Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Joe the Insider
  • 1 Post By pauldroidr2d2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

Default The Grass Is Always Greener: Switching to T-Mobile

Let's start some scenarios for those possibly looking at leaving Verizon because of the loss of unlimited data (not including the cost of the devices and any prorated first month charges).

T-Mobile still features unlimited data access, but throttles after a certain point.

Unlimited talk and text on 2 smartphones with 10GB of total data bandwidth -

T-Mobile Individual

Smartphone 1
    Unlimited voice/text: $60
    Unlimited data (throttled after 5GB): $35

Smartphone 2
    Unlimited voice/text: $60
    Unlimited data (throttled after 5GB): $35

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $190

T-Mobile Family

Smartphone 1 and 2 unlimited voice/text: $100
    Smartphone 1 Unlimited data (throttled after 5GB): $35
    Smartphone 2 Unlimited data (throttled after 5GB): $35

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $170

Verizon Share Everything -

Smartphone 1 (unlimited voice/texts): $40
    Smartphone 2 (unlimited voice/texts): $40
    Shared 10GB of data: $100

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $180

You can shrink the bill a bit if you go with the Classic 1000 Talk/Text plan.

T-Mobile Family

Smartphone 1 and 2 1000 voice/unlimited text: $80

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $150

Conclusion on this example: you can go even cheaper if you opt to go with a 2GB limit on unthrottled data but then again, users here would probably go over that. You won't get hit with overages but your speeds will slow down.

Another option would be to go with their no-contract Value plans so that you won't be locked into a contract, but you'd have to buy your phone outright.
    Thanked by:

Verizons lte is superior to any other carriers out there and so is their service and coverage. I'm over unlimited and I think others need to realize that. I would never go 2 a joke of a network like t mobile, because of a few bucks and unlimited. T mobile won't be around in the next 5 yrs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

Default Re: The Grass Is Always Greener: Switching to T-Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Insider View Post
    Verizons lte is superior to any other carriers out there and so is their service and coverage. I'm over unlimited and I think others need to realize that. I would never go 2 a joke of a network like t mobile, because of a few bucks and unlimited. T mobile won't be around in the next 5 yrs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    While Verizon may be best overall according to surveys, other carriers may work as well if not better for specific customers.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

T-Mobile Month to Month: Unlimited Texts, 5GB Data (throttled after), and 100 voice minutes. $30 a month.

2 phones on this plan: $60 a month. You want unlimited voice too? Prepaid unlimited. $100 for two lines.

Yes, verizon has a massive coverage advantage. But I'm willing to give Tmobile a try. My sim should be here next week.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Bauman View Post
    T-Mobile Month to Month: Unlimited Texts, 5GB Data (throttled after), and 100 voice minutes. $30 a month.

2 phones on this plan: $60 a month. You want unlimited voice too? Prepaid unlimited. $100 for two lines.

Yes, verizon has a massive coverage advantage. But I'm willing to give Tmobile a try. My sim should be here next week.
    Biggest problem with T-mobile is consistency. I'm in a very good coverage area for them, and nothing is consistent about the experience. One place I could get 12 mbps down, and another I could barely break 1. It REALLY depends on your area.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Bauman View Post

I might do a test of T-Mobile's network here in a few weeks too. Haven't really heard of too many complaints from my friends and family around Southern California.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I might do a test of T-Mobile's network here in a few weeks too. Haven't really heard of too many complaints from my friends and family around Southern California.
    If they're good in your area, wouldn't hurt to give them a try. Their plans are way better than Verizon's, and the network can be just as fast.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I was on T Mobile before VZW. I had so many problems with dropped calls I paid the penalty to get out of that contract. Their SoCal coverage in my opinion stinks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    johnriii likes this.

OP made a glaring error in his math.

T-Mobile Family

Smartphone 1 and 2 unlimited voice/text: $100

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $160
    That adds up to $170.

Anyway, I did the T-Mo experiment and it flat out did not work for me. I had EDGE coverage at work, and home was a fringe area for voice / SMS coverage as well. WiFi calling is an option, but only if you purchase a phone from them with the capability. The Nexus S didn't fit that description. I was hoping the grass was greener, but it sure wasn't.

I've been back on AT&T, and it's been nice to have options of plenty of unlocked devices again, without worry of compatibility with an odd frequency.

(I replied to the wrong thread. Mods, feel free to delete, as I am not sure how.)