Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Get a new phone or wait

I have the thunderbolt and my contract is up in November I really want a new phone. I was wondering should I get a new phone now.....or wait until my contract is up at the end of November?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

I would wait unless you really need a phone
    Last edited by taylorz_412; 04-28-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    I'm a superuser
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Naw....I don't really need a new phone I just want a new one. This thunderbolt is getting old for me

Global Posts
    370 Global Posts

Default Re: Get a new phone or wait

Remember, you are normally eligible 4 months early (20 months) unless you are calling November as your 20 month point.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by drummerman2008 View Post
    Naw....I don't really need a new phone I just want a new one. This thunderbolt is getting old for me

Personally, there is no way I would move away from the ThunderBolt and into another contract with the current crop of VZW smartphones. November is the perfect timeframe to expect some new and exciting stuff (unlike now, IMHO).

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    Thanked by:

I know I'm waiting until December at the earliest.

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Personally, there is no way I would move away from the ThunderBolt and into another contract with the current crop of VZW smartphones. November is the perfect timeframe to expect some new and exciting stuff (unlike now, IMHO).

-Frank
    But if he waits until March 2013 he will be able to pick from an even better crop.

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by jahoobob View Post
    But if he waits until March 2013 he will be able to pick from an even better crop.
    December 2013 is a better.
    In all seriousness, don't wait for the "next best phone." Just get one you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Hovik818 View Post
    December 2013 is a better.
    In all seriousness, don't wait for the "next best phone." Just get one you like.
    I have to agree if you want a phone and find one you like get it. My upgrade was due in December 11 decided to wait for some trade shows see what was coming then waited for mobile world Congress, finally said Phyttttt and upgrade in March. If you keep waiting for the latest and greatest you will still be waiting this time next year.

Besides right now I kind of think cell phones are just evolving with no true creation on the near horizon. Right now it's a bump in processor, my screen has 5 more pixels than yours, my camera is1000th of a second faster etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by metz65 View Post
    I have to agree if you want a phone and find one you like get it.
    Yeah, this is my usual advice too. However, compared to other VZW phones availabe now I don't see much difference between them and the TBolt. Might as well get a "real" upgrade, one day. Sooner than in two more years (or 20 months).

-Frank

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

Should you change your underwear today or wait? Should you have Corn Flakes for breakfast or eggs and toast? Should you put Unleaded or Unleaded Premium? These are the questions you should be asking. I would love to make all these choices for you.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Mario View Post
    Should you change your underwear today or wait? Should you have Corn Flakes for breakfast or eggs and toast? Should you put Unleaded or Unleaded Premium? These are the questions you should be asking. I would love to make all these choices for you.
    All your questions would depend on what the current state of your underware was at that time.

-Frank

Sent using Tapatalk 2
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by trivor View Post
    Remember, you are normally eligible 4 months early (20 months) unless you are calling November as your 20 month point.
    When I got my thunderbolt some how I got into a one year contract instead of a two year. But I wasn't tripping I was happy cause I don't have to wait two years for a new phone

Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    ROM
    leaked 2.3.3 rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Mario View Post
    Cool story bro
    I was told there would be hotter chicks here.

I went from tbolt to rezound. Huge difference and I am very happy. But in 6 months you will see a lit of quad core phones.

In your case def worth waiting for.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

That's why I decided to wait because of the quad cores

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Rumor has it that the SGS 3 is coming to Verizon. Wait till tommorow and decide. If you really want it dont deny yourself.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

I hope so because all Verizon carry are the Motorola smartphones.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phillyphreak View Post
    Cool story bro
    Thanks. Your approval means a lot to me.

I am not tired of my phone. This is the first time I am really happy with my phone. I like how I can switch out the homescreen design. And also weather widget with fancy Widgets. The phone is awesome

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    I am not tired of my phone. This is the first time I am really happy with my phone. I like how I can switch out the homescreen design. And also weather widget with fancy Widgets. The phone is awesome

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    The thunderbolt was/is a great phone. It still sells good on line and will be relevant for quit a while.
    Thanked by:
    ThunderboltTool Developer

ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

Quote Originally Posted by drummerman2008 View Post

Won't be old anymore if you root and flash a rom

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here

Like the OP I am kinda in the same boat. I've been eligible for an upgrade for 6 months or so and have been waiting on the sidelines. I have the original Droid X rooted and love it. A few things that have concerned me; I read (incorrectly) that if you were on an unlimited data usage and partook in the upgrade that they would port you off of the unlimited plans. Found out today from Verizon rep that this isn't the case.

The other concern is the root-ability of Ice cream sandwich on the new phones.
    An issue that arose for me a while ago was that once I left Froyo to GB even when rooted they did something to disable the wireless tethering. Not sure if this is still an issue.
    Needless to say I rolled back to Froyo and am happily sucking all the bandwidth I can.

So, my question is what are some of the best phones out there (large screen 4.3+) that people recommend (Verizon). And is ICS root-able? If so, can wireless tethering still be obtained?
    I see that the newest crop of phone (X and SGIII) are still a ways away. Any thoughts?

Thanks is advance.

Hi jnnyr,
    If you are fine with your phone you might as well wait for the next crop with ICS. I have the rezound and upgraded from the T-bolt. I love the Rezound and I think overall in the cell community it does not get the credit it deserves. I have not rooted it but the community in the forums for the rezound are helpful and it is pretty easy (from my readings). If you went with the RMax or even the Galaxy those have their followers but the Galaxy has a poor radio (from what I heard, but it does have ICS). I couldn't tell you anything other than the specs on the RMax.

Now one downside to the upcoming phones is that we really do not know what the hardware will be. I doubt we would get the same as what AT&T has. The latest version of the one S is an exciting phone but I am not enamored with the fact that I would be stuck with the battery that comes with the phone and it has no LTE shut off. All of this is subject to change of course.

So maybe wait a month and see if there is any more concrete news about upcoming phones from Verizon. If you are craving something new I say go with the rezound. You will be very happy and it will be a strong phone in the market for quite a while.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Is the Samsung Galaxy S3 coming to Verizon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast