Adding Line To Keep Subsidized Upgrades and Unlimited After 6/28

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
3G Unlimited Data - Upgrade to 4G Before 6/28 to Keep Unlimited?

My mom and I are on a family plan. We both have unlimited data but she has a 3G iPhone 4S and I have a 4G LTE GNex.

She likes her iPhone and when the 4G LTE iPhone 5 comes out later in the year, I want her to be able to keep unlimited data. So do I need to switch her to a 4G LTE phone before 6/28 so that when the iPhone 5 comes out she will be able to keep her unlimited data?

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: 3G Unlimited Data - Upgrade to 4G Before 6/28 to Keep Unlimit

Hmmm, good question. As far as I know now, you can switch between 3g and 4G and vice versa and keep Unlimited. With these new plans coming up, I don't know how that would work.also, with no expected release date for the iPhone 5,who knows how long you would have to wait. I would check with Verizon or just get it to be safe.

Reactions: GNex Girl

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

If she is paying full retail it won't matter. If you upgrade at a discount you will lose unlimited regardless. Otherwise no it won't matter.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. After June 28 the only way to keep unlimited data is to NOT get the phone thru Verizon at the subsidized price. Meaning buy for full retail or buy used.

--------------------------------------------------
There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. --Ash

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. After June 28 the only way to keep unlimited data is to NOT get the phone thru Verizon at the subsidized price. Meaning buy for full retail or buy used.
This applies to a 3G to 4G activation, too? As long as you pay full retail, you can keep unlimited?

Iphonejackson

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I spoke with verizon and they said if you pay full price for a phone, you will keep unlimited data (3g to 4g).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site

Maybe you could pre-order her a SGS3 at the subsidized price in order to protect unlimited data. When the phone comes activate it and then deactivate it and put it back in the box and reactivate her Iphone on that line. Later this year when the Iphone 5 comes out you sell the SGS3 and put that money towards her Iphone.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Adding a Line and Then Dropping the Data

I have a family plan with an iPhone 4S and a GNex both with unlimited data. Can I add a line for $9.99 and get the Galaxy SIII at the subsidized price. Then when I receive it, activate it on the line currently having the iPhone 4S and unlimited data and activate a basic phone on the new line and drop the data plan from the new line?

IOW, can I drop the data on the new line without any penalties after receiving a subsidized phone or do I need to pay for data on that line for 2 years?

jhaire08

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes you should be able to do it. When you get the sgs3, I think you will have to activate it on the new line first then just get a new 4g sim with the number that is on your iphone. That's how I had to do when I used my upgrade to get my girlfriend her new razr.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Adding a Line and Then Dropping the Data

Yea u can do that but the termination fee stays the same.
I will pay the $9.99 for the new line for 2 years but just don't want to have to pay for data on that line. Will I have to pay the termination fee if I drop the data?

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

Yes you should be able to do it. When you get the sgs3, I think you will have to activate it on the new line first then just get a new 4g sim with the number that is on your iphone. That's how I had to do when I used my upgrade to get my girlfriend her new razr.
But if I add a new line since I will be getting a smartphone on that line, I have to get a data plan. I don't want to pay for data on that line so I want to activate a basic phone on it. Can I drop the data on the new line without having to pay a penalty?

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I will pay the $9.99 for the new line for 2 years but just don't want to have to pay for data on that line. Will I have to pay the termination fee if I drop the data?

No you don't have to pay the termination fee if you drop data cause I did the same thing when the galaxy nexus came out

jhaire08

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
But if I add a new line since I will be getting a smartphone on that line, I have to get a data plan. I don't want to pay for data on that line so I want to activate a basic phone on it. Can I drop the data on the new line without having to pay a penalty?

Yea, after you get the new phone activated on your line just put an old basic phone on the new line and you won't have to worry about paying for data.

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

That's what I did, I have 3 lines with smartphones. Added a 4th and preordered the SG3. You might have to pay a little bit more the first month, due to the line being prorated once you drop the data plan. Figured paying an extra $10/mo for 2yrs, is not even close to buying it at retail.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

Figured paying an extra $10/mo for 2yrs, is not even close to buying it at retail.
How much extra a month is it if you add in the taxes and fees? And is there an activation fee if you add the line via the website?

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Can I Add a Line to My Family Plan and Keep Unlimited After 6/28?

I know I won't be able to get unlimited on the new line, but will I be able to add a new line to my current family plan, which has 2 unlimited data lines, and keep unlimited on the original 2 lines? I know I will have to chose a tiered plan on the new line, but will I be forced onto Share Everything if I add a new line with a smartphone on it after 6/28?

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

How much extra a month is it if you add in the taxes and fees? And is there an activation fee if you add the line via the website?

I believe taxes come out to be in the $4.62 range. Still better than paying $30/mo when the new share plans go live. Yes, there is still an activation fee. If I'm not mistaken, it's $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.