Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Discount on new Share everything plans?

My current unlimited plan has 3 smartphones and one dumb phone. I have a 15% discount that is applied to the basic $80 plan plus the 9.99 for my line. Does anyone know how this discount will work with the share everything plans?

It would be applied to the data portion of your bill and not the device charges.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Discount on new Share everything plans?

Hmmm. Yet another way to get hosed. Currently my discount is $13.50 ($80 + $9.99 * 15%). Under share everything, I would need the 4gb plan at $70.00. That only gives me a $10.50 discount.

So in summary:

$120 - 3 smart phones @ $40
    $ 30 - 1 dumb phone @ $30
    $ 70 - 4 gb data plan
    -$10.50 - discount (15%)
    $209.50 plus fees, taxes, etc.

Currently, I have family plan as follows:

$80 - 700 shared minutes that we never use.
    -$13.50 discount (15% on $80 + 9.99)
    $36.38 for my smartphone (9.99 + 29.99 unlimited data plan - $3.60 feature discount)
    $39.98 for my wife's smartphone (9.99 + 29.99 unlimited data plan)
    $39.98 for my Son's smartphone - same as above
    $ 9.99 for my Daughter's dumb phone
    $192.83 plus fees, taxes, etc

Share everything is not a good deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jwehrer View Post
    Hmmm. Yet another way to get hosed. Currently my discount is $13.50 ($80 + $9.99 * 15%). Under share everything, I would need the 4gb plan at $70.00. That only gives me a $10.50 discount.

So in summary:

$ 70 - 4 gb data plan
    -$10.50 - discount (15%)

$36.38 for my smartphone (9.99 + 29.99 unlimited data plan - $3.60 feature discount)

Are you missing a text plan in your current bill somewhere? If not, then it does sound like you'd be better off waiting until you upgrade to reevaluate switching to the new plans.

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

So in summary:

$ 70 - 4 gb data plan
    -$10.50 - discount (15%)

This is what 99.9% of us have been saying for weeks. The truth is everyone is getting away from calling and moving to more texting and data.
    Yet, Verizon is giving everyone unlimited minutes like they're doing us a favor. Then, they are smacking us with these $40 per smartphone device fees. Someone just made up this fee to balance out the bill in their favor. It is totally unjustified.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Hokiesteve: I thought I had a 9.99 unlimited texting charge too, but don't see it on my bill at all.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Central Forums

Hokiesteve: I thought I had a 9.99 unlimited texting charge too, but don't see it on my bill at all.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Central Forums
    After you mentioned that, I realized that Verizon bundles the unlimited text in with the voice plan, so the $80 covers that. It sounds like you're better off staying on your existing plan.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Shared plan would cost about $90 for me.

Currently I pay $70 and I have unlimited data...
    pcsperson likes this.

Global Posts
    472 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

They apply the discount to the data package and the primary line. That is what vzw told me about my military discount.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

On the old plans the 700 minutes with unlimited texting was $99.98 not $80 for the first two lines.

I was very reluctant. Didn't like the changes. Then I decided to be logical and check into it. I get a corporate discount. It is saving me around 30 a month. So am switching

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,325 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    I was very reluctant. Didn't like the changes. Then I decided to be logical and check into it. I get a corporate discount. It is saving me around 30 a month. So am switching

Based on your posting history, you were the last person I thought would ever switch to Share Everything.

Me too! LOL. I will admit that.

I decided to check it out. I thought i used a lot of data and it turns out not really. So, why not make the switch if it is going to save me money. I do get a corporate discount and it is saving me even more making the switch. I really thought I used a lot more data than I do so am very surprised. I am glad I decided to check it out and not be so close minded as I was. I don't know though if it will realistically benefit everyone. 10 gig is the highest and for those families that use more than that, don't know what other options will be out there.
    I think it would behoove Verizon to think about those familiies who do use more than the alloted 10Gig aplan. I had initially thought I needed the highest amount and I also thought I was additionally adding onn my laptop and my tablet, but not the case. Just the Mifi......
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,325 Global Posts

I decided to check it out. I thought i used a lot of data and it turns out not really. So, why not make the switch if it is going to save me money. I do get a corporate discount and it is saving me even more making the switch. I really thought I used a lot more data than I do so am very surprised. I am glad I decided to check it out and not be so close minded as I was. I don't know though if it will realistically benefit everyone. 10 gig is the highest and for those families that use more than that, don't know what other options will be out there.
    I think it would behoove Verizon to think about those familiies who do use more than the alloted 10Gig aplan. I had initially thought I needed the highest amount and I also thought I was additionally adding onn my laptop and my tablet, but not the case. Just the Mifi......
    I think there's an unadvertised 12GB option for $120.

What portion will your corporate discount go on, the line access fees or the total?

Global Posts
    472 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post

What portion will your corporate discount go on, the line access fees or the total?

The discount is applied to the data package and one line.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Turned out saving me a lot. And in August. AT&T is coming out with theirs. So the carriers are following. Verizon

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Turned out saving me a lot. And in August. AT&T is coming out with theirs. So the carriers are following. Verizon

Nobody is following anybody. These 2 are price fixing the wireless market. They are colluding behind the scenes while spending millions lobbying our bought Congress.

If you go from unlimited data to share everything.. You losing money period

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post

It goes all the way up to $150 for 20 GB on the plan selection page on the Verizon site.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,325 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Droid3r View Post

There are clearly some customers that are going to save money by switching.

And Verizon isn't forcing any existing customer to switch. If it's going to be more expensive, you don't have to switch.

