Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Exclamation Uh-Oh, how will they tabulate data usage with family share plan?!

I'm worried at how they are going to tabulate data usage for the family share plan and here is why. Currently I have an unlimited plan and my wife has a 4GB plan. She barely uses data at all (don't ask why ) and I use between 0.75-1.5GB monthly on average. So it would seem that a 2GB plan would suffice for us...BUT...here is the problem.

Reviewing the bill, they have her pegged at 1GB (1,024MG) monthly. My plan shows the exact KB (and MB) actually used, but then also rounds up to 1GB. So I called Verizon and they said that even though my wife only used 0.08GB last month (I added up all the data details to verify), they show her as using 1 GB because once you start a GB of data, you "get" the entire GB.... That is fine for our current situation, but will create havoc if that is how they do it in the family data share plan.

With actual usage, if I use 1.5 GB and she uses 0.1 or 0.2 GB, we come in under 2GB no problem. But if they say that once her phone starts using data, she gets the entire GB, then my 1.5GB of actual usage would turn into 2GB for billing purposes and her 0.2GB would turn into 1 GB meaning that we would need 3GB total. THAT WOULD TOTALLY SUCK and be completely unreasonable.

So what do you think? Will they count actual data for each phone and truly add them up as being shared, or will they continue this rounding gimmick and completely mess everybody up??!?!
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Default Re: Uh-Oh, how will they tabulate data usage with family share pl

I would hope that since it's shared data that once you start a new GB you share it. Call Verizon and get a straight answer from them.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Devinator View Post
    Call Verizon and get a straight answer from them.
    Exactly, no one here knows yet since the plans haven't started. Guesses or assumptions is all you'll get right now.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

I would hope that since it's shared data that once you start a new GB you share it. Call Verizon and get a straight answer from them.
    Agreed that is how they should do it. I spoke with Verizon yesterday - they explained to me why my wife's bill currently shows 1GB of usage. I immediately then questioned the rep about how it will work with the new plan, and she had no clue. She couldn't even understand why they current system would be a problem for a shared data plan, so I just gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Mario View Post
    Exactly, no one here knows yet since the plans haven't started. Guesses or assumptions is all you'll get right now.
    Yes, I figured as much, though I was hoping that maybe someone that works for Verizon and is able to understand why the current system wouldn't work would chime in. Hoping that my scenario might have been discussed as part of their training/information.

I also figured I would post this so that other people might be made aware and can watch for shenanigans once the new system goes into effect.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    I immediately then questioned the rep about how it will work with the new plan, and she had no clue.
    If at first you don't succeed... But seriously, if you really need an answer, sometimes you just need to be like, oh, you don't know, thanks anyway. Then call back. Ask again. Then call back, talk to someone with some authority, and keep doing that until you get an answer. Then get it noted on your account and take their employee number.

Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    I also figured I would post this so that other people might be made aware and can watch for shenanigans once the new system goes into effect.
    Well, that's good, thanks for letting us know. I didn't know that is how data worked. I am not on a shared plan, and, I have unlimited, but, I'm sure it'll affect me eventually. But, it's good to know that .0000000000001 GB = 1 GB.I think I learned that in Algebra somewhere along the way.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

Essentially, the tiered data plans bill as gigabytes used, even overage. So if she uses less than one gig it will show one gig used until she goes over that. The new plans may change that since multiple devices are utilizing the data. Reps now may not be too knowledgeable in it yet since it hasn't started and no one's bill reflects it. My suggestion is for people to wait and see, then question it. Because monitoring the usage will be important.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

That's a rather large unit to be rounding up to, IMO. Especially when a byte would round you up to the next GB If that puts you over your limit, then a simple byte could add an unexpected charge to your bill? That's ridiculous. I'm sure they would wave that if you called and complained, but, you shouldn't have to. There should an amount over a GB that rounds down.

But, yea, that's what I was thinking. Hopefully usage is tracked in one bucket and not two or more.

Yea, I mean, you might need to wait for CSRs to have a better answer. But, it can't hurt to call and ask a supervisor in advance if it's really a concern. They might not know either, but, it couldn't hurt.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

Well on the current tiered plans if you went over, even by 1MB, they would charge $10 for another gig. That's how's its been since it's started.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Regardless, that is ridiculous. They should prorate it based off that amount if you go over. Charging you for an extra block of data is like them charging you for a block of minutes or text messages if you go over by one minute or one text. They charge you overage by the minute, per text, and then by GB? Seems a little bit unbalanced. If it were per minute, per text, 25 MB, that would be a little more appropriate, IMO.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,491 Global Posts

That's a rather large unit to be rounding up to, IMO. Especially when a byte would round you up to the next GB If that puts you over your limit, then a simple byte could add an unexpected charge to your bill? That's ridiculous. I'm sure they would wave that if you called and complained, but, you shouldn't have to. There should an amount over a GB that rounds down.

But, yea, that's what I was thinking. Hopefully usage is tracked in one bucket and not two or more.

Yea, I mean, you might need to wait for CSRs to have a better answer. But, it can't hurt to call and ask a supervisor in advance if it's really a concern. They might not know either, but, it couldn't hurt.
    I don't think the prorate or round down on the existing tiered data plans. I don't see why it would be any different on a Share Everything plan.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I don't think the prorate or round down on the existing tiered data plans. I don't see why it would be any different on a Share Everything plan.

I'm saying they should. I have unlimited, so, I've never even though about data usage before. But, to go over at all and get charged for a block doesn't seem right. That isn't how it works for minutes or texts. You don't go over one minute and get charged for 100. Why should it work like that for data? I mean, sure, with minutes and data is has to be some amount (unlike a text which is one thing), but, one minute vs. 1 GB. Those are quite different.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,491 Global Posts

I'm saying they should. I have unlimited, so, I've never even though about data usage before. But, to go over at all and get charged for a block doesn't seem right. That isn't how it works for minutes or texts. You don't go over one minute and get charged for 100. Why should it work like that for data? I mean, sure, with minutes and data is has to be some amount (unlike a text which is one thing), but, one minute vs. 1 GB. Those are quite different.
    They don't prorate minutes. The overage is by the minute.

They don't prorate texts. The overage is by the text.

The overage rate for data is by the GB. It's clean. It's easy to read. It's easy to understand.

Remember when carriers did data overages by the KB or MB? Not as easy to the regular consumer to understand.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

I guess it works like because they say so. Every customer agreed to how it would be billed when they signed the contract and when they continued to use the service.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

They don't prorate minutes. The overage is by the minute.

They don't prorate texts. The overage is by the text.

The overage rate for data is by the GB. It's clean. It's easy to read. It's easy to understand.

Remember when carriers did data overages by the KB or MB? Not as easy to the regular consumer to understand.

I'm sorry, but, charging overage by the GB is like charging voice overage by the hour.

Not really sure how charging by a different unit of the same thing is confusing. Would it be even less confusing if it were a TB? Making the unit larger does not make it less confusing.

I guess it works like because they say so. Every customer agreed to how it would be billed when they signed the contract and when they continued to use the service.
    Absolutely, I never said it didn't. Of course they agreed to it, and, there is nothing that can be done about it. But, that does not make it an unreasonable policy.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,491 Global Posts

I'm sorry, but, charging overage by the GB is like charging voice overage by the hour.

Not really sure how charging by a different unit of the same thing is confusing. Would it be even less confusing if it were a TB? Making the unit larger does not make it less confusing.
    But it makes the upsell to a higher tier easier.

"Instead of paying an extra $15, why don't you sign up for the next tier and save $5?"

Or would you rather have the overage by the byte?

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

But it makes the upsell to a higher tier easier.

"Instead of paying an extra $15, why don't you sign up for the next tier and save $5?"

Or would you rather have the overage by the byte?

Sure, but, that doesn't mean its not unreasonable.

Yes. Voice overage by the millisecond, text message per character and data by the byte. Seriously? Of course not. By the byte is just as ridiculous as by the GB. One GB is nothing like one minute or one text. That's hours of video and audio being equated to one minute of voice or one text message.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

The old method of megabyte billing was 0.02 a MB, which was $20.48 a gig,so $10 a gig is definitely better.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

The old method of megabyte billing was 0.02 a MB, which was $20.48 a gig,so $10 a gig is definitely better.
    Well. That was the old method. And, not better if you only went over by a couple of megs.

Why can't it be a dollar for each 100 megs or something more reasonable. My qualm isn't with the price ratio, it's that you get charged a whole extra gig even if you only go over one meg. I mean, when you go over a minute on a phone call, they don't charge you for a whole extra hour.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts

Well. That was the old method. And, not better if you only went over by a couple of megs.

Why can't it be a dollar for each 100 megs or something more reasonable. My qualm isn't with the price ratio, it's that you get charged a whole extra gig even if you only go over one meg. I mean, when you go over a minute on a phone call, they don't charge you for a whole extra hour.

I don't agree with it but that's how it is. Maybe you should write a letter.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Thank you, that's all I wanted to hear.

Well, I have unlimited data, so, for now, it is irrelevant. But, if I find myself on a plan with a limit, and I go over by a fraction of a GB incurring a $10 charge, I'll deal with it then.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 and Incredikernel

These plans are just bad news all togeather. Unlimted data haha we use like 100 out of 700 minutes. They are taking away choices and I don't know what to do.

Sent from my DROID Incredible

We have 3 smartphones in the family and use very little data. We have determined we would save money under the shared data plan. Our research revealed several interesting things.
    1) The rounding up to 1gb with tiered plans. However, detail usage data is maintained on your account throughout the billing cycle and only rounded up at the close of the cycle. You can get a handle on your usage by determining your billing cycle cutoff date and signing on to your online "myverizon" account and looking at your usage THE DAY BEFORE YOUR BILLING CUTOFF DATE. Detail information for the month is still there.
    2) The Verizon CS reps are totally uninformed and ignorant about how the new system will work. Before abandoning our tiered plan (of which MY phone has unlimited data) we called Verizon MULTIPLE times, getting a different CS rep each time AND getting a different answer each time. Some of the reps have indicated that with three smartphones and a 1gb shared data plan, as soon as each phone used ANY data, the usage would be rounded up to 1gb. Thus, if each user used ANY data, our 1gb plan would be exceeded by 2gb. Other CS reps have indicated that under a shared plan if phone #1 used 50mb and phone #2 used 300mb and phone #3 used 150mb, our total usage would be 500mb and we would be safely within the 1gb plan. Totally different AND contradictory answers. We have thus held off
    on changing plans (and perhaps saving money) until we can get clear and definitive answers.

More (factual) information on this subject would be useful not only to me but to anyone considering switching plans in an effort to save money.
    Thanked by:

Like your wife I use very little data I'm just my phone alone. I switched from unlimited to a 4g share everything plan. My past usage shows that 2g should work fine but now that I have a tablet I wanted a cushion instead of a nasty surprise bill. I used more data in 2 weeks after I got my tablet then I did in 6 months on my phone as a stand alone device.
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

As indicated in a previous post, we have gotten inconsistent and conflicting information about the answer to this question from both Verizon CS reps as well as in-store personnel. Everything from "shared is truly shared and it's the accumulated detail total for all participants" to "each participants data usage is rounded up so with three participants, you'll need 3gb minimum, assuming each participant uses any data at all".

Visited a store (again) today and got a rep who was absolutely positive that there is no individual rounding up and if user #1 uses 75mb and user #2 uses 100mb and user #3 uses 225mb, the total data usage is 400mb and we would be under a 1gb shared plan usage. He volunteered to double check this with his manager, which he did, and he assured us his information was accurate and correct. He seemed to be the most knowledgeable and forthright rep we've spoken to thus far.

We have three smartphones and in tracking our monthly usage we are confident we use very little data and that a 1gb plan will suffice for our needs. Much of our usage is wi-fi (versus Verizon network) and we are careful to use wi-fi whenever available.

We're going to switch plans. If it turns out he lied (or was misinformed) I'm willing to pay the contract buyout price to dump Verizon and switch to my daughter's Sprint family plan for $30 each, with unlimited data and talk and text.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchbrook View Post

Visited a store (again) today and got a rep who was absolutely positive that there is no individual rounding up and if user #1 uses 75mb and user #2 uses 100mb and user #3 uses 225mb, the total data usage is 400mb and we would be under a 1gb shared plan usage.
    The sales rep that you talked to at the store is correct. This is how it appears on my bill since I switched to share everything.
    Thanked by 2:
    Rypretext 
    Ry likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast