Question on verizon's unlimited plan and hotspot

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
According to the verizon website if I wanted to add hotspot to my current unlimited account it would cost me 30 dollars per month on my current unlimited plan. If I wanted free hotspot I would have to switch to 1 of the new share everything plans. I would like to use hotspot to tether my nexus 7 to my phone as wifi because bluetooth just isn't cutting it.

Can anyone tell me if they can do this with their phones without adding hotspot to their unlimited account? I've gotten some confusing information and I'm just trying to clarify.

It would be pointless and cost me $10 more per month to add my nexus 7 tablet to my verizon account because it does not have a verizon radio in it so I'm looking at doing a tether with my phone.

Sent from my AWESOME Nexus 7 via Tapatalk 2 :)

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
You have a couple options. As you noted, you can add hotspot to your unlimited account for a monthly fee ($30) , but I'd be sure that you can add and remove it without losing unlimited before actually doing so.

You can go over to the Share Everything plans, which include free tethering.

Or, you can tether without a plan. There are apps out there that allow you to do it-sometimes even without root (depends on phone and software). Verizon will call you out on it if they catch you tethering without a plan, but from my understanding as long as you aren't using prolific amounts of data, they won't notice. I can't really give a recommendation on an app for this though, as I've never tethered myself.

Reactions: ShaggyKids

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I prefer to do things on the up and up so I guess I have to decide between my 2 options and I ain't spending another 30 bucks a month. Thank you :)

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
What I'd really like to do is try it so that I can get some idea of how much data I would realistically use. I think I'll take your suggestion thank you.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
You can look in settings (Settings->Wireless and Networks->Data Usage) after using the Nexus 7 on WiFi for awhile to look at how much data is used by application.