Vzw hates that you have unlimited data

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
There's certainly some truth to that explanation. However, I'd rather VZW just handle it with their current throttling policy (for 3G only now) wherein they throttle those largest users when on 3G but only when the tower that the large user is on is congested. Having them slowly push unlimited users off their plans is annoying though; I'd imagine we'll see additional pushes to get unlimited users to tiered/shared data plans in the future.

Glad to hear someone is saving money with the new plans though!

True but in the not too distant future nobody will have unlimited data on vzw. I say in a year or so.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Android Central Forums

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
good luck with that. For those of us that pay full retail, they better "entice" us....unlimited for ever, educated and armed.

- - - Updated - - -

True but in the not too distant future nobody will have unlimited data on vzw. I say in a year or so.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Android Central Forums

Lay down the hammer, where did you hear that they nixed us? Credible? Or just a tiny opinion, lol.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
On average people use 2gb. But they want a family of 5 who all use an average of 2gb each to share 2gb. Make the lower plans cheaper and it will actually be a value.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

The cost of entry seems high but the more shared GB you add the cheaper the per GB cost. Everything above 2GB figures out to be only $5 per additional GB.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The cost of entry seems high but the more shared GB you add the cheaper the per GB cost. Everything above 2GB figures out to be only $5 per additional GB.

Go sales man, go! I bet many bite. Not us though, but we rape VZW, and keep them hating...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
as Ry just said you get ONE data plan that is shared by up to 10 devices

In your situation you have 2 smartphones at $40 each so $80 for the phones.

Then assuming you want 4GB of shared data $70 ($80 if you want 6GB for a safety blanket)

Total $110 (pr $120)

On the old system

2 phones with 700 Minutes and unlimited texting $100
2 (non sharable) 2GB data plans 2x30 =$60

So a total of $160

You just saved $50 going to the new plan AND you now have unlimited minutes, you can use tethering/hotspot, AND you dont need to worry about overages if one of your phones goes over the 2GB limit

It's no skin off any of our noses if you want to keep the old plan but honestly who doesn't want to save $50/month?

Yup. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

plkevlar

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
So just for the fun off having unlimited data, I updated nova 3 (a 1.6gb update :)) cuz I could. I love knowing I can use somebody's entire month of data allowance in twenty minutes or so

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Go sales man, go! I bet many bite. Not us though, but we rape VZW, and keep them hating...

Whatever dude haters gotta hate. No one is making you move to the new plans if you dont want to. But once they let go of the idea of the holy grail of unlimited data, that most people dont really need, and take a look at what they are actually using and do the numbers the majority of everyday users DO save money. Not everybody but a good amount.

As for me I have no incentive to get users on the new plans if they dont want it. I dont make commission and I dont get kickbacks for plan changes, and users are allowed to stay on their old plans (minus unlimited data) if they want to. It's really no skin off my nose either way.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I must not be understanding the "Shared Everything" plan correctly. From what I've read it's virtually impossible to save....

Current plan: 2 unlimited plans @ $30 each = $60 bucks.

Shared plan: 2 data plans @ $40 each (that may be where I'm wrong) plus data charges over 2 gigs = around $80 to $100 bucks.

My wife and I personally use just over 2 gigs per month each on just our phones.

Am I missing something??

2 gigs = $60
4 gigs = 70
6 gigs = 80
etc.....
the $40 are line fees. Basically for the unlimited text and messaging.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I just never understood how they can justify charging unlimited data ($30) prices for only 2 gigs. I just don't see the value there.

Also I posted the OP, I get it, the vz rep I had was an idiot.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just never understood how they can justify charging unlimited data ($30) prices for only 2 gigs. I just don't see the value there.

Also I posted the OP, I get it, the vz rep I had was an idiot.

Probably justified it by seeing that average use was around 2GB.

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I must not be understanding the "Shared Everything" plan correctly. From what I've read it's virtually impossible to save....

Current plan: 2 unlimited plans @ $30 each = $60 bucks.

Shared plan: 2 data plans @ $40 each (that may be where I'm wrong) plus data charges over 2 gigs = around $80 to $100 bucks.

My wife and I personally use just over 2 gigs per month each on just our phones.

Am I missing something??

Yes you are missing something. The data its self maybe more expensive but you need to look at the entire plan. Currently if I were to get the plan for me and my wife at 4 gbs, it would be $150 a month for the two of us (before taxes) but that also includes unlimited calling and texting. I'm on the cheapest calling and family plan with only 1000 texts for my wife and none for me. We pay around $150 after taxes. If we had a higher minutes calling plan or texting then the shared data plans would actually save use money as the unlimited plans with more minutes/texting are more money, so it is possible to save.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Probably justified it by seeing that average use was around 2GB.

At least that's the average use Verizon claims. If they wanted to be fair they would go slightly above average at 4 GB but they don't. Its all about overage charges. That's the money maker right there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
At least that's the average use Verizon claims. If they wanted to be fair they would go slightly above average at 4 GB but they don't. Its all about overage charges. That's the money maker right there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

And there's nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

moke

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
actually, ANY future dated order will prevent the rep from issuing any currentdated orders untill the pending order is completed.

what a knowledgable rep could have seen to do was to cancel the future dated order, place the requested current dated order, refreshed, and then placed the future dated order once again. some reps lack the ability to do this because they were "never told" to...

the only caveat to this is that there are some orders that can only be placed successfully by reps with id or authorization ...tier I reps may have an adjustment level of say 25.00 and anything above that amount needs managerial approval while tier II reps may have an adjustment level of 250.00 before needing managerial approval.Tier II reps are not going to be exposed to as many needs to issue bill credits, but when they do, they tend to be larger.

I know that SFO orders (Single Feature Orders) are not the same as Bill Credits, i was just using the images i did as EXAMPLES.

such is the nature of corporate logic, and it seems to work too,for many companies manage to make a profit. :eek:

---------- Post Merged at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Last edited:

crb

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
oh yeah. and I'm fighting it to the death. at a minimum, I'm keeping my last 12 months of unlimited data. but then....decision time. do I keep the flagship of Verizon 4G LTE??? probably not. or do I try ebay for an 'verizon approved' phone, and hopefully keep my unlimited data??? OR, do I pay $500-600 full price for two new phones??? definately not. damn you, verizon.

I'm in the same boat.

Can anybody recommend a good source for refurbished phones? Other than eBay preferably as I haven't had good luck with eBay electronics.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't take a refurb even if it was the only phone left in the world. I can't speak for them in general, but I've yet to have a good one. I've tried multiple brands and they all had issues with them. Sometimes even worse than the problem on the phone I was turning in to exchange (all warranty exchanges for factory refurbs btw). So in my experience and opinion, a refurb isn't worth the risk.

crb

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't take a refurb even if it was the only phone left in the world. I can't speak for them in general, but I've yet to have a good one. I've tried multiple brands and they all had issues with them. Sometimes even worse than the problem on the phone I was turning in to exchange (all warranty exchanges for factory refurbs btw). So in my experience and opinion, a refurb isn't worth the risk.
I'm not thrilled about refurbished phones either, but I don't want to drop $650 a piece for 2 smart phones to keep my unlimited data. I use too much data (14-22gig a month) to go to their new plan. My wife uses less data less than 2 gig usually.

This whole deal with the unlimited data and having to pay full retail price for phones ticks me off. It also concerns me, what if we drop $1300 on 2 new smart phones and Verizon drops us. What then?

I'm strongly considering switching back to sprint. I would like to keep Verizon as they have a little bit better coverage, but even with my current plan I will save quite a bit switching to sprint. I may switch to sprint for the principal of it.

Also possibly considering switching to ATT again as they at least have s 20 gig share plan. Not sure if I'm blacklisted at ATT as they dropped me in the middle if the night because I complained about service daily after the merger. :)

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm not thrilled about refurbished phones either, but I don't want to drop $650 a piece for 2 smart phones to keep my unlimited data. I use too much data (14-22gig a month) to go to their new plan. My wife uses less data less than 2 gig usually.

This whole deal with the unlimited data and having to pay full retail price for phones ticks me off. It also concerns me, what if we drop $1300 on 2 new smart phones and Verizon drops us. What then?

I'm strongly considering switching back to sprint. I would like to keep Verizon as they have a little bit better coverage, but even with my current plan I will save quite a bit switching to sprint. I may switch to sprint for the principal of it.

Also possibly considering switching to ATT again as they at least have s 20 gig share plan. Not sure if I'm blacklisted at ATT as they dropped me in the middle if the night because I complained about service daily after the merger. :)

If your wife uses less that 2gb of data then she can get the subsidy and move to a tiered plan. Therefore you would only need to buy one full priced or pre owned phone. Just because she moves from unlimited does not mean you have to.

Secondly... Verizon offers up to 20gb shared plans too.

Sent from my Razr

Last edited:

crb

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
First off.. If your wife uses less that 2gb of data then she can get the subsidy and move to a tiered plan. Therefore you would only need to buy one full priced or pre owned phone. Just because she moves from unlimited does not mean you have to.

Secondly... Verizon offers up to 20gb shared plans too.

Sent from my Razr

The largest plan I see with Verizon is 10gb with the option to add 2gb for $10, and a $15 per gb overage.

I called Verizon on Tuesday and they were almost no help. The rep I talked to didn't seem to know anymore than I did. How can she switch and not me if we are on a family plan? Would we both move to individual plans? Not sure if it would save us any money other than getting a discounted phone.

I may have to go into a corporate store and talk with someone that can go through the options with me. The people on the phobe are simply no help.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
There is a 20gb share plan its $150.00 they don't advertise it but its available

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon