AMOLED woes?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the Razr the other day when I switched over to Verizon and I'm about ready to take it back already because of the display. Well, it's going back anyway because it had a pixel stuck "on" the first day I had it. Question is, should I go with a different phone?

It wasn't until after noticing my problem that the Razr is known for having a green tint. In medium to bright light, I don't notice it (wish it was a brighter screen as well, but I digress). In dim/dark lighting, it's pretty bad. The more I dim my backlight, the worse the tinting effect is. I work mostly overnight shifts driving, so I also run a screen filter app to further dim the screen so there's no glare but can still see things like GPS. I set that app between 30-36% on top of backlight being dimmed depending on things like moon brightness.

On my last phone (LG Optimus S), the app worked great. On the Razr, it looks like someone set the tint level on a t.v. all the way green, then added another layer of green window tint over it. I've also noticed that with solid black screens like a pure black JPEG, you can see the screen is slightly lit on all brightness settings, with and without the filter as you would expect. Only there are also "blacker" splotches consisting of streaks around the outer edge of the screen and speckled over the central area. It doesn't show on colored or white screens, and ambient lighting has to be near zero to see the splotches.

So I guess my question is, is this actually normal for the AMOLED screens, or do I have a defect making the green tint over exaggerated (aside from the aforementioned stuck pixel of course). I do notice that when I change something like to a new web page, there will be a fraction of a second where the tint seems to go away. A white page actually looks white! I love the performance and cameras on this phone, so would like something similar. I've heard good things about the Rezound's screen being SLCD, and some AMOLED's with an actual white pixel. Any thoughts on that?