireless users...........most customers can't even make a simple prompt selection when calling our toll free number.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Sprint doesn't charge Upgrade fees. They are called Activation fees. Even new customers get hit with it unless they are running a promotion. I think it is rediculous that they will charge a fee to Upgrade. So now we have to pay them to sign a contract for 2 more years? Pretty sure this breaks the current contracts? Maybe not. No idea what the others companies do though.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I enjoy reading all of these comments regarding reps being dumb. If you could only hear some conversations I have with fellow Verizon Wireless users...........most customers can't even make a simple prompt selection when calling our toll free number.

All Reps aren't dumb. But there are some that are pretty bad. Or they just don't listen. I hate calling in, and telling them I did this, this and this, and then they have me do all the same things over again. There are also times I tell them something technical, and they have NO idea what I am talking about, but pretend they do and try and reply. BUT, I have also gotten reps that are SUPER helpful, and have me do things I would have never known/thought of.

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
All Reps aren't dumb. But there are some that are pretty bad. Or they just don't listen. I hate calling in, and telling them I did this, this and this, and then they have me do all the same things over again. There are also times I tell them something technical, and they have NO idea what I am talking about, but pretend they do and try and reply. BUT, I have also gotten reps that are SUPER helpful, and have me do things I would have never known/thought of.

For every one dumb rep comment people make, I've got at least ten stories I could tell regarding customers. One of the best being someone waiting in line at my former store for over 45 minutes.......simply to have a back taken off their phone

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
For every one dumb rep comment people make, I've got at least ten stories I could tell regarding customers. One of the best being someone waiting in line at my former store for over 45 minutes.......simply to have a back taken off their phone

I remember those days. For every 1 customers that knew what they were doing there were 50 that didn't. I always hated the asshats that called in and tried to tell me they knew what they were doing because they felt they knew more than me. I loved proving them wrong and I would make them hard reset there phone out of spite.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I remember those days. For every 1 customers that knew what they were doing there were 50 that didn't. I always hated the asshats that called in and tried to tell me they knew what they were doing because they felt they knew more than me. I loved proving them wrong and I would make them hard reset there phone out of spite.

I'd do it to if they acted as if they knew more than they do. I'm glad I don't have to pretend or lie about my technological knowledge as I'm pretty well informed. I do tell the representatives the steps I have taken when I call though. Thankfully, the representatives always let me bypass doing them again because honestly, a second time would be far more annoying knowing that the issue won't be fixed. :)

And like most jobs, for every good person, there is a certain number of bad ones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Blame Apple for upgrade fees plain and simple. Stop complaining about fees, because companies are dealing with losing a ton of money with smartphones. Companies who are selling iPhones are getting hit real hard, Look at sprint, they are going under because of them. Verizon never wanted e iPhone, but they had to get it, because of all the dumbasses who think the iPhone is the only good phone.

The fees are here to stay, you should be glad you have Verizon. At least they invest in their network and it shows. Their 4G network is inferior to anyone else. If you don't like fees, go to AT&T oh wait, they have upgrade fees, So go to sprint, Oh wait they charge even more. So then go to T mobile. Oh wait there's a fee too and a horrible network.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Blame Apple for upgrade fees plain and simple. Stop complaining about fees, because companies are dealing with losing a ton of money with smartphones. Companies who are selling iPhones are getting hit real hard, Look at sprint, they are going under because of them. Verizon never wanted e iPhone, but they had to get it, because of all the dumbasses who think the iPhone is the only good phone.

The fees are here to stay, you should be glad you have Verizon. At least they invest in their network and it shows. Their 4G network is inferior to anyone else. If you don't like fees, go to AT&T oh wait, they have upgrade fees, So go to sprint, Oh wait they charge even more. So then go to T mobile. Oh wait there's a fee too and a horrible network.

If the iPhone is the reason than put an upgrade fee for that device. Don't put the blame on those who choose not to buy an iPhone. The iPhone costs approximately $170 to manufacturer so Apple has no excuse for their high prices to cell phone providers. Personally, I despise Apple and everything that they bring upon us. Their computers, laptops, phones, iPods, etc. are all overpriced. There is no reason for us to sit here and act as if we must accept this. As a consumer, we have the right to spend our money where we feel like it and as a corporation, Verizon is out to get our money. I'll be damned if Verizon turns me away over $30 and I'm positive that won't happen. Why? Because as a smart consumer, I know what I'm talking about. You handle things politely, explain your reasoning, and considering this is a FEE and not a product, it can be waived. Fees are waived all of the time and this shouldn't and probably won't be any different (for me anyways).

