Stop & think!

Brian_d

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
STOP & THINK PEOPLE!

Who says that a person who uses more than 2 gigs of data a month is a "data hog"? Where did this come from?? Why are some of us as consumers so accepting of this arbitrary number/notion?? The big 2 (& T-mobile) have done an excellent job conitioning us to think that Joe public is a bad man because he uses 6 gigs of UNLIMITED data. Why?

These companies have marketed & sold us a service where almost evertything we do with their product requires data. But don't worry - data is unlimited. Apps running in the background, pulling data at will, virtually out of our control. No need to worry - unlimited! No room for your music that you just downloaded using data? No problem - store it in the cloud! Then use your data again (& again) to listen to it. You have unlimited data right? Want to back up those precious pictures? "To the cloud!" Want to view em? Data. Want to keep with your friends thorugh social media? More data. Get the point? Data is like crack!

Then they pull the rug out from under us... One. Step. At. A. Time.

Stop & think

No more unlimited data plans for new customers. Most of us breathe a sigh of relief. "I'm grandfathered WHOHOO!"

Now Verizon is tightening the noose/ taking away a little more crack, with their latest plan which may or may not cost you more money. Stop & think. Would Verizon make a plan that takes less money out of your pocket? They know that most of us are going to choose the smallest data plan that we "think" we need. And then wait for the overages to pile up, making more $$. "Free Wifi teathering included". That's mighty white of Verizon. They know that browsing on your laptop consumes ALOT more data than on your mobile. As an example, just look at the difference between Android Central's mobile page & the same page on you laptop/home PC. The difference is startling. Verizon bean counters are wringing their hands in anticipation of you using "free" included teathering!

"I'll keep my grandfathered unlimited data by buying my next phone unsubsidized". Stop & think. You are now without contract, month to month. How long do you think Pig Red is going to let you stay month to month unlimited before they say "Uh uh. We need you to choose one of our (GREAT!) new plans" or "based on your usage, here's the plan "we think" best suits you"... Without a contract, they can tell you to pony up or beat sand. SO, I hope you just spent $600 plus on an unsubsidized phone that you can take to a different carrier.

"I don't use/need big data/I use free Wifi at home/work".
Stop & think. I guarantee you - EVERY SINGLE ISP IS WAITING TO SEE WHAT TRANSPIRES WHEN VILE-RIZON IMPLEMENTS THIS! Do you think that every other ISP, be it mobile or landline, will continue to offer unlimited data if Verizon can charge per data usage??? Do you think your work will continue to let you use their newly tiered data for your personal device? Where are you going to get your free crack when your home ISP charges per usage/exceeding data caps? It's already happening - look at Con-cast.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, whether you are a Verizon customer or not, should be absolutly furious about these changes being foisted upon us. I dosen't matter if you don't have to "choose" this plan "right now"! Because, one way or another, this corporate greed is eventually going to affect us all. Every single one of us, Verizon or not, should make as much noise/ protest these changes as possible. And if that doesn't work, Yell in protest with your wallets & choose another carrier that will suit your needs without bending you over.

Last edited:

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Americans have been so beaten down by the current system theyll go along with anything as long dancing with the stars and american idol remain in the air.

Technology advacement in the wireless cell industry is raising cost . This anomaly is also seen in the healthcare industry. Due to gov and big business in cahoots.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: arizonamman

Noble_Logistics

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I did the math i actually end up saving money by buying my phones unsubsidized

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I may have to cancel my DSL line and have the wife use the hot spot on her TB instead to save money for our unsubsidized new phones.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
STOP & THINK PEOPLE!

Who says that a person who uses more than 2 gigs of data a month is a "data hog"? Where did this come from?? Why are some of us as consumers so accepting of this arbitrary number/notion?? The big 2 (& T-mobile) have done an excellent job conitioning us to think that Joe public is a bad man because he uses 6 gigs of UNLIMITED data. Why?

These companies have marketed & sold us a service where almost evertything we do with their product requires data. But don't worry - data is unlimited. Apps running in the background, pulling data at will, virtually out of our control. No need to worry - unlimited! No room for your music that you just downloaded using data? No problem - store it in the cloud! Then use your data again (& again) to listen to it. You have unlimited data right? Want to back up those precious pictures? "To the cloud!" Want to view em? Data. Want to keep with your friends thorugh social media? More data. Get the point? Data is like crack!

Then they pull the rug out from under us... One. Step. At. A. Time.

Stop & think

No more unlimited data plans for new customers. Most of us breathe a sigh of relief. "I'm grandfathered WHOHOO!"

Now Verizon is tightening the noose/ taking away a little more crack, with their latest plan which may or may not cost you more money. Stop & think. Would Verizon make a plan that takes less money out of your pocket? They know that most of us are going to choose the smallest data plan that we "think" we need. And then wait for the overages to pile up, making more $$. "Free Wifi teathering included". That's mighty white of Verizon. They know that browsing on your laptop consumes ALOT more data than on your mobile. As an example, just look at the difference between Android Central's mobile page & the same page on you laptop/home PC. The difference is startling. Verizon bean counters are wringing their hands in anticipation of you using "free" included teathering!

"I'll keep my grandfathered unlimited data by buying my next phone unsubsidized". Stop & think. You are now without contract, month to month. How long do you think Pig Red is going to let you stay month to month unlimited before they say "Uh uh. We need you to choose one of our (GREAT!) new plans" or "based on your usage, here's the plan "we think" best suits you"... Without a contract, they can tell you to pony up or beat sand. SO, I hope you just spent $600 plus on an unsubsidized phone that you can take to a different carrier.

"I don't use/need big data/I use free Wifi at home/work".
Stop & think. I guarantee you - EVERY SINGLE ISP IS WAITING TO SEE WHAT TRANSPIRES WHEN VILE-RIZON IMPLEMENTS THIS! Do you think that every other ISP, be it mobile or landline, will continue to offer unlimited data if Verizon can charge per data usage??? Do you think your work will continue to let you use their newly tiered data for your personal device? Where are you going to get your free crack when your home ISP charges per usage/exceeding data caps? It's already happening - look at Con-cast.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, whether you are a Verizon customer or not, should be absolutly furious about these changes being foisted upon us. I dosen't matter if you don't have to "choose" this plan "right now"! Because, one way or another, this corporate greed is eventually going to affect us all. Every single one of us, Verizon or not, should make as much noise/ protest these changes as possible. And if that doesn't work, Yell in protest with your wallets & choose another carrier that will suit your needs without bending you over.

Erm. Except all of the carriers have data to back up their assertion about heavy data users. There's a reason 2gb is identified as the number.

While I agree with the overall message, at the same time you completely ignore the realities of wireless technology and wireless markets in the US. Spectrum is finite. So is the number of users any given network can support before the quality of service degrades. The carriers are attempting to work out a solution within the framework the FCC and federal government has cobbled together, and, frankly, its the only viable solution given what they have to work with.

Your quibbles should be with the flawed nature of the wireless market itself, not with the carriers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

droogin

Banned
Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the point made hear is a good one. I agree that the company's make the phones to gobble up data in any form, and I understand as time goes on I know thinks change its only natural. I think there should be a option to buy unlimited data at a rate. A 6 month data rate of unlimited data would be nice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Erm. Except all of the carriers have data to back up their assertion about heavy data users. There's a reason 2gb is identified as the number.

While I agree with the overall message, at the same time you completely ignore the realities of wireless technology and wireless markets in the US. Spectrum is finite. So is the number of users any given network can support before the quality of service degrades. The carriers are attempting to work out a solution within the framework the FCC and federal government has cobbled together, and, frankly, its the only viable solution given what they have to work with.

Your quibbles should be with the flawed nature of the wireless market itself, not with the carriers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Fully agree - I have a hard time understanding how people don't understand the problems with limited spectrum. This is real and not a made up by "Money Grubbing Corporations".

That said wireless companies are not wonderful paragons of virtue. They were brought up on making tons on money offering tons of various services that people paid for -texting, ringtones, lots of minutes, data etc... But overtime users have become smart on getting most of these services for free.

Personally I don't mind the new plans - I generally use right around 2 GB a month. I have a tablet and two other smart phone users on my plan who use less. We can save quite a bit by the new plans. I personally don't think the new plans are great right now, so I will wait a bit before I change.

Those who don't like the new plans and want to protest with their wallet should run not walk to Sprint and find out how wonderful unlimited networks are by companies run so well they have not made any money in 4 four years. As a former Sprint customer I wish you all the best.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Fully agree - I have a hard time understanding how people don't understand the problems with limited spectrum. This is real and not a made up by "Money Grubbing Corporations".

That said wireless companies are not wonderful paragons of virtue. They were brought up on making tons on money offering tons of various services that people paid for -texting, ringtones, lots of minutes, data etc... But overtime users have become smart on getting most of these services for free.

Personally I don't mind the new plans - I generally use right around 2 GB a month. I have a tablet and two other smart phone users on my plan who use less. We can save quite a bit by the new plans. I personally don't think the new plans are great right now, so I will wait a bit before I change.

Those who don't like the new plans and want to protest with their wallet should run not walk to Sprint and find out how wonderful unlimited networks are by companies run so well they have not made any money in 4 four years. As a former Sprint customer I wish you all the best.

I hope these people threatening to leave Verizon over this actually do. More Verizon spectrum for me. :D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

devman

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised no one has said it yet.

1st world problems.

Why? It isn't clever or anything. This is androidcentral.com about a smartphone OS in a sub forum dedicated to a US carrier. By definition any problem someone has in this forum is a 1st world problem. Seriously if your going to call out something for being a first world problem at least use the meme in its proper context.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Why? It isn't clever or anything. This is androidcentral.com about a smartphone OS in a sub forum dedicated to a US carrier. By definition any problem someone has in this forum is a 1st world problem. Seriously if your going to call out something for being a first world problem at least use the meme in its proper context.

Sorry, my sarcasm didn't come across. I wasn't trying to be clever or anything.

shugmeat

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

I do understand a limited spectrum. There is only a finite bandwidth possible at any given time on any given network. Ask someone who has cable internet. The more users in an area, the slower speeds and worse ping. But, this is the thing I wish someone could explain to me.
Let's say bob has decided to sell this new liquid that comes from the underside of a cow. Bob tells me its the drink of the future. I can have all I want for $20 a month, so I have my whole family drinking it. Then he tells Mark about it, and sells him unlimited liquid for $20 a month. This keeps going on and on. After a while, the cow can't produce enough liquid to keep up with the demand, and Bob starts telling Sally and Joe that since I drink 3-4 gallons a month, it limits how much liquid he can give them now. Boo me. Horrible me.
Now the part I need explained is this. If Bob only bought one cow, is that my fault? The output of the cow has absolutely nothing to do with me. If I can have unlimited liquid, Bob should buy more cows, and produce more liquid to add more customers, not blame me. I'm only using the service HE (read VERIZON) offered me to get my money!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I do understand a limited spectrum. There is only a finite bandwidth possible at any given time on any given network. Ask someone who has cable internet. The more users in an area, the slower speeds and worse ping. But, this is the thing I wish someone could explain to me.
Let's say bob has decided to sell this new liquid that comes from the underside of a cow. Bob tells me its the drink of the future. I can have all I want for $20 a month, so I have my whole family drinking it. Then he tells Mark about it, and sells him unlimited liquid for $20 a month. This keeps going on and on. After a while, the cow can't produce enough liquid to keep up with the demand, and Bob starts telling Sally and Joe that since I drink 3-4 gallons a month, it limits how much liquid he can give them now. Boo me. Horrible me.
Now the part I need explained is this. If Bob only bought one cow, is that my fault? The output of the cow has absolutely nothing to do with me. If I can have unlimited liquid, Bob should buy more cows, and produce more liquid to add more customers, not blame me. I'm only using the service HE (read VERIZON) offered me to get my money!

You said you understood limited bandwidth yet want Verizon to buy more cows.

And again, no one is being forced to ditch their unlimited data plan.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I could go for some chocolate milk right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Reactions: shugmeat

shugmeat

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
You said you understood limited bandwidth yet want Verizon to buy more cows.

And again, no one is being forced to ditch their unlimited data plan.

Yes, they could provide more bandwidth. Are there not any other bandwidths for sale? Does Verizon currently have any other frequencies that could be used? If they are running out of bandwidth, they should be ecstatic. That means more and more people are using their service. In turn, more and more money coming in. Use some of this money to provide the service you sold. Does anyone understand that they advertised to get my business. I didn't go to them and ask them to build a cellular company. All I want is the service they told me they would give me for my money. And yes, they are not taking away my unlimited data. Yet. But they are making me pay more to keep it by paying full retail on a new phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, they could provide more bandwidth. Are there not any other bandwidths for sale? Does Verizon currently have any other frequencies that could be used? If they are running out of bandwidth, they should be ecstatic. That means more and more people are using their service. In turn, more and more money coming in. Use some of this money to provide the service you sold. Does anyone understand that they advertised to get my business. I didn't go to them and ask them to build a cellular company. All I want is the service they told me they would give me for my money. And yes, they are not taking away my unlimited data. Yet. But they are making me pay more to keep it by paying full retail on a new phone.

Verizon (and AT&T) need to be careful about how they go about purchasing available bandwidth. We've already seen AT&T fail (the T-Mobile) deal and it appears Verizon is ready to make as many concessions as they can to get the SpectrumCo deal done.

And new chips/radios need to be made to support other frequencies.

They're not forcing you to buy a new phone.

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

You understand that they ARE trying to purchase more spectrum right? They are heavily regulated and as we speak are trying to obtain more, but everything has to go through the powers that be, and that takes time.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx