Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Deadly_Poison630
  • 1 Post By kulkaholic
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Stock Rooted

Default How much can I do with 5GB of data?

I am planning on going with Verizon when my contract with Sprint ends. The plan I'm going for should include unlimited call & text with 5GB of data usage per month. My question is how much can I do with 5GB? I will mainly be using it for web surfing, checking e-mails, Facebook, downloading & playing games and an occasional YouTube video. No music or movie downloading. Whenever i'm at home i use WiFi. In hours, how much do you think that I will be able to do per month? Thanks
    pcsperson likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How much can I do with 5GB of data?

Sounds like you wouldn't even need 5GB then. But you would be able to do up to 5GB of funness.
    Ry

Global Posts
    14,612 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TreyTrey619 View Post
    I am planning on going with Verizon when my contract with Sprint ends. The plan I'm going for should include unlimited call & text with 5GB of data usage per month. My question is how much can I do with 5GB? I will mainly be using it for web surfing, checking e-mails, Facebook, downloading & playing games and an occasional YouTube video. No music or movie downloading. Whenever i'm at home i use WiFi. In hours, how much do you think that I will be able to do per month? Thanks
    What phone do you have now? Can you check your usage on your current phone?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you are doing all that on your phone every minute of the day, I would bet that won't require 5GB. I do about the same and the only time I went over 2GB, that I remember, was a few months ago when I redownloaded all my apps on my phone multiple times in a month (rooted, different roms).

Global Posts
    1,707 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You probably won't use all 5GB. I'd start with 2GB (which is doubled to 4GB now) and change my plan if needed. I don't even use 5GB on my Droid Bionic and I am always using LTE.

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5gb May be too much. I stream music about 2-3 hours a day 5 days a week. About 2-3 hours of internet a week and I would not hit 5gb.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums
    benjamminh likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you live stream or Skype calls for 2 weeks 10 hours a day you will deplete 5gb of data I know I did it last Month

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giving your usage and the fact that speeds are only reduced when data cap is reached I don't think you need 5 gigabytes to is more than sufficient could even go with 1 probably. I have a question for you. Why are you leaving Sprint what has happened with them you have been unsatisfactory with. Just curious I don't work for them or nothing I just have the service and I like it. Not the Jeep is still there are many cheaper options such as Boost Mobile and Sprint network works for you Cricket Wireless AT&T and mint Sim which is a prepaid T-Mobile gives you service 2 gigabytes a month for $22 if you pay Upfront for year. Keep in mind if you switch you will have to probably get a new phone unless you really need Verizon network look elsewhere there are the most expensive usually but not always. Also looks like Republic Wireless has good plans in the $30 range 2 gigabyte. Many options out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops sorry I just noticed at all this post was sorry about that. Didn't even check the date before I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can do turns with 5 gigabytes of data. Should be fine for most people. However I highly highly recommend not switching to anyone. I would keep Sprint if I was you unless you have a really good reason for not doing so. They are the best in an overall very honest phone company. If you're happy with the price you can also call retentions and they will help you. I switch to Sprint a little under a year ago and I am extremely happy with it. I can't stand it when people are in Verizon switching over to them from Sprint they don't realize if Sprint is the best. Or at least it has been for me what is your experience?

Global Posts
    7,138 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cell adviser View Post
    You can do turns with 5 gigabytes of data. Should be fine for most people. However I highly highly recommend not switching to anyone. I would keep Sprint if I was you unless you have a really good reason for not doing so. They are the best in an overall very honest phone company. If you're happy with the price you can also call retentions and they will help you. I switch to Sprint a little under a year ago and I am extremely happy with it. I can't stand it when people are in Verizon switching over to them from Sprint they don't realize if Sprint is the best. Or at least it has been for me what is your experience?
    In many areas Sprint's coverage is horrible. If you are in an area with good coverage good, but if you do lots of traveling, verizon is probably a better option. Not to mention gets better speeds in most areas also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you but that's not been my experience at all where I am at where I have travel to Sprint has been perfect. No problems cannot complain even had LTE in a few spots where T-Mobile had nothing. Overall I'm sure Nationwide is not equal but everywhere I've been I can't tell any difference. Maybe I just go to lots of good Sprint areas. And yes I do go to the country sometimes not always in a big huge City. Sometimes it dropped down to 3-g not in country but is not a very big deal for me. It is sufficient coverage for what I need and the price is definitely right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also if I did have Horizon again every month my bill would be $30 to $40 more expensive. So yeah I think I'll keep what I've got. Even though that the exception of the only plan they don't seem to be lots of differences between Sprint and Verizon data plans. So they could do some price restructuring for example if you had one line with Verizon $55 is 5 gigabytes and was Sprint that saying $50 is three gigabytes so not much of an incentive there but was Sprint just $10 more $60 will give you unlimited so it all depends on your needs and usage. Still have to try to use very little data and get like a one gigabyte plan for $40. Most things are we doing data can wait until we get back home for wifi. Very little data is actually needed when traveling about through town and stuff. 1 gigabytes should be sufficient for most people. Just wait until later to watch that movie or video. Small Life Changes could save you a ton of money. Something to think about

Global Posts
    24,802 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If course it is all about convenience. If you want to wait until you get home to do stuff then great. But it isn't worth it for me...