So now that I'm going to pay full retail,

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
How much will my monthly bill drop? Verizon claims they subsidize smartphones at around $400 per device. That equates to $20 +/- per month, per device.

I have 4 smartphones on my plan. So I assume I will see a monthly rate decrease each time I purchase a new phone at full retail? No?

Of course I won't see anything. I'm being sarcastic. What this does prove (in my opinion), is Verizon doesn't actually subsidize the phones.

We always pay full retail, we just aren't smart enough to see through the marketing bs.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Only T-Mobile does this.

But you can leave without penalty if you're off-contract.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Maybe you should take a look at their financials to see if their regulatory 10Q and 10K filings disclose such costs.

It's an incentive to get you into a two year contract which allows them to amortize that expense over those two years. When you pay full price, you can leave at any time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
We always pay full retail, we just aren't smart enough to see through the marketing bs.

Speak for yourself. I ignore marketing every bit as much as I ignore what others tell me I'm entitled to. What I pay attention to is the level of service I require and can afford. For my business communications I require the best cell service available. Specially when the best is SO much better than the rest of the pack.

If you don't need the best, or can't afford it, then maybe you should drop down to tier 2 or 3 and save yourself some money and annoyance.

But for God's sakes, stop blaming this on Verizon and start blaming it on their weak competition. If the rest of the pack had invested in infrastructure the way VZ did, we'd have more viable alternatives and VZ wouldn't be able to get away with this crap.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The market will dictate if the new Share Everything plan will be a success not.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I never said I was leaving Verizon. I did make mention of my sarcasm and I was ranting.

I have unlimited data on every device. Verizon uses the term "unlimited", although I always understood I could be throttled after 5 gigs. I happily paid my bill each month and never complained of its expense. I typically pay more for what I want.

The total data used by all devices is 3-4 gigs per month. I pay for 20 (in theory). With the new plan, Verizon has cut my data in half. The only way to keep the data plan is to pay an additional $400 per device at each renewal.

I most likely will take this route, but for some reason, I'm really irked about it.

Oh well.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I never said I was leaving Verizon. I did make mention of my sarcasm and I was ranting.

I have unlimited data on every device. Verizon uses the term "unlimited", although I always understood I could be throttled after 5 gigs. I happily paid my bill each month and never complained of its expense. I typically pay more for what I want.

The total data used by all devices is 3-4 gigs per month. I pay for 20 (in theory). With the new plan, Verizon has cut my data in half. The only way to keep the data plan is to pay an additional $400 per device at each renewal.

I most likely will take this route, but for some reason, I'm really irked about it.

Oh well.

For the record, it has been publicly stated that Verizon doesn't not throttle 4G LTE connections due to high usage.

3G connections can be throttled.

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Speak for yourself. I ignore marketing every bit as much as I ignore what others tell me I'm entitled to. What I pay attention to is the level of service I require and can afford. For my business communications I require the best cell service available. Specially when the best is SO much better than the rest of the pack.

If you don't need the best, or can't afford it, then maybe you should drop down to tier 2 or 3 and save yourself some money and annoyance.

But for God's sakes, stop blaming this on Verizon and start blaming it on their weak competition. If the rest of the pack had invested in infrastructure the way VZ did, we'd have more viable alternatives and VZ wouldn't be able to get away with this crap.

Your basing this off of the "theory" of a equally competative market which is taught in school books. This program has nothing to do with infrastructure upgrade and everything to do with greed.

Unless you are a business that lives off of your cell phone the average user does not even come close to touching their plan's minutes. I am willing to bet that texts are not even an issue. However they are marketing in these great plans that you get unlimited minutes and text. They are also "giving" you the ability to tether and allow you to add a tablet for $10 line charge. If you use a tablet like a computer your data will go through the roof. If you tether your plan will go through the roof.

Their marketing is nothing more than a slap across the educated consumers face.