Nobody is following anybody. These 2 are price fixing the wireless market. They are colluding behind the scenes while spending millions lobbying our bought Congress.

I am not losing money. My bill is dropping. I am not a data hog so it benefits me. I thought at first I would lose out but am not. And I also still have my Corp discount
    It won't be good for everyone. It is good for me

Originally on 900 plan add unlimited text. Then I have the mifi. Jetpak internet. With my CORP discount was 163
    New plan will have 40 for phone 20 for the jetpak. My choice of data is the 6 gig which is 80.00 but my discount is 64.00
    I have been averaging 4 gig of use. So am not worried. So do the MATH. I am saving..... My base before tax and the extended warranty and ringback tones 124.00. So how is this more?
    I always come close to the 900 min and I also use the 5 free. Unlimited talk is good for me.

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

I personally find all this noise interesting... "It's not costing me anything..." "I am saving money..." "I don't use much data..." blah blah blah...

There are some simple "laws of physics and garbage" that we all seem to forget. Remember back in the days of the internet where your Windows XP machine and 1Gb of DRAM would scream on your 1.5Mb DSL line? Then all of a sudden, you had 6Mb and your XP machine was a complete pig. What nobody was watching was all the embedded garbage being tossed out there on many popular websites. Of course, then came file sharing and media streaming.... So here it goes:

If you are satisfied with your 3G device and your current contract plan, then all is good -- until your 3G device turns into a Pentium III platform. My opinion is that is a mere 18 months away. Your data utilization is going to no less than double as content providers pump more unwanted garbage to you. Stuff that is beyond your control (unless you subscribe to the philosophy of Nietzsche) and you will be forced into consuming more data.

No, this is not a conspiracy but rather the natural evolution of the ways of, for the sake of a simple term, "The Internet." Yes, you will be forced to consume more data for no fault of your own other than you will want no wires and you will want access at times without wifi. And you will pay for it and no one will be saving money other than those who don't buy anything. If you are a participant, you will pay. If you choose not to participate, it's the only way to save.

Quote Originally Posted by oldAGE View Post
    I personally find all this noise interesting... "It's not costing me anything..." "I am saving money..." "I don't use much data..." blah blah blah...

There are some simple "laws of physics and garbage" that we all seem to forget. Remember back in the days of the internet where your Windows XP machine and 1Gb of DRAM would scream on your 1.5Mb DSL line? Then all of a sudden, you had 6Mb and your XP machine was a complete pig. What nobody was watching was all the embedded garbage being tossed out there on many popular websites. Of course, then came file sharing and media streaming.... So here it goes:

If you are satisfied with your 3G device and your current contract plan, then all is good -- until your 3G device turns into a Pentium III platform. My opinion is that is a mere 18 months away. Your data utilization is going to no less than double as content providers pump more unwanted garbage to you. Stuff that is beyond your control (unless you subscribe to the philosophy of Nietzsche) and you will be forced into consuming more data.

No, this is not a conspiracy but rather the natural evolution of the ways of, for the sake of a simple term, "The Internet." Yes, you will be forced to consume more data for no fault of your own other than you will want no wires and you will want access at times without wifi. And you will pay for it and no one will be saving money other than those who don't buy anything. If you are a participant, you will pay. If you choose not to participate, it's the only way to save.

This is the exact reason my dad uses a dumb phone on Verizon. And in an even cheaper move, my brother and mom still use the $15 every 3 months on Virgin Mobile. Not the best service but it does the trick. My mom always tells me that it's a corporations goal to take all of my money and it's my goal (or fight) to keep the money. Who's going to win?

I looked into the prices for future reference. I have a XOOM 2 but it's Wi-Fi so I have no need for this plan yet. But if I decided to go with 4G LTE in my next tablet, I'm looking at $150 a month for the 20 GB Plan. I don't think I'd use it up each month, but close to it as I'd be watching Netflix. Right now, I don't do it but I could easily do it then. My current bill at the moment is $77 a month after taxes and corporate discounts with the following:

450 Minutes w/ Friends and Family
    Unlimited Text and Internet
    WPP Insurance

After doing the math, if I did have a tablet on my line and was forced to switch to a tiered data plan, I'd be at $120 for the data plan because of a 20% discount on data and an additional $50 for a phone and tablet. How in the world is this acceptable for 20 GB of data? Now, granted, I went all in while doing this math for an example since I have unlimited at this moment. I could probably live with less as I have home internet and always will due to the reliability and speeds. But even if I went lower in my plans, it's still ridiculous. I'm sure some people save depending on how many lines and data usage. But at the maximum amount, I was looking at close to 40% of my monthly car payment just on cell phones. Yikes!

Not necessarily so. I'm seriously considering switching from unlimited to 1 of the new share everything plans. I'm consistently using less than 1 gig of data per month. In fact it's more like less than half a gig because most of my usage is at home on my own wifi. If you think about it that way, unlimited is wasted on people like me with such low data usage.

However, I just got a nexus 7, my first tablet, and I'm a little bit afraid as to what might happen if I do switch. I'm on my nexus 7 constantly since I got it. I swear I'm addicted. I tried the bluetooth tether and that doesn't work quite as well as I need it too. If I do switch it will probably save me about 15 dollars a month. To keep my unlimited plan and add hotspot to be able to tether away from my home network I have to add 30 dollars a month to my bill. For me that route is losing money but switching would save me money.

It kind of boils down to value being in the eye of the beholder or in this case the holder of the wallet.

Sent from my AWESOME Nexus 7 via Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast