The Grass Is Always Greener: Switching to AT&T

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Let's start some scenarios for those possibly looking at leaving Verizon because of the loss of unlimited data (not including the cost of the devices and any prorated first month charges).

Unlimited talk and text on 2 smartphones with 6GB of total data bandwidth -

AT&T Individual

Smartphone 1
Unlimited voice: $60
Unlimited text: $20
3GB of data: $30

Smartphone 2
Unlimited voice: $60
Unlimited text: $20
3GB of data: $30

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $220

AT&T Family

Smartphone 1 and 2 unlimited voice: $120
Smartphone 1 and 2 unlimited text: $30
Smartphone 1 3GB of data: $30
Smartphone 2 3GB of data: $30

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $210

Verizon Share Everything -

Smartphone 1 (unlimited voice/texts): $40
Smartphone 2 (unlimited voice/texts): $40
Shared 6GB of data: $80

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $160

Closest way I found to get closer to $160 was to go with the AT&T Family plan with just 550 minutes.

AT&T Family

Smartphone 1 and 2 550 voice (with Rollover): $60
Smartphone 1 and 2 unlimited text: $30
Smartphone 1 3GB of data: $30
Smartphone 2 3GB of data: $30

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $150

Conclusion on this example: you can make AT&T work for you if you stay at the 550 minute plan. Most here don't use voice so you can build up a nice cache of Rollover minutes just in case.

I purposely didn't go with the 300MB data plan at $20 since 300MB is probably dangerous for most to have. The 3GB plan at $30 just makes much more sense.

The Verizon Share Everything plan would work out if one line uses way more data then the other.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow, att now? You're really pissed at verizon aren't you? Trust me, you consider everything.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow, att now? You're really pissed at verizon aren't you? Trust me, you consider everything.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Personally, I don't see myself moving but with people starting threads like this, there are those on here thinking about it.

I started this thread so people can start thinking about what they'd be getting into, price-wise, if they plan on switching.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for doing these comparisons, it's a great way for folks to get a snapshot of what else is out there.

For me, a switch to the share plans with VZW will actually be a small price decrease, I think, if I am doing my math correctly and reading the plans correctly. :confused:

So I'm fine with it, and can't imaging leaving the infrastructure VZW has in place for anything else out there right now.

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Att will have family data plans by the end of summer. Would have to wait till then to do a true comparison.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Just a reminder. With the 550 at&t plan you don't get unlimited calling to any mobile with unlimited texting. Just on the 700 minute or higher plans.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just a reminder. With the 550 at&t plan you don't get unlimited calling to any mobile with unlimited texting. Just on the 700 minute or higher plans.

Are you sure?

OV3Ah.jpg

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering it, only because AT&T would be only a bit more expensive for me, and I get a higher discount from them. Since I will be forced onto Verizon's new plans soon, I'd prefer the devil I know (AT&T) than the one I don't. (Verizon, since who knows what other changes they'll make)

Not even remotely sure yet what I'll do. Part of me wants to switch out of principle, since Verizon is being a bunch of dicks about pricing now.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering it, only because AT&T would be only a bit more expensive for me, and I get a higher discount from them. Since I will be forced onto Verizon's new plans soon, I'd prefer the devil I know (AT&T) than the one I don't. (Verizon, since who knows what other changes they'll make)

Not even remotely sure yet what I'll do. Part of me wants to switch out of principle, since Verizon is being a bunch of dicks about pricing now.

How will you be forced? :)