Upgrading my additional line that does not have a data plan.

loyolacs

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I currently have 4 lines on my account. The main line is a smartphone with unlimited data (grandfathered). The 2nd line is an additional smartphone with unlimited data (grandfathered). We also have a basic line with no data for my daughter. This is an LG Cosmos which shares our minutes and texting, but has no data. We also have a tablet that has 2GB data.

The first line was upgraded in early June before the unlimited plans went away.
The second line has an upgrade available on 9/13/2012.
The 3rd line (with no data) has an upgrade available on 3/19/2013.

I realize that if i upgrade my smartphone and use the discount on the 2nd line when it becomes available on 9/13/2012, i will lose my unlimited and be switched to a shared plan.

If i do this, will it switch the plan for all phones to the shared data??

Additionally. If i wait until 3/19/2013 and use the upgrade on the non-data phone to get a new smartphone at the discounted price, will this change my plan to one of the new shared plans? When we initially signed up the 3rd line, i added a phone i already had, so i was able to use the upgrade for my 2nd line to get a Thunderbolt at a discount. The 2nd line was not currently ready for an upgrade and transferring the upgrade from the new line to the 2nd line only extended the 3rd line contract date. It did not extend the 2nd line date. This makes me believe that if i wait until i can upgrade the non-data line, and use that upgrade for a discounted smart phone, i should be able to keep my unlimited data, because i am not changing any plans that have data.

Is this possible?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I currently have 4 lines on my account. The main line is a smartphone with unlimited data (grandfathered). The 2nd line is an additional smartphone with unlimited data (grandfathered). We also have a basic line with no data for my daughter. This is an LG Cosmos which shares our minutes and texting, but has no data. We also have a tablet that has 2GB data.

The first line was upgraded in early June before the unlimited plans went away.
The second line has an upgrade available on 9/13/2012.
The 3rd line (with no data) has an upgrade available on 3/19/2013.

I realize that if i upgrade my smartphone and use the discount on the 2nd line when it becomes available on 9/13/2012, i will lose my unlimited and be switched to a shared plan.

If i do this, will it switch the plan for all phones to the shared data??

Additionally. If i wait until 3/19/2013 and use the upgrade on the non-data phone to get a new smartphone at the discounted price, will this change my plan to one of the new shared plans? When we initially signed up the 3rd line, i added a phone i already had, so i was able to use the upgrade for my 2nd line to get a Thunderbolt at a discount. The 2nd line was not currently ready for an upgrade and transferring the upgrade from the new line to the 2nd line only extended the 3rd line contract date. It did not extend the 2nd line date. This makes me believe that if i wait until i can upgrade the non-data line, and use that upgrade for a discounted smart phone, i should be able to keep my unlimited data, because i am not changing any plans that have data.

Is this possible?

I would avoid upgrading any of the data lines if you prefer to keep unlimited data on that specific line. You will NOT be required to switch to a Share Everything plan by upgrading. You're eligible to stay on your current Family Plan upon upgrade. When the basic phone is eligible for an upgrade, you could extend that lines contract and get a smartphone and than switch it to your line. The data plan will than be removed from the basic phones line and it will be as if nothing happened other than an extended line contract. Verizon is advertising the Share Everything plans but there is the option for the representative to choose the older Family Plans or Single Line Plans. Just be sure to be clear with your intentions and make sure to confirm and get print outs of all of your plan details because some representatives have been known to sneak Unlimited Data off.

Source: I did this before and I confirmed with several Verizon representatives over the phone. I'm sure VZWRocks can come in here and confirm it when he sees this but you should be good to go.

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
You can update your 3rd line to a smart phone and not be forced to Share Everything. They might hard sell you on it but you're by no means required to change to it. The 3rd line will have to be on tiered data which is $30 for 2GB.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You can update your 3rd line to a smart phone and not be forced to Share Everything. They might hard sell you on it but you're by no means required to change to it. The 3rd line will have to be on tiered data which is $30 for 2GB.

Unless he were to use the upgrade and instantly change it over to his line

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007