How much can I do with 5GB of data?

Deadly_Poison630

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I am planning on going with Verizon when my contract with Sprint ends. The plan I'm going for should include unlimited call & text with 5GB of data usage per month. My question is how much can I do with 5GB? I will mainly be using it for web surfing, checking e-mails, Facebook, downloading & playing games and an occasional YouTube video. No music or movie downloading. Whenever i'm at home i use WiFi. In hours, how much do you think that I will be able to do per month? Thanks :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am planning on going with Verizon when my contract with Sprint ends. The plan I'm going for should include unlimited call & text with 5GB of data usage per month. My question is how much can I do with 5GB? I will mainly be using it for web surfing, checking e-mails, Facebook, downloading & playing games and an occasional YouTube video. No music or movie downloading. Whenever i'm at home i use WiFi. In hours, how much do you think that I will be able to do per month? Thanks :)

What phone do you have now? Can you check your usage on your current phone?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless you are doing all that on your phone every minute of the day, I would bet that won't require 5GB. I do about the same and the only time I went over 2GB, that I remember, was a few months ago when I redownloaded all my apps on my phone multiple times in a month (rooted, different roms).

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
You probably won't use all 5GB. I'd start with 2GB (which is doubled to 4GB now) and change my plan if needed. I don't even use 5GB on my Droid Bionic and I am always using LTE.

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
5gb May be too much. I stream music about 2-3 hours a day 5 days a week. About 2-3 hours of internet a week and I would not hit 5gb.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Giving your usage and the fact that speeds are only reduced when data cap is reached I don't think you need 5 gigabytes to is more than sufficient could even go with 1 probably. I have a question for you. Why are you leaving Sprint what has happened with them you have been unsatisfactory with. Just curious I don't work for them or nothing I just have the service and I like it. Not the Jeep is still there are many cheaper options such as Boost Mobile and Sprint network works for you Cricket Wireless AT&T and mint Sim which is a prepaid T-Mobile gives you service 2 gigabytes a month for $22 if you pay Upfront for year. Keep in mind if you switch you will have to probably get a new phone unless you really need Verizon network look elsewhere there are the most expensive usually but not always. Also looks like Republic Wireless has good plans in the $30 range 2 gigabyte. Many options out there.

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
You can do turns with 5 gigabytes of data. Should be fine for most people. However I highly highly recommend not switching to anyone. I would keep Sprint if I was you unless you have a really good reason for not doing so. They are the best in an overall very honest phone company. If you're happy with the price you can also call retentions and they will help you. I switch to Sprint a little under a year ago and I am extremely happy with it. I can't stand it when people are in Verizon switching over to them from Sprint they don't realize if Sprint is the best. Or at least it has been for me what is your experience?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
You can do turns with 5 gigabytes of data. Should be fine for most people. However I highly highly recommend not switching to anyone. I would keep Sprint if I was you unless you have a really good reason for not doing so. They are the best in an overall very honest phone company. If you're happy with the price you can also call retentions and they will help you. I switch to Sprint a little under a year ago and I am extremely happy with it. I can't stand it when people are in Verizon switching over to them from Sprint they don't realize if Sprint is the best. Or at least it has been for me what is your experience?

In many areas Sprint's coverage is horrible. If you are in an area with good coverage good, but if you do lots of traveling, verizon is probably a better option. Not to mention gets better speeds in most areas also.

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
I hear you but that's not been my experience at all where I am at where I have travel to Sprint has been perfect. No problems cannot complain even had LTE in a few spots where T-Mobile had nothing. Overall I'm sure Nationwide is not equal but everywhere I've been I can't tell any difference. Maybe I just go to lots of good Sprint areas. And yes I do go to the country sometimes not always in a big huge City. Sometimes it dropped down to 3-g not in country but is not a very big deal for me. It is sufficient coverage for what I need and the price is definitely right.

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Also if I did have Horizon again every month my bill would be $30 to $40 more expensive. So yeah I think I'll keep what I've got. Even though that the exception of the only plan they don't seem to be lots of differences between Sprint and Verizon data plans. So they could do some price restructuring for example if you had one line with Verizon $55 is 5 gigabytes and was Sprint that saying $50 is three gigabytes so not much of an incentive there but was Sprint just $10 more $60 will give you unlimited so it all depends on your needs and usage. Still have to try to use very little data and get like a one gigabyte plan for $40. Most things are we doing data can wait until we get back home for wifi. Very little data is actually needed when traveling about through town and stuff. 1 gigabytes should be sufficient for most people. Just wait until later to watch that movie or video. Small Life Changes could save you a ton of money. Something to think about

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If course it is all about convenience. If you want to wait until you get home to do stuff then great. But it isn't worth it for me...

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Maybe it's a good idea to resurrect the VZ usage thread with all the changes in plans and some of the grandfathered unlimited ones getting tossed and restricted.

I had the real, true unlimited plan for years and used about 18gb to 50gb per month, depending on travel. I decided a number of years ago to upgrade home and business wifi to four channel higher speed. Using this plus decrease in travel, I took a $500.00 buyout offer from VZ to leave the unlimited plan.

Currently on their 7gb plus carryover for $50.00 a month. The home wifi is absorbing a lot of usage. Last month's data usage for me was 38gb. The 7gb+ plan works fine... with my 4 channel wifi.

One grind I have with VZ... they're offering Fla seniors over 55 a discounted unlimited plan. HOWEVER THEY DO NOT OFFER THIS TO OTHER STATES!

Hey VZ, this is b.s.! I've been, and many others too, a loyal customer for EIGHTEEN years with never missing a payment. How come we're not offered the same plan here in Colorado or other states! Really? Make it equitable throughout the U S.!!!

Bottom line, watch your data and plan accordingly.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is beta testing the plan is why.
Maybe it's a good idea to resurrect the VZ usage thread with all the changes in plans and some of the grandfathered unlimited ones getting tossed and restricted.

I had the real, true unlimited plan for years and used about 18gb to 50gb per month, depending on travel. I decided a number of years ago to upgrade home and business wifi to four channel higher speed. Using this plus decrease in travel, I took a $500.00 buyout offer from VZ to leave the unlimited plan.

Currently on their 7gb plus carryover for $50.00 a month. The home wifi is absorbing a lot of usage. Last month's data usage for me was 38gb. The 7gb+ plan works fine... with my 4 channel wifi.

One grind I have with VZ... they're offering Fla seniors over 55 a discounted unlimited plan. HOWEVER THEY DO NOT OFFER THIS TO OTHER STATES!

Hey VZ, this is b.s.! I've been, and many others too, a loyal customer for EIGHTEEN years with never missing a payment. How come we're not offered the same plan here in Colorado or other states! Really? Make it equitable throughout the U S.!!!

Bottom line, watch your data and plan accordingly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084