1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default 4GLTE versus "Extended 4GLTE" on Map

A couple of months ago, I got 4G LTE at work. Yay! Actually irrelevant since I have WiFi at work, but nice to have nonetheless.

However, Verizon's coverage map shows 4G LTE all the way from work to home for me, and I'm well inside the coverage zone at home. The difference is that the 4G coverage changes from "Verizon 4G LTE" to "Verizon 4G LTE Extended" about 5 miles from home. My signal consistently drops from 4G to 3G the instant I cross that line (and OpenSignalMaps shows me hopping to a tower inside the "Verizon 4G LTE Extended" coverage area).

I have never been able to acquire an LTE signal in any "Verizon 4G LTE Extended" zones. Verizon's coverage map simply states "** Access the 4G LTE network within the Verizon Extended Coverage Area; certain conditions may cause your service to connect to 3G in this Area."

Apparently, "certain conditions" means "never", at least for an HTC Thunderbolt.

Has anyone had any luck getting LTE coverage in a "Verizon 4G LTE Extended" or "Extended 4G LTE" area?

Yes, but its spotty at best. You're not in a direct area but you reach the outer skirts of the 4G towers range thus why it changes between the two. Only way to solve this is wait for your main tower to expand to a 4G tower.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: 4GLTE versus "Extended 4GLTE" on Map

Ah, so it's more of a "in theory, on a perfect day, your phone might be able to reach one of the more-distant 4G towers if you stand on the roof and hold it just right after sacrificing a chicken" sort of things. Theoretical maximum range of the tower as opposed to the tested/realistic range.

I did notice about 2 miles from my house that I locked into a tower inside the "real" 4G zone once according to OpenSignalMap, and had a brief and shining moment of 4G in the "extended" zone. Then I took two more steps and it went bye bye. Still locked to the tower, but at insufficient signal strength to sustain 4G.

Ah, well, I have WiFi at home and work, and little need for fast signal in between. I suppose if I was desperate I could put the antenna for the repeater I need at home inside a Pringles can and point it in the general direction of 4G territory and slaughter a goat.

Thanks for the clarification. That was sorta my guess.

Whoops was reading two threads at same time posted wrong one.
    Last edited by Xaanos; 08-15-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    Ah, so it's more of a "in theory, on a perfect day, your phone might be able to reach one of the more-distant 4G towers if you stand on the roof and hold it just right after sacrificing a chicken" sort of things. Theoretical maximum range of the tower as opposed to the tested/realistic range.

I did notice about 2 miles from my house that I locked into a tower inside the "real" 4G zone once according to OpenSignalMap, and had a brief and shining moment of 4G in the "extended" zone. Then I took two more steps and it went bye bye. Still locked to the tower, but at insufficient signal strength to sustain 4G.

Ah, well, I have WiFi at home and work, and little need for fast signal in between. I suppose if I was desperate I could put the antenna for the repeater I need at home inside a Pringles can and point it in the general direction of 4G territory and slaughter a goat.

Thanks for the clarification. That was sorta my guess.
    Exactly, so close yet so far away. I'm sure the Pringles can will work. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Is their an amplifier or 4G Version repeater that does not cost an arm or a leg like the Wilson 4G repeaters? I thought the Pringles can only worked for WIFI and having an external antenna on the phone or WIFI card.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by barrytest View Post
    Is their an amplifier or 4G Version repeater that does not cost an arm or a leg like the Wilson 4G repeaters? I thought the Pringles can only worked for WIFI and having an external antenna on the phone or WIFI card.
    Amazon.com: zBoost YX-510 Cell Phone Signal Booster Dual-Band Unit for Home or Office: Cell Phones & Accessories

This is the unit I use. It's been in service since 2008, and I've been reasonably happy with it. It sure beats having to stand on one foot next to a window on odd Tuesdays when the moon is full in order to get a signal indoors. It doesn't cover a huge area inside the house, but anything within about 20 feet or so seems to work OK. It's not perfect, but it's the only way for me to get cell service, which I need for work when I'm on call.

I installed the antenna part on the roof and the repeater portion indoors. It took a decent bit wiring and drilling a hole in my house. So this isn't a "slap it in and done" install - but it's been totally worth it to me.

There's a newer model that looks to be cheaper. I can't attest to its quality since I've only ever used the YX-510.

Amazon.com: Wireless Extenders zBoost YX545 SOHO Dual-Band Cell Phone Signal Booster for Home and Office up to 2,500 sq. ft. of Coverage: Cell Phones & Accessories

I could "cantenna" the external antenna if I needed it to be directional. But I seriously doubt I could bias it to a 4G antenna anyway - there's a 3G tower directly between me and "4G country".

I checked out zboost web site. They claim there will be a verizon 4G verizon released in August. No pricing at this time. Thanks for the response
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by barrytest View Post
    I checked out zboost web site. They claim there will be a verizon 4G verizon released in August. No pricing at this time. Thanks for the response
    Good point that I forgot to mention. The one i have is a 3g device only. It repeats 900 and 1800 mhz if I remember.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X

I've been looking for signal boosters recently. If there is a 4G booster coming out soon, I'll probably just wait for the Zboost. From the research I've done, WiEx's prices are lower than Wilson's and they get comparable reviews