Unlimited text, limited data, and Google Voice

calvingarner

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering....

If you use Google Voice and have to change to the new plan, how many of you would stop using Google Voice, given that it uses data and texts would now be unlimited?

Yes it sucks, btw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think about Google Voice using data and texting now being unlimited.

I don't do a ton of texting, and frankly a larger percentage of it is done on the PC, but this is a concern. I use Google Voice for work, and my regular number for personal.

I am going to keep my plan I have now. We don't go over or allotted minutes or text messages, and we don't use a ton of data, but I see data being a bigger that down the road.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering....

If you use Google Voice and have to change to the new plan, how many of you would stop using Google Voice, given that it uses data and texts would now be unlimited?

Yes it sucks, btw.

The data used by Google Voice for texts is probably minimal.

If you use Google Voice for voice calls, it doesn't use data for the actual call. Google Voice uses call routing. It'll actually be better to use it with unlimited calling that the new Share Everything plan comes with.

As far as I know, Google Voice only uses VoIP when you make calls through Gmail on the desktop.

calvingarner

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
The data used by Google Voice for texts is probably minimal.

If you use Google Voice for voice calls, it doesn't use data for the actual call. Google Voice uses call routing. It'll actually be better to use it with unlimited calling that the new Share Everything plan comes with.

As far as I know, Google Voice only uses VoIP when you make calls through Gmail on the desktop.

Good point there.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I only use GV for texting. If unlimited text messaging is shoved down my throat at any point, I will have no reason to use GV anymore. At least I wont have to confuse most people now by telling them to text me at a different number and get random text messaging charges when people forget.