Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default VZW in-store charges for ESN Swap/SIM Card

As a test, I stoppped into a VZW store yesterday to switch from one 4G phone to a GNEX I picked up on eBay. They grilled me about where I got the phone, they wanted to charge me $15 to switch from one phone to the other, plus they wanted to charge me $10 for the micro SIM card. I said no thanks and left.

I did the switch online for free and got the SIM card shipped for free as well. I knew I could do it for free online, I just wanted to see what would happen in the store...now I know. I mentioned that I could do it free online, and the CS rep said they charge for everything now in the stores because of the economy! Thought I would share this with you.

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBean 4.1

That's insane! Pretty bad the CS rep said that about the stores.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

Default Re: VZW in-store charges for ESN Swap/SIM Card

That's not true. There has always been a charge for ESN changes at stores or over the phone, they got waived or never charged 99% of the time. The 4 years I was there I only charged the fee once because the guy was being an ahole. Besides in this economy, Verizon isn't the one that's hurting.
    olddawg likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Mario View Post
    That's not true. There has always been a charge for ESN changes at stores or over the phone, they got waived or never charged 99% of the time. The 4 years I was there I only charged the fee once because the guy was being an ahole. Besides in this economy, Verizon isn't the one that's hurting.
    Are you saying I was being an a-hole?

Just kidding. I was as nice as could be, but I said the same thing to the CS Rep, that the economy was hurting me more than a multi-billion dollar corporation like Verizon. She just laughed and said have a nice day. I've never tried to do a switch in-store, so I had no idea what, if any charges there would be. I just really got a kick out of her attitude and the economy comment.
    Thanked by:
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lpt2569 View Post
    Are you saying I was being an a-hole?

Just kidding. I was as nice as could be, but I said the same thing to the CS Rep, that the economy was hurting me more than a multi-billion dollar corporation like Verizon. She just laughed and said have a nice day. I've never tried to do a switch in-store, so I had no idea what, if any charges there would be. I just really got a kick out of her attitude and the economy comment.
    reps don't have to waive fees. But cool story, bro.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    reps don't have to waive fees. But cool story, bro.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Yep, wasn't expecting them to waive the fees. As I said, I had no idea what to expect, just was curious for the most part. Since I didn't get the phone from them, I totally understand them trying to get some cash out of me, but still, I am not going to pay $25 for something I can do for free online.

And how is it that they are willing to do the switch for free online, but not in the stores? Seems kinda strange to me, just saying...

And how is it that they are willing to do the switch for free online, but not in the stores? Seems kinda strange to me, just saying...
    Their "justification" is that you are taking up a salesperson's time to do it, when they have low-wage drones in warehouses to do that kind of stuff. A salesperson could have sold a $200+ subsidized phone in the time it would take them to do your simple switch.

The reality of it, is that I would have spent more time grilling THEM asking why they wanted to charge me, a paying customer, simply to switch my phone, when it's their company that made making the switch so complicated. End result would be, whether or not they charged me, I'd have taken considerably more of their time than if they had just done it for free at the start. I could understand if they did something like 1 or 2 switches per year for free, but every time...that's a little ridiculous.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by glazedfaith View Post
    Their "justification" is that you are taking up a salesperson's time to do it, when they have low-wage drones in warehouses to do that kind of stuff. A salesperson could have sold a $200+ subsidized phone in the time it would take them to do your simple switch.
    Oh I get that, but poor customer service is such an incredible turn-off for me. The customer service at these companies (and cable tv companies too I've noticed) has really gone down hill in my opinion (no big revelation there, it's been going down hill for years, I know).

No wonder people like me stay away from the stores! I do as much shopping, etc online as possible. It's sad really.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

This is why I love GSM companies! Plus ATT had to give me a new card in store just the other day and it didnt cost me anything! They even made sure my phone worked. (One that I brought and didn't buy from them.) CS is one of the reasons why I stayed away from Verizon when I was looking to switch from Sprint this past month.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I hear ya. I'm contemplating making a carrier switch at the end of my current contract this fall. It's funny how I hear different cs stories about all of the carriers. I've heard nothing but good things about Sprint from folks I know who use them. And I've heard nightmare stories about AT&T and VZW. I actually had a great cs experience with Verizon at the beginning of my current contract, but since then it's been pretty awful.

I've have nothing but good things to say about Verizon customer service over the phone. In the store, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by glazedfaith View Post

The reality of it, is that I would have spent more time grilling THEM asking why they wanted to charge me, a paying customer, simply to switch my phone, when it's their company that made making the switch so complicated.
    What do you find so complicated about doing an esn change over our website? It is incredible how hard customers find such simple tasks. We get calls all the time for people wanting to do things like this, or adding features, and it's so unbelievably simple, it's sickening. My wife was recently coming home from Chicago and needed the hotspot feature added. It didn't even take me 3 minutes to have that done on our website, while most customers spend at least that time waiting for a rep to help them on the phone. Unbelievable. Even more unbelievable that customers can't follow simple phone prompts to get where they need to go.

I used to work at store level, and I truly believe in what they charge customers. If you are going to waste your time driving to a store for something ridiculous like that, you should be charged.

Another great example: a customer just called me and wanted to know if he had navigation on his phone. I asked if he knew he could simply look that up on our website without calling in and he said no. Unbelievable.
    olddawg likes this.

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wireless Vet View Post
    What do you find so complicated about doing an esn change over our website? It is incredible how hard customers find such simple tasks. We get calls all the time for people wanting to do things like this, or adding features, and it's so unbelievably simple, it's sickening. My wife was recently coming home from Chicago and needed the hotspot feature added. It didn't even take me 3 minutes to have that done on our website, while most customers spend at least that time waiting for a rep to help them on the phone. Unbelievable. Even more unbelievable that customers can't follow simple phone prompts to get where they need to go.

I used to work at store level, and I truly believe in what they charge customers. If you are going to waste your time driving to a store for something ridiculous like that, you should be charged.

Another great example: a customer just called me and wanted to know if he had navigation on his phone. I asked if he knew he could simply look that up on our website without calling in and he said no. Unbelievable.
    Not so easy. As an example, wifes MAXX screen decided to take a dump and not come on. Went to activate her TB and it couldn't online. Call tech support and learn that its SIM invalidates itself when deactivated for more than a few days. Activated my old X for her online. The CLN shows up and go to activate it, won't activate online and I have to call tech support again to have them do it. Generally I do it (the old 3G devices online) but apparently the 4G devices can be quirky. :rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

As a test, I stoppped into a VZW store yesterday to switch from one 4G phone to a GNEX I picked up on eBay. They grilled me about where I got the phone, they wanted to charge me $15 to switch from one phone to the other, plus they wanted to charge me $10 for the micro SIM card. I said no thanks and left.

I did the switch online for free and got the SIM card shipped for free as well. I knew I could do it for free online, I just wanted to see what would happen in the store...now I know. I mentioned that I could do it free online, and the CS rep said they charge for everything now in the stores because of the economy! Thought I would share this with you.
    You should be very proud of yourself.........
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

You should be very proud of yourself.........
    What's your point?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

What's your point?

I think that question is best answered by you: I certainly know that I don't spend my free time going in to businesses to see what they will and won't do for me.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I think that question is best answered by you: I certainly know that I don't spend my free time going in to businesses to see what they will and won't do for me.
    Wow. OK. I stopped by the store which is on my way home, hoping for knowledgeable, helpful, courteous staff. I got none of that. As I mentioned in my original post I was not aware of what they might charge. I was willing to pay but the attitude turned me off. I've been in customer service for over twenty years in some aspect or another, from working the floor to management. To disrespect the customer in any way is wrong, and unprofessional, regardless of what you think of their request. It is attitudes like yours that has made Amazon and all the other online shopping sites so successful. I am not a scheming d-bag trying to make anyone look bad. I pay nearly $200 per month for my vzw account...I expect professionalism, which a lot of cs reps are lacking with the attitude that customers are idiots and deserve to pay for something just for asking because they are unaware of the options. My post is to point out to people, like you were trying to do, the esn swap can be done free online, and it will cost you in the store most likely. Simply pointing out the options, which is not my job to do.

Thanked by 2:
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,236 Global Posts

Curious, what did you not like about her attitude? From what I've read in this thread, it seems like you think she had an attitude because she was asking you where you got the phone and that she wanted to charge you for the services you were asking for.

What was so wrong about her asking about where you got the phone? Maybe she was trying to make a conversation with you. Maybe she was trying to see if you got the phone from a place like Craigslist, where a bad ESN could make whatever phone you brought in worthless.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,128 Global Posts

was this a corporate store or indirect agent?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I had no problem with them questioning me about the phone or with the fees. The attitude I got was immediately dismissive, a lot of huffing and puffing, and zero professionalism during the entire encounter. There were only two other customers in the store, and four reps...I was hardly wasting their time. And as a veteran of the CS industry, every customer should be treated as if they are the only person you are aware of, and that each person could be the CEO.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by brandonx1000 View Post
    was this a corporate store or indirect agent?
    Corporate.

Wow. OK. I stopped by the store which is on my way home, hoping for knowledgeable, helpful, courteous staff.

You clearly said you went in to "test". The reps I'm sure could tell you were "testing".

Here's a helpful hint. It's the 21st century. Anything that can be done in any store can be done online.

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    ROM
    GPE 4.4.2 TiKTaC ROM

I just recently upgraded from a Droid X to my current Droid Razr that I purchased used from a friend. Because he kept the sim card for his Razr Maxx, I went into the store to get a new card and get it activated. The CS Rep was very nice and did ask where I got the phone, when I told her I bought it from a friend she had no issues at all. She was friendly and we even chatted about the phone since she was using the same one. I was not informed about any fees at all, and would have gladly paid them. As some others have said your holding up a sales person who could be selling products. I'm sure they are paid a % of commission from sales, so it was not beneficial for her not to charge me something.

But the moral of my story is that I was not charged, I was not informed about a charge, and I was not given any grief about bringing the used phone into the store. It was a very easy process and I would do it again the same way. I'm in a CS industry, and I like the interaction of a real person helping me with my issues.
    | 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
    | 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
    | Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.13 |
    Thanked by 2:
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

You clearly said you went in to "test". The reps I'm sure could tell you were "testing".

Here's a helpful hint. It's the 21st century. Anything that can be done in any store can be done online.
    Yes that's brilliant. Another perfect example of great customer service. Perhaps that should be the new slogan for all the carriers..."Hey dumba$s...anything I can do here in the store you can do online. Oh wait...then I won't have a job. Oh well you're still stupid for coming in here to get some service." :what:

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by Ahowe125 View Post
    I just recently upgraded from a Droid X to my current Droid Razr that I purchased used from a friend. Because he kept the sim card for his Razr Maxx, I went into the store to get a new card and get it activated. The CS Rep was very nice and did ask where I got the phone, when I told her I bought it from a friend she had no issues at all. She was friendly and we even chatted about the phone since she was using the same one. I was not informed about any fees at all, and would have gladly paid them. As some others have said your holding up a sales person who could be selling products. I'm sure they are paid a % of commission from sales, so it was not beneficial for her not to charge me something.

But the moral of my story is that I was not charged, I was not informed about a charge, and I was not given any grief about bringing the used phone into the store. It was a very easy process and I would do it again the same way. I'm in a CS industry, and I like the interaction of a real person helping me with my issues.
    That's how an interaction in the store should go. I'm glad you had a good experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast