Motorola import ban

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Was just reading and according to Engadget the ITC is preparing to block the import of some Motorola devices due to an earlier ruling of patent infringement on Microsoft patents. Makes me wonder who is next.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

docgoat1987

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
First it was htc with apple now motorola wuth microsoft whats next samsung with both microcrap and crapple stoppung them at the border this is gettin redonkulus

sent from Sprint HTC Evo Design 4G

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I guess I could always go back to my trusty old Motorola MicroTac/650e with the old 6v nickel-metal hydride battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Just remember, complain to your congressmen and senators about the state of the patent system and the overly broad power granted to the ITC. The patent system is broken by allowing these overly broad software patents. Microsoft and Apple are just abusing the system... fix the system and this won't be a problem anymore.

I don't mind the concept of patents. However, the purpose of it was not to eliminate competitive products... you can patent a design for a vacuum cleaner, but not a concept of a device that sucks up dirt. That's just a random example... I'm sure there are better ones out there.

Another alternative would be to start manufacturing smartphones in the USA... then customers and the ITC won't be a concern at all. Wishful thinking, I know...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just remember, complain to your congressmen and senators about the state of the patent system and the overly broad power granted to the ITC. The patent system is broken by allowing these overly broad software patents. Microsoft and Apple are just abusing the system... fix the system and this won't be a problem anymore.

I don't mind the concept of patents. However, the purpose of it was not to eliminate competitive products... you can patent a design for a vacuum cleaner, but not a concept of a device that sucks up dirt. That's just a random example... I'm sure there are better ones out there.

Another alternative would be to start manufacturing smartphones in the USA... then customers and the ITC won't be a concern at all. Wishful thinking, I know...

I'm pretty sure the ITC would be able to stop the sale of products found to be violating a patent, regardless if it was built in the US.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
First it was htc with apple now motorola wuth microsoft whats next samsung with both microcrap and crapple stoppung them at the border this is gettin redonkulus

sent from Sprint HTC Evo Design 4G

Didn't Apple have to disable push services for iCloud in Germany because Apple is violating a Motorola patent in Germany? Damn those guys at Motorola Germany!

Apple and Microsoft have every right to defend valid patents.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Didn't Apple have to disable push services for iCloud in Germany because Apple is violating a Motorola patent in Germany? Damn those guys at Motorola Germany!

Apple and Microsoft have every right to defend valid patents.

yes but most of those patents shouldn't be patents in the 1st place.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
yes but most of those patents shouldn't be patents in the 1st place.

What I'm understanding from reading up on the current issue that's could block Motorola devices in the US is that Motorola took a chance in fighting something that Samsung, HTC, and LG already license from Microsoft. Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding the current case.

When three other manufacturers are licensing it, it kind of makes it hard to win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC