Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unlimited text, limited data, and Google Voice

Just wondering....

If you use Google Voice and have to change to the new plan, how many of you would stop using Google Voice, given that it uses data and texts would now be unlimited?

Yes it sucks, btw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,720 Global Posts

I didn't think about Google Voice using data and texting now being unlimited.

I don't do a ton of texting, and frankly a larger percentage of it is done on the PC, but this is a concern. I use Google Voice for work, and my regular number for personal.

I am going to keep my plan I have now. We don't go over or allotted minutes or text messages, and we don't use a ton of data, but I see data being a bigger that down the road.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

Default Re: Unlimited text, limited data, and Google Voice

Quote Originally Posted by calvingarner View Post
    Just wondering....

If you use Google Voice and have to change to the new plan, how many of you would stop using Google Voice, given that it uses data and texts would now be unlimited?

Yes it sucks, btw.

The data used by Google Voice for texts is probably minimal.

If you use Google Voice for voice calls, it doesn't use data for the actual call. Google Voice uses call routing. It'll actually be better to use it with unlimited calling that the new Share Everything plan comes with.

As far as I know, Google Voice only uses VoIP when you make calls through Gmail on the desktop.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    The data used by Google Voice for texts is probably minimal.

If you use Google Voice for voice calls, it doesn't use data for the actual call. Google Voice uses call routing. It'll actually be better to use it with unlimited calling that the new Share Everything plan comes with.

As far as I know, Google Voice only uses VoIP when you make calls through Gmail on the desktop.
    Good point there.

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Default Re: Unlimited text, limited data, and Google Voice

I only use GV for texting. If unlimited text messaging is shoved down my throat at any point, I will have no reason to use GV anymore. At least I wont have to confuse most people now by telling them to text me at a different number and get random text messaging charges when people forget.