Just glad to see you're not an iPhone fan or I may of had to go nuts on you! ;)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
They won't waive it, it's a company wide policy. New lines yes, but not for upgrades.

There are a lot of company wide policies that someone has gotten waived. Never say never because policies can be broken by an exception. ;)

This policy is no different than a new customers activation fee. I know plenty of people, including myself, who have gotten this waived. Not because of a promotion or company discount, but just plain niceness from Verizon.
Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
There are a lot of company wide policies that someone has gotten waived. Never say never because policies can be broken by an exception. ;)

This policy is no different than a new customers activation fee. I know plenty of people, including myself, who have gotten this waived. Not because of a promotion or company discount, but just plain niceness from Verizon.
Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

They won't waive it. Its been made clear that it won't happen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
They won't waive it. Its been made clear that it won't happen.

I've been told many times in my life that a fee couldn't be waived or the price on the sticker is final. That's not always the case. Rules and fees are meant to be broken - just ask banks with late fees or checking fees. Anything is possible if you know what to say or do for that given fee or price. Granted, not all things are negotiable and I'd agree that the majority of things are not, but I'd be willing to bet that this fee is easily waived if done correctly. If Verizon wanted this to be a fee that can't be "argued" out, they would have given a better reason for implementing this fee than "This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever." Trust me, it would not be that difficult to get this waived considering those reasons above are all non-sense to most of us. Wireless workshops are taught by those same "experts" that know as much as my mom does about smartphones and that's not saying much. My mom knows Android is made by Google and iPhone is made by Apple and that's about it. And online educational tools is no excuse to be charging us. How many people do you know that use any of these mentioned services or ever listen to the representatives either in store, phone, or internet? I have no friends or family that have asked for these type of programs. The hell if I'm going to pay them for these programs after considering that.

And I don't care if you want to call me a whiner or another bad word. I know what I'm talking about and that's all there is to it. Verizon's mission is to take my money and my mission is to KEEP my money. A multi-million (or more) dollar corporation will NOT under any circumstances let a long time, valued customer leave over $30. I would NEVER threaten to leave because that's the oldest and most ridiculous excuse in the book, but trust me, won't happen. Well... to me anyways. I'll report back when I upgrade next, but that won't be for a while. Haha.

Until he tries to get it waived, you can't say they won't waive it.
Thank you, at least you're making sense. Just because one person says "Verizon said it will never be waived" doesn't mean it's true. Verizon representatives have given out hundreds of "OFFICIAL" dates for RAZR's Ice Cream Sandwich update. All of those dates have passed and now we're given more dates. Why in the world would I listen to Verizon on anything?

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been told many times in my life that a fee couldn't be waived or the price on the sticker is final. That's not always the case. Rules and fees are meant to be broken - just ask banks with late fees or checking fees. Anything is possible if you know what to say or do for that given fee or price. Granted, not all things are negotiable and I'd agree that the majority of things are not, but I'd be willing to bet that this fee is easily waived if done correctly. If Verizon wanted this to be a fee that can't be "argued" out, they would have given a better reason for implementing this fee than "This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever." Trust me, it would not be that difficult to get this waived considering those reasons above are all non-sense to most of us. Wireless workshops are taught by those same "experts" that know as much as my mom does about smartphones and that's not saying much. My mom knows Android is made by Google and iPhone is made by Apple and that's about it. And online educational tools is no excuse to be charging us. How many people do you know that use any of these mentioned services or ever listen to the representatives either in store, phone, or internet? I have no friends or family that have asked for these type of programs. The hell if I'm going to pay them for these programs after considering that.

And I don't care if you want to call me a whiner or another bad word. I know what I'm talking about and that's all there is to it. Verizon's mission is to take my money and my mission is to KEEP my money. A multi-million (or more) dollar corporation will NOT under any circumstances let a long time, valued customer leave over $30. I would NEVER threaten to leave because that's the oldest and most ridiculous excuse in the book, but trust me, won't happen. Well... to me anyways. I'll report back when I upgrade next, but that won't be for a while. Haha.

Thank you, at least you're making sense. Just because one person says "Verizon said it will never be waived" doesn't mean it's true. Verizon representatives have given out hundreds of "OFFICIAL" dates for RAZR's Ice Cream Sandwich update. All of those dates have passed and now we're given more dates. Why in the world would I listen to Verizon on anything?

Joe the insider works for Verizon. If he says the fee can't be waived, it won't be waived. There are certain policies and fees service providers and retailers will not waiver on, and a fee like this is one of them.

Oh and Verizon would be more than happy to see you walk, because they know you'll come crawling back when you realize how poor the other networks are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki