Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    p1d

Default Overheard from a Verizon Rep

I've got an unlimited data plan and a scheduled upgrade coming at the end of July. I'm looking to score a Galaxy S3 but fear that waiting for my upgrade will be too late to keep the unlimited data.

So, I called Verizon, and the rep explains a loophole where I can call Verizon 30 days in advance of my upgrade date and get a 'manager approved' early upgrade. However, they do not allow upgrades to iPhones or as he put it 'iconic' devices such as the S3. So, I am supposed to select another 3G phone at the upgrade price with unlimited data intact, then return said 3G phone to a Verizon store within the 14 day window and request a replacement device (i.e. the S3).

While there are many hoops, in theory this sounds like it would work. Has anyone else tried this?

Of course, this could all be moot if Verizon does not switch to the shared data plan before the end of July.

not sure if this is relevant here but I just upgraded this week from a droid x to the razr maxx. I asked for an early upgrade and was granted one with supervisors approval (my upgrade date was 9/17/12). She was trying to get my to take the iphone but did say that the s3 was not an option. Also said to make sure on my verizon online that my unlimited data was still on my acct, if not call immediately. After 14 days of activating it will be gone forever and forced into tiered data

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by clownin72 View Post
    not sure if this is relevant here but I just upgraded this week from a droid x to the razr maxx. I asked for an early upgrade and was granted one with supervisors approval (my upgrade date was 9/17/12). She was trying to get my to take the iphone but did say that the s3 was not an option. Also said to make sure on my verizon online that my unlimited data was still on my acct, if not call immediately. After 14 days of activating it will be gone forever and forced into tiered data

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums
    What phone you upgraded from? How many lines you have on your acct?

It seems they grant early upgrades more often to those coming from 3G phone and those with 3 or more lines on their acct.

Those currently with a first generation 4g phone in an individual plan are assed out.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    p1d

Default Re: Overheard from a Verizon Rep

The game has changed now, 6/28 is the date of the shared data plan AND the earliest possible day I could get my upgrade.

Think I might have to bite bullet and go full retail for the S3

Im also thinking about full retail and pay it off little by little over 6-8 months

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by p1d View Post
    The game has changed now, 6/28 is the date of the shared data plan AND the earliest possible day I could get my upgrade.

Think I might have to bite bullet and go full retail for the S3
    Figures that Verizon would allow an early upgrade but only after the new plans go into effect. In other words, a big "screw you" (you know what I really wanted to say).

Quote Originally Posted by p1d View Post
    I've got an unlimited data plan and a scheduled upgrade coming at the end of July. I'm looking to score a Galaxy S3 but fear that waiting for my upgrade will be too late to keep the unlimited data.

So, I called Verizon, and the rep explains a loophole where I can call Verizon 30 days in advance of my upgrade date and get a 'manager approved' early upgrade. However, they do not allow upgrades to iPhones or as he put it 'iconic' devices such as the S3. So, I am supposed to select another 3G phone at the upgrade price with unlimited data intact, then return said 3G phone to a Verizon store within the 14 day window and request a replacement device (i.e. the S3).

While there are many hoops, in theory this sounds like it would work. Has anyone else tried this?

Of course, this could all be moot if Verizon does not switch to the shared data plan before the end of July.
    I did exactly this, but it was a couple of weeks ago. I pestered verizon customer service about 3 time to get an early upgrade (I was due in July). I had ordered a galaxy nexus, but shortly after it arrived I saw that they were taking preorders for the SG3. It was the same price as the nexus was for me, so I called back and did an exchange. Long story short, I got an early upgrade, returned the phone and got a preorder for the SG3.

Also, I'm not sure, but I may have also avoided the $30 upgrade fee (guess it depends if I get a full refund on the gnex).

Do you think that would work, cause I would surely do this if they don't turn my phone off for being late.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums