Adding Line To Keep Subsidized Upgrades and Unlimited After 6/28

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
My extra line comes in at just under $20 after taxes, but I live in Chicago, it's tax city here. Depending on where you're at, it might be cheaper. For me, I'm just breaking even. Not really worth the trouble, in my opinion. It'll probably be the only time I do it this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNex Girl

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
You can add that line after the 28th and it will just be offered the 2GB plan. Your other lines with unlimited won't be affected. The data pool is just an option, you can still keep your plan the way you like it.

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I know I won't be able to get unlimited on the new line, but will I be able to add a new line to my current family plan, which has 2 unlimited data lines, and keep unlimited on the original 2 lines? I know I will have to chose a tiered plan on the new line, but will I be forced onto Share Everything if I add a new line with a smartphone on it after 6/28?

I am in the same exact position. Looks like we should be able to

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
No you will not need to pay the termination fee if switching to basic. Only if cancel that line.
I will pay the $9.99 for the new line for 2 years but just don't want to have to pay for data on that line. Will I have to pay the termination fee if I drop the data?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can I Add a Line to My Family Plan and Keep Unlimited After 6

When I add a line, will I be able to buy a subsidized phone without it affecting my unlimited lines on the family plan?

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Adding a Line and Then Dropping the Data

Strange.. I just looked at my receipt and it doesn't show an activation fee. Could have swore it was on there. All it shows is $199+$13.50(tax).. So, I'm not sure. I'll have to check the paper receipt.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Adding a Line and Then Dropping the Data

Strange.. I just looked at my receipt and it doesn't show an activation fee. Could have swore it was on there. All it shows is $199+$13.50(tax).. So, I'm not sure. I'll have to check the paper receipt.
I think if you buy online there is no activation fee for new lines or new accounts. Did you buy online?

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
When You Buy a Subsidized Phone, Do You Pay Tax on Full Retail?

I can't find my original receipt to know if I paid sales tax on full retail or just the subsidized price. Does anyone know?

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: When You Buy a Subsidized Phone, Do You Pay Tax on Full Retai

In most states, you're taxed on the amount you paid, but states like California will tax you on the full retail cost of the phone.

Reactions: GNex Girl and Ry

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Please let me know if I am correct about this.

Currently I have a family plan with 2 smartphones (GNex and iPhone 4S) and unlimited data on both lines. My plan is to add 2 lines when I am ready to get new phones for those lines so that I can get the subsidized phones. Here is how I worked out the math, but please let me know if I am wrong in my thinking.

For my GNex, I will replace with another high end Android GNex equivalent, which have been running $650 full retail at launch but $300 subsidized. Adding a line online I think there is no activation fee, but you pay taxes on the subsidized phone price and the line which brings the phone where I live to $318 and the 20 months of the new line to $300 (since I would activate a basic phone on the new line and drop the data). So a subsidized high end Android GNex equivalent would cost me $618 if I had to add a line to get it. To buy full retail including the tax would be $689.

Thus, the savings would be only $71 + the cost of a basic phone (which I already have so is free), but of course I would have the use of an extra line with a basic phone on it if I ever needed it (for instance if my phone broke and I had to wait for a replacement).

Now for the iPhone it seems more worthwhile since the 16GB storage models have been retailing for $650 but the subsidized price is $200. To buy full retail with tax would be $689. To add a line and get a subsidized iPhone with 16GB storage would be $212 + $300 = $512, a savings of $177.

To Summarize (I realize the prices may go up in the future but using current data):

Full Retail Android GNex Equivalent = $689
Subsidized Android GNex Equivalent = $318
Additional Line for 20 months = $300
Savings $689 - $318 - $300 = $71

Full Retail iPhone 5 w/16GB = $689
Subsidized iPhone 5 w/16GB = $212
Additional Line for 20 months = $300
Savings $689 - $212 - $300 = $177

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In most states, you're taxed on the amount you paid, but states like California will tax you on the full retail cost of the phone.

I bought my DROID BIONIC while on vacation in Hawaii because they only tax on the purchase price, not full retail. And their sales tax is lower than California's.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I bought my DROID BIONIC while on vacation in Hawaii because they only tax on the purchase price, not full retail. And their sales tax is lower than California's.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

That's what I said. I don't know if other states charge on full retail like California does because when I worked there I only handled west area accounts.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: When You Buy a Subsidized Phone, Do You Pay Tax on Full Retai

That's what I said. I don't know if other states charge on full retail like California does because when I worked there I only handled west area accounts.

That's kind of nutty; any reason why, or just state/local tax policy?

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
News "@androinica: Verizon Wireless online lowers the Samsung Galaxy Nexus price to $149 http://t.co/klBBguJL"

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Status
Not open for further replies.