The end is near, prepare to get throttled.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It does not matter if you have a 3g device or a 4g device, you will not have unlimited for long. Yes sir, that has never had bearing on your data usage. As we move to capped data, those that try their best to skate the system will find themselves handicapped by throttled data. So while you upgrade, and bite rope to hang on to that unlimited plan, you will notice your data speeds slowed down so much, you will wish you had a tiered plan.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I just think it is funny how people think that 3g, 4g, and their position with their devices ensure unlimited data. Data isn't tihs when it is throttled. Where do people think that they get 100gigs for 29.99 in their "unlimited plans," folly!

Reactions: Sting23ray

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
you will only be throttled if you use like 5 gb or more a month. And I'm pretty sure there's a mod that removes the throttle if you ate rooted, at least there was on my droid x.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS!!! ;)

Reactions: Johnly

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
The universe only came with one electromagnetic spectrum and we are all sharing it on mobile phones. As use grows and more people have phones it was going to become inevitable, at least until the cell radius shrinks enough that the average user count per cell is something more reasonable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify, Verizon does NOT throttle LTE. See below for specifics:

Network Optimization

Only a small percent of customers will be affected. To be affected, you must be:

•A data customer on an unlimited data plan;
•Have a 3G Verizon Wireless device (if you have a 4G LTE device you will not be impacted); and
•Among the top 5% of data users in a given month.
Then, you will only be affected:

•When you are on the 3G network; and
•When you are connected to a congested cell site.

Reactions: Johnly and Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, Verizon does NOT throttle LTE. See below for specifics:

Network Optimization

I suspect Verizon will change that disclosure when they decide to throttle 4G LTE devices.

But as it stands right now, there is no evidence that they do this currently.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Wontfinishlast

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I suspect Verizon will change that disclosure when they decide to throttle 4G LTE devices.

But as it stands right now, there is no evidence that they do this currently.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

I can't remember where I read it, but I believe they agreed on terms with their lte spectrum purchase that legally they can't throttle data. Which means they have to go to capped data to weed out the data hogs.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't remember where I read it, but I believe they agreed on terms with their lte spectrum purchase that legally they can't throttle data. Which means they have to go to capped data to weed out the data hogs.

You mean like they agreed not to lock bootloaders?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

if that's the case then fine. But if your grandfathered they could at least set a cap, like 15-20 gb a month. I can't see more than %10 of unlimited users using more than that. Hell I don't have internet at home right now and still only use 6 gb a month. Once I hit 11. But after the cap you could either pay a "small fee" to keep going or get throttled back to .5 or 1 mbps.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I think that's part of the problem. Some people actually canceled their home Internet and piggybacked on their phone's service. That was never the intent of unlimited data and those people ruined it for everyone.

It's difficult to use tons of data on just your phone. Now using it to connect your home computer is a different story.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think that's part of the problem. Some people actually canceled their home Internet and piggybacked on their phone's service. That was never the intent of unlimited data and those people ruined it for everyone.

It's difficult to use tons of data on just your phone. Now using it to connect your home computer is a different story.

True. However, I do hit between 7-10 gb per month. I will stream Google music about 45 minutes per day and use about 25 minutes a day streaming various video (netflix, MLBtv, nhl, sling). As we move to more and more cloud services it is inevitable that we are going to use more data.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
True. However, I do hit between 7-10 gb per month. I will stream Google music about 45 minutes per day and use about 25 minutes a day streaming various video (netflix, MLBtv, nhl, sling). As we move to more and more cloud services it is inevitable that we are going to use more data.

By fine design, right? Will trying to grasp a unlimited date plan for years to come defeat Verizon's ability to throttle? 3G gets hit, Will they leave 4G composers alone for years? No, and those that say 4G will stay the course for some time are drinking cheep koolaid. Sad to be those folks. Let us realist get prepared NOW!

Yes, I said composers....or posers......

tperry

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
By fine design, right? Will trying to grasp a unlimited date plan for years to come defeat Verizon's ability to throttle? 3G gets hit, Will they leave 4G composers alone for years? No, and those that say 4G will stay the course for some time are drinking cheep koolaid. Sad to be those folks. Let us realist get prepared NOW!

Yes, I said composers....or posers......

Part of their granting of the spectrum by the federal government does not allow them to place any restrictions on said spectrum, has something to do with the fact that it was "public" spectrum to begin with. 3G was, and is, an entirely different animal. :D

TAPped in on my RAZR MAXX

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I am going to start using my magic eight ball to fogure out what the providers are going to do going forward. It's better than actually trying to logically figure out whats going to happen in the next 4-5 years.

Heck we may even see some providers price themselves out of business. At this point they will do what they want and the only way we can get them to really do something that we like is to switch providers or just cancel our service when the contract runs out.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463