Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ry
  • 1 Post By trivor
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Q: Why does Verizon charge so much for prepaid?

So I was meandering around Wally World the other day, looking for a car charger, and I see that Walmart sells Verizon prepaid cards and phones. $50 gets you unlimited talk, text, and 3G data. Sounds pretty good right? I thought so too, except... Theres one small caveat: thats $50 unlimited, on "Basic Phones" only (ie, no Android here.) Went to Verizons website to check their prepaid on smartphones (I like Android, duh) and what do I see? Its 64.99/mo for prepaid smartphone - talk and text only, no data. Huh???

Ok, so is this Verizons way of forcing everyone who wants to use a Gnex on Americas largest 4G Network (TM) to be locked in to a ridiculously expensive contract?

I mean, this is just ... wrong to charge people $65 for talk and text, but I guess it makes sense for them to make their gobs and gobs of money.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

Default Re: Q: Why does Verizon charge so much for prepaid?

How is that expensive? The same plan with Talk and Text and the 30 dollar data plan would be about 110 bucks, with a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Mario View Post
    How is that expensive? The same plan with Talk and Text and the 30 dollar data plan would be about 110 bucks, with a contract.
    Its expensive compared too other carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    So I was meandering around Wally World the other day, looking for a car charger, and I see that Walmart sells Verizon prepaid cards and phones. $50 gets you unlimited talk, text, and 3G data. Sounds pretty good right? I thought so too, except... Theres one small caveat: thats $50 unlimited, on "Basic Phones" only (ie, no Android here.) Went to Verizons website to check their prepaid on smartphones (I like Android, duh) and what do I see? Its 64.99/mo for prepaid smartphone - talk and text only, no data. Huh???

Ok, so is this Verizons way of forcing everyone who wants to use a Gnex on Americas largest 4G Network (TM) to be locked in to a ridiculously expensive contract?

I mean, this is just ... wrong to charge people $65 for talk and text, but I guess it makes sense for them to make their gobs and gobs of money.

Can you even use an LTE phone on Verizon prepaid?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Can you even use an LTE phone on Verizon prepaid?
    I think u could, but u would be on 3G.

Just a hunch.

I think u could, but u would be on 3G.

Just a hunch.

This is probably relevant. Verizon launches $80 prepaid plan with 1GB of data and unlimited talk / text, plus a prepaid MiFi hotspot | The Verge
    droidmyme likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for sharing this. I guess I would personally have 2 agree with the reviewer, who says it "costs a rather insane" price of 94.99 a mo for unlmtd talk & text and 1 GB data. Plus on top of that, you have the additonal option of 10GB of MiFi data for $90 a month, all total $185 + taxes.

I cant say for sure what demographic exactly Verizon is targeting with this plan. As for me, the Virgin Mobile unlimited plan is about half the price, plus you get 4, not 1, GB of 3G data. I know who my money will go to thank u very much!

Thanks for sharing this. I guess I would personally have 2 agree with the reviewer, who says it "costs a rather insane" price of 94.99 a mo for unlmtd talk & text and 1 GB data. Plus on top of that, you have the additonal option of 10GB of MiFi data for $90 a month, all total $185 + taxes.

I cant say for sure what demographic exactly Verizon is targeting with this plan. As for me, the Virgin Mobile unlimited plan is about half the price, plus you get 4, not 1, GB of 3G data. I know who my money will go to thank u very much!

Definitely!

The only issue I have seen with Virgin is that its horrible in buildings. My mom and brother use it and drop signal and break up all of the time while in a Target or Walmart. My Verizon phone works nearly everywhere. But for that price difference on prepaid, you would be nuts to pay Verizon that much!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

Global Posts
    525 Global Posts

Try Page Plus Cellular (Verizon Reseller) $55/month for Unlimited Talk, Text and 1 GB data. I've used them for prepaid - Verizon reseller, good customer service. If you're a heavy data user not sure what happens with overages.
    wifey5112 likes this.

anyone seeking to get android on verizon pp get at me

Really, the Verizon prepaid plans may be a little more expensive than lets say - Cricket or StraightTalk or Boost -- but honestly you are going to get the best service and reception on Verizon.

ALSO for that 64.99 talk n text, plus $30 data you still get UNLIMITED... which contract VZW customers have not received for a whole year now. so really for the same price you are getting more bang for your buck~!

Also, Verizon Prepaid will not work with 4G devices as of yet. I work at Verizon and it will not even let me put the phone onto the account, even though the device can still run on 3G. But when they do allow 4G devices on prepaid be expecting a price increase most likely!
    Banned

You had me at wallyworld

Sent from the Darkside of the Force

A smart phone cost $15 more to use the same service as a feature phone. Why?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2