Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
In the rate instance I don't have sprint connectivity, I roam on vzw...

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

There is a misconception that all Sprint devices roam on Verizon when they dont have service but Verizon does and that isn't the case. That is only selected markets and in most cases is voice only.

You're fortunate that you live in an area where those agreements are in place but most people don't.

Also read the fine print your data roaming is limited to something like 300 MB as I recall so you cant depend on it too much.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
There is a misconception that all Sprint devices roam on Verizon when they dont have service but Verizon does and that isn't the case. That is only selected markets and in most cases is voice only.

You're fortunate that you live in an area where those agreements are in place but most people don't.

Also read the fine print your data roaming is limited to something like 300 MB as I recall so you cant depend on it too much.

I'm not worried about the 300mb. Sprint will only terminate after 3 CONSECUTIVE months of over that.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My sister and niece were upgrading from feature phones to RAZR Maxx' today and the representative was very pushy towards the Share Everything Plan. Kept on telling them that they would save $20 per month by doing it but I wouldn't allow it. I went in today to stop this from happening and I'm glad they did. I'm sorry, but to compare the Share Everything' price of 1 GB and act as if it's any cheaper is ridiculous. For $60 a month, they each get 2 GB to work with. For $50 a month, they get 1 GB to SHARE. How is this a deal? But wait, it gets even worse! When I told him his $20 savings is a bunch of crap, he looked at me and told me "No, not at all". I explained to him that you MUST compare an equal value of data for a fair comparison sake and he wasn't having it. Come on, really? I finally told him it's a moot point anyways because they will be adding my nephew to their plan for I believe it's $10 for a feature phone on a normal Family Plan. Why is this important? Feature Phone on Share plans are $30. There goes the $20 savings he was speaking of and they would have had MUCH less data.

...I bet the employee wasn't happy with me. I was obviously there to ruin any chance of getting them to switch. He even went and did the math despite the fact I told him that there is NO reason to do it as I've already been informed as to how much of a rip off these plans are. I know he was just doing his job, but anyone with any knowledge would QUESTION why 1 GB of data is being compared to 4 GB of data total. Let's compare a 4 GB plan and see the savings, okay?

BTW - they're on the Family 700 plan. My information is based off the reps calculations.

Last edited:

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
My sister and niece were upgrading from feature phones to RAZR Maxx' today and the representative was very pushy towards the Share Everything Plan. Kept on telling them that they would save $20 per month by doing it but I wouldn't allow it. I went in today to stop this from happening and I'm glad they did. I'm sorry, but to compare the Share Everything' price of 1 GB and act as if it's any cheaper is ridiculous. For $60 a month, they each get 2 GB to work with. For $50 a month, they get 1 GB to SHARE. How is this a deal? But wait, it gets even worse! When I told him his $20 savings is a bunch of crap, he looked at me and told me "No, not at all". I explained to him that you MUST compare an equal value of data for a fair comparison sake and he wasn't having it. Come on, really? I finally told him it's a moot point anyways because they will be adding my nephew to their plan for I believe it's $10 for a feature phone on a normal Family Plan. Why is this important? Feature Phone on Share plans are $30. There goes the $20 savings he was speaking of and they would have had MUCH less data.

...I bet the employee wasn't happy with me. I was obviously there to ruin any chance of getting them to switch. He even went and did the math despite the fact I told him that there is NO reason to do it as I've already been informed as to how much of a rip off these plans are. I know he was just doing his job, but anyone with any knowledge would QUESTION why 1 GB of data is being compared to 4 GB of data total. Let's compare a 4 GB plan and see the savings, okay?

BTW - they're on the Family 700 plan. My information is based off the reps calculations.

Finally someone who understands! I've read this entire thread trying to find someone I can relate to. The thing that bugs me is I can get 2gb of data for 30, but if I want to share 2gb with my son it costs us 60! How is that a deal? 2 gb is 2gb, if it costs $30 in one scenario it should cost $30 in the other.. That's why I was looking forward to a share plan, thinking we could share 2gb for $30 instead of each getting our own. And in our current plan if I add a non-smart-phone it costs $10, now it costs $30 . . so for me to switch to share everything my $10 phones are now $30 or $40. I'm told though that its a savings if I have more than two smartphones, but not if that phone now costs me 40 a month to add instead of 10.

Our scenario: 3 feature phones, 2 smart phones . . . 90 (2 phone plan) + (3 add. phones x 10) = 120 + 60 (2x 30 data) = 180
share everything: 3x 30 = 90 + 2x 40 = 170 + 60 data = 230 plus in this plan I have to share data . . I just don't get it :/

Last edited:

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
If you do not need the extra minutes or testing, then it may not be the plan for you.

