Vzw hates that you have unlimited data

Calzican

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty sure it was Home Depot & Lowe's that messed up your hardware store guy...just saying.

Anyway when I say data hog I mean people that use a massive amount as compared to the norm. I have unlimited and only use about 2 GB a month. I am not saying it is wrong because unlimited is unlimited and if carriers don't like it then they should just change the plans. That said we all know that they want more customers using a limited amount of data compared to small groups of customers using massive amounts of data. They are going to use their cattle prod to push us into the new plans or to the next ranch.

In small towns everywhere Wal Mart is all you got maybe a Dollar store anyway you got my point it's customer appreciation has lost it's value. Don't tell me you've never been at Wal Mart and counted the 14 unused registers while standing in line halfway across the aisle waiting on the two part time no benefit having cashiers to check out?

I agree it's going to happen but the number of unlimited plans or in other words customers that have been around awhile is anywhere near the thousands that activate daily. Now the guy that started yesterday and I have the same plan maybe he'll stick around 20 years I won't as soon as my contract expires.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I pay right now $135 for 1 smart phone with unlimited data, insurance, and the $10 text message plan. I have 3 dumphones with only 1 having a $10 text messaging plan.

If i upgrade my phone right now, my bill goes from $135, to $170 with only 1 GB of data. I only have 550 minutes on my account for 4 phones and never once went over them. Never went over the text limit either. These new plans are not beneficial at all to people like me.

BullFrog76

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I pay $240/month for 3 smart phones and 1 basic phone. I have unlimited data on 2, and 4 gb on the other. 1400 family share, unlimited text. With a share all plan, I'd save $10 for unlimited talk/text and 6gb data.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I pay right now $135 for 1 smart phone with unlimited data, insurance, and the $10 text message plan. I have 3 dumphones with only 1 having a $10 text messaging plan.

If i upgrade my phone right now, my bill goes from $135, to $170 with only 1 GB of data. I only have 550 minutes on my account for 4 phones and never once went over them. Never went over the text limit either. These new plans are not beneficial at all to people like me.

Just an FYI - if you do a subsidized upgrade, you'll have to move to tiered data - not necessarily a Share Everything plan.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Curious, why do others get so agitated when they hear of people actually switching to Share Everything to save money?

Of course, I'm going to sound like I'm defending Verizon here but honestly - it shouldn't really matter to you or me or to anyone other than the person that has to pay the bill. It's like no one on this forum can post about how they saved to Share Everything without someone else jumping in to tell them what a mistake they've made or how they're giving in to Verizon's greed or how Share Everything doesn't work for them.

Everyone's situation is different. No one is forced to switch to Share Everything. If switching can save someone money, they should probably switch. If it doesn't save them money, they should continue what they're doing now.

If a new customer coming to Verizon doesn't like the new Share Everything plan, they shouldn't sign up for Verizon. Again, they're not forced to. There are 3 other major carriers, and dozens of regional and MVNOs available to them.

Verizon will not throttle unlimited 4G LTE. If they change their mind, I'm sure they'll give notice like they've done with unlimited 3G.

Those who are supposed data hogs, go ahead an continue. Verizon isn't stopping you.

For the 100th time, i dont care if someone switches and saves money. What bothers me is when people keep saying that they cant see why anyone needs unlimited. I know some people do like the plans, but some are trying to justify it the plans by dismissing unlimited.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For the 100th time, i dont care if someone switches and saves money. What bothers me is when people keep saying that they cant see why anyone needs unlimited. I know some people do like the plans, but some are trying to justify it the plans by dismissing unlimited.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3

...I've gone back and looked at every post in this very thread.

I don't see where people "keep saying they can't see why anyone needs unlimited". Nor do I see where people are justifying the new plans by "dismissing unlimited".

The only quote I could pull was this one -

Unlimited plans are a bit absurd in the current market based on the fact that there's high demand for a limited resource.

which sort of makes sense as the market is shifting where data holds the value instead of calling minutes and text messaging allotments. Calling them absurd may be a stretch but the thought it is pretty spot on. Supply/demand. The market is shifting.

But since you seem to need the last word, this will probably be my last reply to you in this thread.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
They used all of the early subscribers (to help test) starting with the thunderbolt. The hotspot was $30 extra. We all basically helped test their 4g.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII

Last edited:

Noble_Logistics

May 28, 2011
Visit site
My problem with VZW is that they push apps like Netflicks, Blockbuster, Navigator, Cloud storage and Hot Spot service while only offering an "unlimited" data plan. Now they want to switch the pricing structure. They will allow us to share less data for more money. This might save me some money now, until they drop the next phase of the plan on us. Perhaps nobody really needs unlimited talk and text halfway through the next contract cycle.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
There is a lot of mis information in this thread existing customers do not need to switch and are not going to be forced to. You can change your existing minutes and features, even add lines to existing Nationwide Family Share Plans (up to the 5 max).

If you want to get a new device at subsidized pricing you have two choices

1. Keep your plan and select one of the tiered data plans introduced last year
2. Switch to Shared Everything.

For more info please read the link in my sig.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My problem with VZW is that they push apps like Netflicks, Blockbuster, Navigator, Cloud storage and Hot Spot service while only offering an "unlimited" data plan. Now they want to switch the pricing structure. They will allow us to share less data for more money. This might save me some money now, until they drop the next phase of the plan on us. Perhaps nobody really needs unlimited talk and text halfway through the next contract cycle.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

As long as carriers position themselves as more than just dumb pipes, they will continue to market the features and applications that can run on their network.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
As long as carriers position themselves as more than just dumb pipes, they will continue to market the features and applications that can run on their network.

That's fine as long as they make the data prices reasonable. They aren't going to get many takers for the services they are plugging if it costs an arm and a leg to use them. I don't consider the current share everything plan data prices reasonable for using the heavy data applications they are marketing.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That's fine as long as they make the data prices reasonable. They aren't going to get many takers for the services they are plugging if it costs an arm and a leg to use them. I don't consider the current share everything plan data prices reasonable for using the heavy data applications they are marketing.

The next few quarters will tell if Verizon has made a huge mistake.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
The next few quarters will tell if Verizon has made a huge mistake.

Not necessarily. Given the complexities of service pricing, it's pretty difficult to determine why revenues go up or down since there are many factors.

There are many people, myself included, that buy their service for coverage and reliability. Verizon has now and will have the largest amount of nationwide LTE network coverage at the end of 2013 with their whole exisiting 3g footprint covered by it. At that point, they'll probably start filling in additional markets they don't already have, start deploying VoLTE, and start deployment of AWS LTE. This is where Verizon shines and this is why many people will pay them for their service at the rates they offer.

However, they are absolutely smoking something if they think that users like me are going to burn precious tiered data on garbage they were paid to promote and force on to my phone. Given that data speeds exceed DSL and nearly match cable service, data cost per GB should have gone down rather than up. It's quite possible if they had offered more data for each pricing tier, that they might have encouraged their wireless subscribers to use the adware applications that they were paid to deliver users for and give the advertisers value for their money.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Not necessarily. Given the complexities of service pricing, it's pretty difficult to determine why revenues go up or down since there are many factors.

There are many people, myself included, that buy their service for coverage and reliability. Verizon has now and will have the largest amount of nationwide LTE network coverage at the end of 2013 with their whole exisiting 3g footprint covered by it. At that point, they'll probably start filling in additional markets they don't already have, start deploying VoLTE, and start deployment of AWS LTE. This is where Verizon shines and this is why many people will pay them for their service at the rates they offer.

However, they are absolutely smoking something if they think that users like me are going to burn precious tiered data on garbage they were paid to promote and force on to my phone. Given that data speeds exceed DSL and nearly match cable service, data cost per GB should have gone down rather than up. It's quite possible if they had offered more data for each pricing tier, that they might have encouraged their wireless subscribers to use the adware applications that they were paid to deliver users for and give the advertisers value for their money.

My billing period ended today and I used 1.3 GB of data which is a lot for me. I could easily switch to a tiered plan but its principle. I paid $30 for unlimited data for years and the supposedly soft cap set in place was 5 GB before it was considered excessive usage. If this cap had any truth to it, I wish Verizon would have at the very least made 2 GB $15 or $20 and made the 5 GB plan a $30 option.
The main reason I don't use much data is I have access to a home network most of the time. Comcast offers fast speeds that 4G will never match so I will never use this as a primary.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
My billing period ended today and I used 1.3 GB of data which is a lot for me. I could easily switch to a tiered plan but its principle. I paid $30 for unlimited data for years and the supposedly soft cap set in place was 5 GB before it was considered excessive usage. If this cap had any truth to it, I wish Verizon would have at the very least made 2 GB $15 or $20 and made the 5 GB plan a $30 option.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Exactly! This is the main problem i have is that the price of tiered data doesn't make sense. They don't make a lower tier seem like a value. They just charge the same price , for way less data. Sell the value of a lower tiered plan to someone who's been paying a premium rate for only using 1 or 2 gigs. The new plans are simply a rip off.

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk

braveally

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Went into verizon for a replacement. Guy trying to tell me that since I changed the minutes on my plan it could put me on the new shared plan and kick me off unlimited data. *whuuuut?* i asked for a supervisor who corrected him but it sounded like the way the system there is set up now they're trying to trick people into the new plan. If you go in for *anything* make sure you tell them you don't want the new plan. He told me if it's just a replacement and a minutes change its not a new contract.

He still said i should call CS just in case it automatically s my unlimited.

They want people off unlimited data like a teenage boy on prom night wants to see boobies

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk
Just read this post and immediately called Verizon to change my minutes. I had 900 and barely ever reached 200 a month (or maybe if I include my 5 free numbers). I am impressed. I assumed they would do everything in their power to change my unlimited data, but they didn't! I will check online to confirm but that was awesome. Now it's worth it again. I hated paying so much for minutes I didn't need. Funny because she was really specific in ensuring me that
Now it's time to start saving pennies for a GS3, or find a good deal on a Gnex for some Jelly Bean action. Thanks for posting this.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Just read this post and immediately called Verizon to change my minutes. I had 900 and barely ever reached 200 a month (or maybe if I include my 5 free numbers). I am impressed. I assumed they would do everything in their power to change my unlimited data, but they didn't! I will check online to confirm but that was awesome. Now it's worth it again. I hated paying so much for minutes I didn't need. Funny because she was really specific in ensuring me that
Now it's time to start saving pennies for a GS3, or find a good deal on a Gnex for some Jelly Bean action. Thanks for posting this.

I suppose you went with the 450 minute plan? If you talk to the right person at Customer Service, they may offer you Friends and Family on this plan at no additional charge. My best friend and I both were offered it upon request a little bit over a year ago. I did this because I was paying for a 900 minute plan and I only used 100 minutes out of those 900 because my friends and family have Verizon mostly. For the few that don't I'm using Friends and Family with their numbers to save money. :)

Verizon told me that since I've been a customer since 2009 (not to long at that time), always paid my bill on time, and barely use any minutes, that I could get it.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
There is a lot of mis information in this thread existing customers do not need to switch and are not going to be forced to. You can change your existing minutes and features, even add lines to existing Nationwide Family Share Plans (up to the 5 max).

If you want to get a new device at subsidized pricing you have two choices

1. Keep your plan and select one of the tiered data plans introduced last year
2. Switch to Shared Everything.

For more info please read the link in my sig.

That's not mis-information. It's what everyone is mad about.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
That's not mis-information. It's what everyone is mad about.

The mis conception is that you have to change the PLAN, and you don't. You can keep the old plans as long as you want. The ONLY thing that changes for existing customers is Unlimited Data is no longer available when you upgrade. But the plan (minute and texting buckets) is still available.

I get why people are upset, and to a degree I share it, but there isn't anything we an do about it.