What are your thoughts?

GDroid4

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi, ive been eligible for an upgrade since January but was totally satisfied with my rooted incredible 2. Well my Dinc2 went for a swim 3 days ago so now im forced to use my upgrade. It wasnt until I was in the store looking for a replacement when i found out there was no more unlimited data. So I said screw that ill find a phone myself and left. Well im not in the financial position to buy a new phone outright right now, and I really dont want to lose unlimited, however I need a phone bad.

I believe ive only gone over 2 gigs a couple times but the thought of having to moniter it really sucks. So i ask; Is it worth waiting a while before I find a new, affordable phone and keep unlimited, or should I just go upgrade for a fraction of the price and lose unlimmited? Im terrible at decision making and keep going back and forth about this.

What would you do? Thanks in advance..

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi, ive been eligible for an upgrade since January but was totally satisfied with my rooted incredible 2. Well my Dinc2 went for a swim 3 days ago so now im forced to use my upgrade. It wasnt until I was in the store looking for a replacement when i found out there was no more unlimited data. So I said screw that ill find a phone myself and left. Well im not in the financial position to buy a new phone outright right now, and I really dont want to lose unlimited, however I need a phone bad.

I believe ive only gone over 2 gigs a couple times but the thought of having to moniter it really sucks. So i ask; Is it worth waiting a while before I find a new, affordable phone and keep unlimited, or should I just go upgrade for a fraction of the price and lose unlimmited? Im terrible at decision making and keep going back and forth about this.

What would you do? Thanks in advance..

That is totally your call. Only you know your money future. If you can not buy one out right then I say move on to the shared plans. Don't but your self in a financial bind for a phone. That in of it self is not worth it.

Reactions: GDroid4

GDroid4

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
True story, I would be going without a phone for probably a couple weeks to not put myself in a bind financially. Considering it was my house phone, work phone, and PC when I needed it on the go, Im thinking im going to just get the shared plan. But the thought is making me feel like Im giving up the battle of good vs evil and letting the dark side win lol.

Thank you for giving me your thoughts, it is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: cgardnervt

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thunderbolts are going on ebay for under $200 and ever the Razr, Nexus, and Maax can be had for under $350. Buying from Ebay does carry a little more risk, but it's much cheaper than paying full retail and you can still keep unlimited.

Heck, if you have gradfathered unlimited, you can probably purchase a 3g phone like a Droid X or even a OG Droid for a pittance and keep Unlimited.

GDroid4

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Thunderbolts are going on ebay for under $200 and ever the Razr, Nexus, and Maax can be had for under $350. Buying from Ebay does carry a little more risk, but it's much cheaper than paying full retail and you can still keep unlimited.

Heck, if you have gradfathered unlimited, you can probably purchase a 3g phone like a Droid X or even a OG Droid for a pittance and keep Unlimited.

This is true but i feel like I need something up to par with my Dinc2. It was easy to root, fast, powerful, and 8mp camera which blew any iphone camera out of the water. Im concerned about buying a phone and being unsatisfied with it just to keep unlimited which I may not use.

Hate how indecisive I am over this.. Just afraid of making a bad decision lol, but hank your for giving me your thoughts.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Craigslist, eBay.

I'd actually recommend the Craigslist route- but make sure you meet at a Verizon store to do the transaction just so you can be completely sure everything's good to go.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't go shared because once you get a data cap you'll keep going over it. I would need to be offered at least 5 GB for $30 that could be shared before I'd ever switch. I don't use much data but I wouldn't go without that safety net.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't go shared because once you get a data cap you'll keep going over it. I would need to be offered at least 5 GB for $30 that could be shared before I'd ever switch. I don't use much data but I wouldn't go without that safety net.

That's cool for your situation.

However, I'm sure people that post here that do switch are aware of the monitoring they need to now that they're capped on data. Seems like people are so quick to jump all over the people that are giving up their unlimited data plans to save money now.

You're not paying their bill. People need to do what's right for them.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That's cool for your situation.

However, I'm sure people that post here that do switch are aware of the monitoring they need to now that they're capped on data. Seems like people are so quick to jump all over the people that are giving up their unlimited data plans to save money now.

You're not paying their bill. People need to do what's right for them.

I hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way. :)

All I meant was I couldn't do it and made a suggestion based on my opinion. :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way. :)

All I meant was I couldn't do it and made a suggestion based on my opinion. :)

It's not you. It's other people.

If anyone posts anything about switching to Share Everything to save money, a few will feel obligated to jump in and post about how they've made a huge mistake.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's not you. It's other people.

If anyone posts anything about switching to Share Everything to save money, a few will feel obligated to jump in and post about how they've made a huge mistake.

True, its almost as if no one can have their own needs. I must be a horrible person for driving an Acura TSX and not a Prius. Lol

Reactions: Ry

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this will help, but if you are the only person under the share everything plan, you're pretty much going to get wacked finanacially. I know 15 people (family's and singles) with verizon, and only 2 of them actually save money, and they are not heavy data users. I have unlimited right now, and I upgrade next June. I will end up paying 30 bucks more a month if I go with the tiered plan with 10GB a month.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I switched to share data and with my corporate discount saving a lot. I only used about 4g with everything. I got the 6 gig. I am not worried and the savings is great.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I switched to share data and with my corporate discount saving a lot. I only used about 4g with everything. I got the 6 gig. I am not worried and the savings is great.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

As my mom always said to me- The job of corporations is to take all of my money and my job is to keep it. Who will win?

I would rather have money in my pocket than waste it. That's why I may consider switching to a tiered plan at upgrade as I don't really need it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As my mom always said to me- The job of corporations is to take all of my money and my job is to keep it. Who will win?

I would rather have money in my pocket than waste it. That's why I may consider switching to a tiered plan at upgrade as I don't really need it.

Careful. You don't want to speak of even considering switching to Share Everything or any tiered data on this forum or you'll be accused of working for Verizon. :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Careful. You don't want to speak of even considering switching to Share Everything or any tiered data on this forum or you'll be accused of working for Verizon. :)

People sure can be ridiculous. :)

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I have looked at switching, but right now the savings for our family plan are pretty minimal. I think it would be about $10-20 a month. If Verizon upped the data on the shared plans just a little it would be a big savings and we would probably jump to a shared plan. I would like to see something like 12 GB for they are currently charging for 10 GB.

Will be interesting to see what Verizon does about the new tethering ruling. My guess is the days of throttling for unlimited will be coming pretty quick.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have looked at switching, but right now the savings for our family plan are pretty minimal. I think it would be about $10-20 a month. If Verizon upped the data on the shared plans just a little it would be a big savings and we would probably jump to a shared plan. I would like to see something like 12 GB for they are currently charging for 10 GB.

Will be interesting to see what Verizon does about the new tethering ruling. My guess is the days of throttling for unlimited will be coming pretty quick.

A free throttle service and a premium service at the normal hotspot rate. I could see this coming.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
This is true but i feel like I need something up to par with my Dinc2. It was easy to root, fast, powerful, and 8mp camera which blew any iphone camera out of the water. Im concerned about buying a phone and being unsatisfied with it just to keep unlimited which I may not use.

Hate how indecisive I am over this.. Just afraid of making a bad decision lol, but hank your for giving me your thoughts.

So buy a new DInc 2... they should be readily available now that the DInc LTE is available.