My wife and I have two smartphones on a 700 minute plan (usually do not use half of the shared anytime minutes), no texting (that is what Google Talk and Voice are for) and two data plans as well as a dumb phone line we keep for upgrades and emergency. If we switched to the Share Everything Plan we would have to eliminate our dumb phone security and upgrade line and still pay more.

For us it does not make sense. However I know people who have multiple lines and use a lot of texts and minutes. They come out much better with the Share Everything plan.

My point is this. If it is to your benefit with what you have, don't change it.

Sent from my second brain.. Okay it is the only one working.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I think what a lot of people are missing here is that the shared plans are more flexible and scale able. Right now 2 (or 4 for those that got in on the double data promo last year ) GB of data is sufficient for most people but as time goes on data needs will increase and the data usage will go up and these plans allow you to buy an additional 2 GB of (shared) data for only $10 vs the $15/GB overage fee.

The system is not perfect obviously but to dismiss it outright is a bad idea as well. I too wish there was a better option for low minute users and hopefully the system will be tweaked at some point.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Max HD using the Android Central Forums app.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
But I still can't see where they charge a user $30 for 2 gb but then if you want to share those 2gb you pay $60 ?! That's just wrong anyway you look at it. You don't go to a restaurant and order a $30 meal and if you say you want to share it they charge you $60 . . . just sayin

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
But I still can't see where they charge a user $30 for 2 gb but then if you want to share those 2gb you pay $60 ?! That's just wrong anyway you look at it. You don't go to a restaurant and order a $30 meal and if you say you want to share it they charge you $60 . . . just sayin

Actually some restaurants do charge more for for a meal that they know you are going to share or charge for something like bread sticks that are normally free if you only order one entre for tow people. Its not right but it happens.

This is no different than when Verizon charged you $20 extra for tethering but didn't give you any more data to go along with it. Or every carrier charging you for texting something that costs them next to nothing. It sucks but there isn't anything you can do about it.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Well just to be clear I'm not picking a fight with you, I have read through this entire post and I have appreciated your level-headed, clear, and thoughtful responses to everyone. When I initially posted I was not challenging you personally on anything, just expressing my displeasure with verizon - actually, more specifically my disappointment that after months of waiting for the rumored family share plan it ends up costing me more; so shame on me for having expectations of maybe getting a better deal :/

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Well just to be clear I'm not picking a fight with you, I have read through this entire post and I have appreciated your level-headed, clear, and thoughtful responses to everyone. When I initially posted I was not challenging you personally on anything, just expressing my displeasure with verizon - actually, more specifically my disappointment that after months of waiting for the rumored family share plan it ends up costing me more; so shame on me for having expectations of maybe getting a better deal :/

Its all good I wasn't taking anything personal. I too am frustrated. I was really hoping the shared plans would save me money. As it is I am one of the ones to see my bill more or less the same or a tad higher depending on my data choice.

I'm glad the thread has been helpful :)

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
OP....very good post! I read all it, including replies, and I am much more informed about shared data than i was prior to reading this post. however, it's very funny what some people think is "average" data usage. IMO, 9GB a month is excessive. and I do agree that running to another carrier is fruitless, because eventually they will all do away with unlimited data. it just makes financial sense to do so. I have a buddy with Sprint who swears up and down they will never do it....and I have a big Crow Pie for him to eat when they do.

my wife and I upgrade in July, and I have a feeling we will need at least 8GB for sharing data, me being the "heavy" user. My bill goes up, but like many others, I LOVE the superior network Verizon offers, dropped calls are almost non-exisistent, very important for someone who works two jobs and has limited time for business and personal calls. thanks again for the post, it is much appreciated.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

You have to remember data packages are bundled so you have to look at the whole picture.

The difference is in the price you pay for voice and text. With the new plans its a flat $40 per line for unlimited text and voice instead of voice packages starting at 70 for 700 min shared and 30 for unlimited text. Basically Verizon played the shell game pricing where they moved around where you pay while marginally increasing the average per subscriber fee.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. They just shifted the values in the overall package and took the opportunity to add a modest price hike for some users to have more revenue to fund the LTE rollout. Not saying I like it but hardly the worst thing in the world.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
OP....very good post! I read all it, including replies, and I am much more informed about shared data than i was prior to reading this post. however, it's very funny what some people think is "average" data usage. IMO, 9GB a month is excessive. and I do agree that running to another carrier is fruitless, because eventually they will all do away with unlimited data. it just makes financial sense to do so. I have a buddy with Sprint who swears up and down they will never do it....and I have a big Crow Pie for him to eat when they do.

my wife and I upgrade in July, and I have a feeling we will need at least 8GB for sharing data, me being the "heavy" user. My bill goes up, but like many others, I LOVE the superior network Verizon offers, dropped calls are almost non-exisistent, very important for someone who works two jobs and has limited time for business and personal calls. thanks again for the post, it is much appreciated.

And just start paying closer attention to how much data you actually use and try to use WiFi when possible.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Verizons quarter 3 numbers will be a abysmal. Just watch. This share everything is not gonna fly. They will come up with a complete overhaul by years end. Mark my words.

Second who are you to say whats alot of data used and whats not. Im sick of these verizon apologist come here and spew their diatribe . I use 30gb of LTE data a month and i consider that mid to high average. These verizon fraudster take into account blackberry users and iphone users data (slowww 3G usage )when making up those numbers.

I say if you have unlimited data buy your phones off ebay/retail because all that money youll save on a verizon upgrade will be spent on data overages.

PEACE!!!!

VERIZON GALAXY S 3

Wrong ... Verizon actually gained 1.8 million customers in Q3.

Clearly your views (while common in forums like these ) are in the minority with general consumers. Verizon has and has historically had among the lowest churn in the industry and this shows no sign of changing anytime soon.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
From what I was told by a VZW rep and from what other posters on this forum and on other forums have actually done, it is possible to keep unlimited data and get a subsidized phone using the unlimited data line's upgrade if you have another line that has capped data on the same Family Share plan.

What you do is transfer the upgrade from your unlimited data line to the capped data line. Then buy the subsidized phone on the capped data line and activate it on the capped data line. Then switch the new subsidized phone to your unlimited data line and put the phone that was originally on the capped data line back on the capped data line.

Some are saying you will be kicked to share everything if you do this because you get your contract renewed on your unlimited line BUT others have actually done this and provided proof that they were not kicked to share everything and were able to keep unlimited data and still use the upgrade originating from the unlimited data line.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
From what I was told by a VZW rep and from what other posters on this forum and on other forums have actually done, it is possible to keep unlimited data and get a subsidized phone using the unlimited data line's upgrade if you have another line that has capped data on the same Family Share plan.

What you do is transfer the upgrade from your unlimited data line to the capped data line. Then buy the subsidized phone on the capped data line and activate it on the capped data line. Then switch the new subsidized phone to your unlimited data line and put the phone that was originally on the capped data line back on the capped data line.

Some are saying you will be kicked to share everything if you do this because you get your contract renewed on your unlimited line BUT others have actually done this and provided proof that they were not kicked to share everything and were able to keep unlimited data and still use the upgrade originating from the unlimited data line.

Please keep the thread on topic. The purpose of this thread is to discuss Shared Everything and how it effects existing customers, not teaching others how to exploit a loophole in the system.

Loopholes like this won't exist for long and as the thread caretaker I don't want to have to continually explain why why the loophole is closed. You already have a thread for discussing this.

And yes your last statment is correct. You dont have to move to share everything. Those that loose unlimited can stay on the nationwide plans and choose from the tiered data plans introduced about a year and a half ago starting with $30 for 2 gb of non shared data.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The bottom line, to go from $30 unlimited to $50 for 1gb of data is extremely drastic. I have a 900 min plan with a $20 talk n text discount (unlimited texting) and $30 unlimited data on a droid incredible 2. I pay $89 monthly with taxes included (also have an employee discount attached to this plan 19%). I use about 2 to 2.5gb of data depending on the given month. How can a guy like me, 12+ years with Verizon justify this kind of increase? Its unbelievable and I plan on using my device until it dies, and will switch over to a more reasonable carrier going forward.. Reluctantly of course.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The bottom line, to go from $30 unlimited to $50 for 1gb of data is extremely drastic. I have a 900 min plan with a $20 talk n text discount (unlimited texting) and $30 unlimited data on a droid incredible 2. I pay $89 monthly with taxes included (also have an employee discount attached to this plan 19%). I use about 2 to 2.5gb of data depending on the given month. How can a guy like me, 12+ years with Verizon justify this kind of increase? Its unbelievable and I plan on using my device until it dies, and will switch over to a more reasonable carrier going forward.. Reluctantly of course.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

How much would your overall bill - not just data - go up on share everything?

By my math your curent plan pre discount is $110 ($80+30)

On share everything with 4gb of data (since you indicated 2 gb wasnt sufficient) it would be the same $110 ($40 for the phone and $70 for the data). For that you're getting more data than you're using now , unlimited minutes ( vs the 900 you have now ) and you can use your phone as a hotspot which you'd have to pay an extra $30 for on your curent plan ).

I'm not seeing where your plan goes up. What am I missing ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech