Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default When, if ever will Verizon follow AT&T?

I dread the day Verizon follows AT&T. Hope it never comes to pass.
    Verizon may follow AT&T by ending unlimited data plans | VentureBeat

It's only a matter of time. Unfortunately, Verizon its my only option in my area, so I'll just have to do what I can to deal with data charges when the time comes.

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah, I'm sure it will happen sooner rather than later. With as big as Verizon is and the amount of data being sent back and forth, if they can cash in on the huge amount of subscribers they have, then they will. Plus, if they see that AT&T subscriptions rise now that they've announced tiered plans, they will jump aboard as well.

Default Re: When, if ever will Verizon follow AT&T?

I'm just not understanding this. $25 for 2GB vs $30 for unlimited and some people are jumping for joy bc of this change?!?! I'm a person who loves my data and 2GB would never work for me, but these new deals are ridiculous. Yes, having tiered options is great, but keeping that unlimited option or at least 5GB is a must. $25 vs $30...New AT&T data users I feel sorry for you. Just wrong. End of my rant...sorry guys haha.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

[QUOTE=epphllps;174183]I'm just not understanding this. $25 for 2GB vs $30 for unlimited and some people are jumping for joy bc of this change?!?! I'm a person who loves my data and 2GB would never work for me, but these new deals are ridiculous. Yes, having tiered options is great, but keeping that unlimited option or at least 5GB is a must. $25 vs $30...New AT&T data users I feel sorry for you. Just wrong. End of my rant...sorry guys haha.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Exactly my thoughts. I don't mind paying $30 for unlimited. So when the time finally does come will the current subscribers be grandfathered in on their old unlimited plans. A friend of mine with AT&T IPhone was able to keep hers.
    Curve 8330 >>> Storm 9550 >>> HTC Incredible

this is a big dislike, i am a very heavy data user as i use email and web all the time, 2gb might be pushing it some months although maybe for certain phones they would do as sprint did for the Evo with a slight extra charge for truly unlimited data

i wouldnt expect to see something like this for vzw until LTE comes along. then id suspect tiered type pricing for the LTE service.

Default Re: When, if ever will Verizon follow AT&T?

Is there a way to see my monthly data usage? (I'm a Verizon customer).

my verizon has it, look at your account online and the usage details of your number specifically

The biggest issue I have with going to limited data is it is opposite the way that the technology is taking us. Faster phones, faster networks, more capable multimedia phones, more internet oriented lifestyles with streaming EVERYTHING, and the phone companies decide NOW to start limiting data? How does that make any sense?

even though the phones and internet are getting faster and such, the companies need to update their technology to handle the capacity, as demonstrated by ATT with the iphone and issues in like NYC etc. maybe its precautionary as to they are going to increase capacity for their networks maybe it is because they fear that data usage is going to skyrocket and they wont be able to handle so if people are on limited they will be more cautious about their use...too many reasons to pick just one

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

I wouldn't mind a tiered option on Verizon if it was $30 for unlimited $20 5Gb a month or $10 for 2GB a month. Because honesty here lately I've been using less than 5GB a month now that I have a phone with WiFi so I could save some money and shot for $15-20 a month cheaper of a plan. But I think limiting network usage for users is going in the opposite direction they need to take. I think instead they should cap the speeds like the cable companies did for years, until they get the infrastructure in place to support full speed. But they can't do that because then they couldn't say, "The nations fastest network"......eck stupid companies.

People say, "Oh poor AT&T the iPhone kills their network that's why it runs like that if any other carrier had the iPhone it would have done the same thing!" Umm forget about all the other smart phones on the various networks? Also I know several people who have Blackberries in NY that don't drop calls, it's an iPhone issue not AT&T if you ask me, they are using it to jack the prices. That's also the reason why the iPhone has went from a solid aluminum device to a plexi glass/acrylic/glass body for better reception.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

yeah i agree completely, it would be better if they just capped speeds until they have the proper capabilities to handle the speed and capacity they want to be able to offer. but also, like you said, then no one can call themselves fastest etc. because of self imposed restrictions. the iPhone honestly still sucks IMHO, so over-hyped and well yeah there are so many reasons there too. oh well
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

it's funny that this was posted today because there i came across a few blogs that stated how verizon is planning on doing this eventually but it seems like it will take place when LTE (4G) takes effect. i think we still have time, i am just wondering if this will only be directed towards Verizon 4G customer's or 3G and 4G. With 3g currently i am at a little under 2 gb and i have about 8 more days on my billing period. i don't think this would kill me but it is somewhat annoying. i see this being a a good marketing too for verizon at this moment until they do change it.

I'm waiting for my phone and am new to smartphones so this will be a dumb question. But I got the $30 data plan- what will this allow me to do? Do I get unlimited data and texts or do I have to be careful about how much I use the device? Thanks.

ROM
    Standard 4.1 Jellybean

Verizon's $30 plan is unlimited data but does not include texting... You don't have to worry about what you do with the phone on the internet or downloading files and such... Texts are another option that you're paying a separate fee for with Verizon, based on how many texts you need.

Quote Originally Posted by dyerdiehl View Post
    I'm waiting for my phone and am new to smartphones so this will be a dumb question. But I got the $30 data plan- what will this allow me to do? Do I get unlimited data and texts or do I have to be careful about how much I use the device? Thanks.
    You will have unlimited data, but unless you have an unlimited text plan you will NOT have unlimited texts. Texts are not data.

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

This would kill me as I use slacker and sirius all the time not to mention the occasional tv show via nntp.

I hope they keep an unlimited plan even if it costs more or at least something in the 100+ gig range.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

there is only one way around getting hit by this. well actually 2:

1) stay on your current contract and pay full price for phones. they can't make you change your contract. what you signed for is what they have to give you. the bad part is paying 500-600 for a phone

2)sign a new contract or extend your contract right before this takes effect. atleast 2 more years of unlimitied 3g data.

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

I would definitely keep my plan and pay the full price for new phones for as long as I could but I bet if I bought an lte device they could make it a condition of the lte service that you have a new limited data plan.

A year ago I would not have believed they would do this but then again even cable modems are limited now to 250GB on comcast.

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

The problem is that data speeds which devices are able to produce is starting to outclass the old infrastructure which takes a lot of time and money to update. In a way, the capping makes sense, but over time, people are going to hate the limits, especially after being used to unlimited data for so long. At some point, companies will need to stop dragging their feet and do the work required to create networks that can handle the new era of connection speeds, then we can see unlimited being a real possibility again.

I am dreading this day. I hope that they keep an unlimited plan for $30. They can really use this as a huge marketing strategy though... How much is the sprint true unlimited anyways?

To play Devil's Advocate, if Verizon or Sprint were to change to tiered data rates, I'd jump to them in a heartbeat. I will put a disclaimer on that comment, though, and say that I currently don't have an android phone, so I'm not sure how much data I will use. However, I will say that I can't think I will use very much, since 90% of my data usage will be over wifi. My wife might use 50 mb a month, period.

So, being able to save $30 per month (2 data plans on AT&T for $15 each vs $30 each on Verizon) is a big deal for me. I'd love a shot at the hardware that Sprint and Evo currently have, but I can't justify the extra monthly expense.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

And... isn't LTE more efficient? I agree that in the future we will use more data, I don't want to depend on wifi, but will surely use it if available. And if AT&T is correct, and 90% of users don't use that much data, I think they would keep the price the same, charge more(Unlimited) for whats not being used.